dear evan hansen question

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#1dear evan hansen question
Posted: 9/25/21 at 10:05pm

I know the basic premise of the show and movie but none of the details. Is it suitable for a 14 year old who has dealt with depression or would it be too much for her?

thanks

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2dear evan hansen question
Posted: 9/25/21 at 10:18pm

This is a complicated question to answer, because the fact is that many 14 year olds with mental health issues have, in fact, flocked to Dear Evan Hansen, as many of them relate to issues presented in the stories. So in that sense, yes, it's possible that she will find it meaningful and validating. 

But there is a lot of debate over whether Dear Evan Hansen actually handles its subject matter well, whether its messaging is actually constructing, and whether it provides a good example to young people. Many say no. 

I would advise that you read a plot synopsis, and use your judgement based on your knowledge of your daughter to decide whether it feels right for her. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#3dear evan hansen question
Posted: 9/25/21 at 11:30pm

As the above poster noted, it’s a very popular show with teens. I suggest you both read a synopsis, discuss with your daughter if she feels she would like to see it after knowing what it’s about. Let her know that if she doesn’t like it you can leave at any time. If you both decide to see it, consider taking her for dinner or to a coffee house to process reactions and discuss after.

You’re a thoughtful parent for thinking of her feelings and possible reactions.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#4dear evan hansen question
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:54am

thank you for your help... I thought it might be something to do together but I think we're going to steer clear to be on the safe side.