pixeltracker

What is your favorite recording of a musical that's never been produced?

What is your favorite recording of a musical that's never been produced?

SomeOtherMe Profile Photo
SomeOtherMe
#1What is your favorite recording of a musical that's never been produced?
Posted: 12/30/21 at 8:37pm

I've been on a studio cast recording kick lately. It's interesting when you really only have the music to judge a musical on if there's never been a professional production anywhere. What are some of your favorite recordings from a musical that has never been produced?

Updated On: 12/30/21 at 08:37 PM

SomeOtherMe
BarnabyTucker Profile Photo
BarnabyTucker
#3What is your favorite recording of a never produced musical?
Posted: 1/3/22 at 3:19pm

I thought the demo recording for Pasek and Paul's JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH was lovely and had the strongest Dahl identity for any musical adapted from his work.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#4What is your favorite recording of a never produced musical?
Posted: 1/3/22 at 4:03pm

I suppose depending on how 'professional production' is defined, a lot of recordings would be out of contention due to having had a small-scale, but technically professional (those involved were paid), production at some point.

If it's any help, you could try browsing at https://castalbums.org/recordings/browse/ and filtering by the types 'Concept Recording', 'Demo Recording', and/or maybe 'Studio Cast'. There may be a few interesting ones in the results that might not have had productions yet.

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#5What is your favorite recording of a never produced musical?
Posted: 1/3/22 at 4:25pm

The only thing that comes to mind I can speak to with certainty is the demo recording for MISERY: THE MUSICAL which got shut down pretty quickly. I'm sure there are others I've heard that have never been staged...but I'm coming up short. I believe songs from KICKS have been professionally recorded--and of course I've heard the live reading recording, but it's never been staged. Also while I don't have access to the recordings, from what I've heard of SUBURBIA, I absolutely love it.

Again, as Fan123 noted, it's hard to know how 'professional production' is defined -- do you consider professional to be commercial, or would a regional production where actors are paid count (regardless of Equity status)? 

SomeOtherMe
#6What is your favorite recording of a never produced musical?
Posted: 1/3/22 at 4:59pm

Again, as Fan123 noted, it's hard to know how 'professional production' is defined -- do you consider professional to be commercial, or would a regional production where actors are paid count (regardless of Equity status)?"

Hmm... I suppose in terms of this specific question, when I said professional production, I would be referring to those that would probably fit into the "commercial" realm. Not really thinking of those that maybe had a regional production in a small theater that not many people saw (though I understand those would technically be professional)

Updated On: 1/3/22 at 04:59 PM