Theatre Fan3
#150Matilda!
Posted: 12/31/22 at 10:21am

lotiloti said: "Pre order BD on Amazon UK

Roald Dahl's Matilda the Musical [Blu-ray]: AmazonSmile: sony: DVD & Blu-ray

I imagine on sale in UK only.

You will need a multi region player
"

Surely that's a misprint  ... the release date is listed as May 25. 2024 ... also says "Return policy: Returnable until Jan. 31, 2023" ... makes absolutely no sense!

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#151Matilda!
Posted: 1/2/23 at 7:46pm

A special mention for Alisha Weir's accent. She sounds so natural, you wouldn't guess she's not actually British.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Rentaholic2
#152Matilda!
Posted: 1/3/23 at 10:12am

I loved it, but I have a few random thoughts/questions:

In the part of The Hammer where the kids appear in the big lawn with flags, are they supposed to form the Olympics rings at some point?  They have the right colors, and for a brief moment they make circles, but they never actually make the interconnecting rings.  Wasn't that the whole point?  

Was the girl who played Lavender the runner-up for Matilda?  Otherwise seems a bit strange to cast someone who looks so similar to Alisha Weir to be her friend and walking mate. 

I'm not sure I understood why the library was mobile.  Is that actually a thing that exists?  Was that how it was on stage? (I can't remember).  It seemed like it was created just so the library could come to Matilda instead of her having to go to it every few scenes, but then they had her going to various locations where the library was stationed anyway.  

Emma Thompson's delivery of "I've been busy!" was so perfect and will be a useful meme. 

Updated On: 1/3/23 at 10:12 AM

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#153Matilda!
Posted: 1/4/23 at 10:55pm

Rentaholic2 said: "I loved it, but I have a few random thoughts/questions:

In the part of The Hammer where the kids appear in the big lawn with flags, are they supposed to form the Olympics rings at some point? They have the right colors, and for a brief moment they make circles, but they never actually make the interconnecting rings. Wasn't that the whole point?
"

It had to be a wink and a nod to the Olympics, they couldn't outright use the iconography or the IOC would sue them.

Rentaholic2
#154Matilda!
Posted: 1/5/23 at 8:57am

TheatreFan4 said: "Rentaholic2 said: "I loved it, but I have a few random thoughts/questions:

In the part of The Hammer where the kids appear in the big lawn with flags, are they supposed to form the Olympics rings at some point? They have the right colors, and for a brief moment they make circles, but they never actually make the interconnecting rings. Wasn't that the whole point?
"

It had to be a wink and a nod to the Olympics, they couldn't outright use the iconography or the IOC would sue them.
"

They can use it if they get permission, which you would think a big budget movie could manage to do, but maybe IOC declined.  I certainly didn't pick up on what this was a nod to on first viewing and just thought the colors of the flags seemed sort of random.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#155Matilda!
Posted: 1/6/23 at 11:04am

Rentaholic2 said: "They can use it if they get permission, which you would think a big budget movie could manage to do, but maybe IOC declined. I certainly didn't pick up on what this was a nod to on first viewing and just thought the colors of the flags seemed sort of random."

They'd also have to pay them to do it...

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#156Matilda!
Posted: 1/6/23 at 11:08am

TheatreFan4 said: "Rentaholic2 said: "I loved it, but I have a few random thoughts/questions:

"

"

And if I'm not mistaken, the Olympics are notoriously litigious. I remember them suing a bakery for making a display of bagels in the shape of the rings. 

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#157Matilda!
Posted: 1/6/23 at 11:12am

TheQuibbler said: "TheatreFan4 said: "Rentaholic2 said: "I loved it, but I have a few random thoughts/questions:

"

"

And if I'm not mistaken, the Olympics are notoriously litigious. I remember them suing a bakery for making a display of bagels in the shape of the rings.
"

Oh, sorry, I had the details wrong, but a bakery was made to remove a bagel ring display by the local government because "a breach of laws brought in to prevent businesses exploiting the 2012 Games unless they are official sponsors."

Anyway, back to Matilda! 

EponineT
#158Matilda!
Posted: 1/6/23 at 4:13pm

England absolutely has/had libraries inside vans in real life. Billy Elliot (the film) comes to mind; there's one featured in that movie. I suspect for Matilda it allowed them to shoot in different locations but also it mirrors how she tends to be trapped inside (at home/at school) and yet the library is the place where she can be free to dream and explore and having it be mostly outside is a nice representation of that. Just my thoughts.