pixeltracker

Digital copy of Finishing the Hat/Look, I Made a Hat?

Digital copy of Finishing the Hat/Look, I Made a Hat?

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#1Digital copy of Finishing the Hat/Look, I Made a Hat?
Posted: 1/5/22 at 6:40pm

Does anyone know if there was ever a digital version of Sondheim’s Collected Lyrics? For some reason I seem to recall something like a Kindle edition. I have hard copies of the books but lately I’ve been thinking it would be wonderful to take them on the train and read a bit here and there and I was disappointed to find that no digital copy is available for purchase. Anyone happen to know why and if there ever was one?

TotallyEffed
#2Digital copy of Finishing the Hat/Look, I Made a Hat?
Posted: 1/5/22 at 7:21pm

Also, while we’re at it: has anyone had issues with discoloration on the dust jackets of the hardcover editions?

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#3Digital copy of Finishing the Hat/Look, I Made a Hat?
Posted: 1/5/22 at 9:59pm

Yes the jackets are very susceptible to sun damage, particularly the pink one. 

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#4Digital copy of Finishing the Hat/Look, I Made a Hat?
Posted: 1/5/22 at 11:49pm

I, too, wish these volumes were available for the Kindle and the Kindle App.

The pink dust jacket has definitely faded on my copy, too.

TotallyEffed
#5Digital copy of Finishing the Hat/Look, I Made a Hat?
Posted: 1/6/22 at 10:07am

What a shame. Hope I can get my hands on the UK editions one day, I much prefer that design.

TotallyEffed
#6Digital copy of Finishing the Hat/Look, I Made a Hat?
Posted: 6/23/24 at 1:53pm

I have first editions of these books and I am almost certain Sondheim released a statement or update in one of the later editions with some kind of apology to Nathan Lane. He retracted his harsh comments about the Broadway production of The Frogs but I can’t for the life of me recall where. Can anyone confirm this for me? Did I make it up?

spicemonkey
#7Digital copy of Finishing the Hat/Look, I Made a Hat?
Posted: 6/23/24 at 2:01pm

TotallyEffed said: "What a shame. Hope I can get my hands on the UK editions one day, I much prefer that design."

If you keep monitoring eBay, you could probably get the UK edition within a year :) 

i also prefer the UK edition covers. But the papers are not that good. 

TotallyEffed
#8Digital copy of Finishing the Hat/Look, I Made a Hat?
Posted: 6/23/24 at 2:05pm

spicemonkey said: "TotallyEffed said: "What a shame. Hope I can get my hands on the UK editions one day, I much prefer that design."

If you keep monitoring eBay, you could probably get the UK editionwithin a year :)

i also prefer the UK edition covers. But the papers are not that good."

I just spent the last few minutes on eBay. :) 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#9Digital copy of Finishing the Hat/Look, I Made a Hat?
Posted: 6/23/24 at 2:13pm

TotallyEffed said: "I have first editions of these books and I am almostcertainSondheim released astatement or update in one of the later editions with some kind of apology to Nathan Lane. He retracted his harsh comments about the Broadway production of The Frogs but I can’t for the life of me recall where. Can anyone confirm this for me? Did I make it up?"

I can't remember where but you're not making this up, feel like it was in the opening of the second book somewhere he said his comments about the Frogs were too harsh. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TotallyEffed
#10Digital copy of Finishing the Hat/Look, I Made a Hat?
Posted: 6/23/24 at 2:21pm

You are absolutely right, binau, it's in his reintroduction of the second book, I just found it! The mention of Nathan Lane in the reintroduction wasn't included in the index in the back so I started thinking it must be in a later edition. But thanks to you I was able to find it, thank you! Now I need to know if later editions of the first book edited his comments out.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#11Digital copy of Finishing the Hat/Look, I Made a Hat?
Posted: 6/23/24 at 9:19pm

What did he say about The Frogs that was so harsh?

Videos