pixeltracker

Nathan Lane and Laura Bush- Page 2

Nathan Lane and Laura Bush

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
#25re: re: nathan lane was in laura's bush
Posted: 2/9/04 at 12:57pm

lol, i'm offering a 3 day seminar in how to be a kinder gentler war mongering imperialist dog, just as soon as i can spare some time away from my work with the nathan bedford forrest society, namo.

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

FindingNamo
#26re: re: re: nathan lane was in laura's bush
Posted: 2/9/04 at 1:02pm

Well, they say if you need to get something done, ask a busy person to do it. And I think you're the person for the job. Just give some introductory classes on taking a deep breath, analyzing situations, making informed decisions and backing up statements with facts and Roxy will well be on his way to this kinder gentility of which you speak. For that we'll all be grateful!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#27re: re: nathan lane was in laura's bush
Posted: 2/9/04 at 1:03pm

Including one or two ad-libs in a show is fun, but Nathan Lane does not always know when to quit while he's ahead. There's a fine line between fun and disrespectful.
This explains why Laura Bush was raving about Gypsy on Live with Regis and Kelly this morning, and barely mentioned that she saw The Producers.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

broadwayguy2
#28re: re: re: nathan lane was in laura's bush
Posted: 2/9/04 at 1:35pm

I think SOMEONE vatoed for the Shrub.....

FindingNamo
#29re: re: re: re: nathan lane was in laura's bush
Posted: 2/9/04 at 4:12pm

Disrespectful is what The Producers is all about, TB.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#30re: re: re: re: re: nathan lane was in laura's bush
Posted: 2/9/04 at 5:12pm

I have no problem with people making fun of Bush but there is a time and a place for it and to whom to do it to. I don't believe a situation like a performance is proper for it to his wife and daughters. To humiliate them in front of 1600 people in a situation where they can't fight back is not very professional and I frown upon that.

Lane has a right to his opinions but the First Lady and Daughters did not come to lecture him or give policy awareness speeches, they came to enjoy the show in a low key manner, not trying to pull attention away from the actors and they were not shown respect and this is unfortunate. If Bush had been there I believe it would be different. I think what Lane said is funny but the First Family *minus Papa Bush* was there to be entertained not mocked. They're probably used to it however and Laura is enough of a lady to take it with a grain of salt.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"
Updated On: 2/9/04 at 05:12 PM

#31re: re: re: re: re: re: nathan lane was in laura's bush
Posted: 2/9/04 at 9:50pm

"Papa.... I'm a pretty girl, Papa!"

ilurveJRB Profile Photo
ilurveJRB
#32re: re: re: re: re: re: re: nathan lane was in laura's bush
Posted: 2/9/04 at 10:56pm

you would have walked out? are you really serious about that? would you have gotten up and LEFT! HA. that is hilarious.

i roll my eyes to that as well re: re: re: re: re: re: re: nathan lane was in laura's bush

carly

CaTheatreGirl Profile Photo
CaTheatreGirl
#33re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: nathan lane was in laura's bush
Posted: 2/10/04 at 1:06am

There was nothing humiliating. Hasn't every president in recent years been the subject of some sort of humor? Most of what Nathan said were innuendos and you had to be quick to catch it all. Nathan is the master of ad libs and he was in rare form for about a minute of rapid fire zingers. Very little was said by Matthew other than the "I respect the office" comment which then prompted Nathan to pick up the phone on the desk with the message to Matthew which was already stated by MasterLcZ in his first post, an obvious reference because Matthew was avoiding anything controversial. For those who are always waiting for a Nathan ad lib, they got their money's worth Sunday afternoon.

No, Mr. Roxy, the Bush ladies did not meet with the cast after the show. They were ushered out during the curtain call and their cars were probably gone before the actors had left the stage.
Updated On: 2/10/04 at 01:06 AM

eleven2
#34re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: nathan lane was in laura's bush
Posted: 2/10/04 at 4:43pm

I was also in the front row of "The Producers" matinee on Sunday.

Having only just now read all the earlier comments/debate regarding Nathan Lane's ad libs, I thought it might be pertinent to add that the whole thing started as a jab at the AUDIENCE for not being responsive enough to his line, "Never put your own money into a show", to which he had already added the ad lib "That's taboo" some time back and gotten lots of laughs and quite a bit of press. When the audience evidently failed to respond sufficiently, he said, "That USED to be amusing," which did get a laugh. He went on from there with, "I'm working my ass off and we've got the Nuremberg trials in the front row." As each successive line got more laughs, he continued with similar quips about whether he even wanted to continue the show for this crowd or not, which finally included, "There have to be SOME Democrats in the house!" Matthew Broderick came back with his "I respect the office" comment, which got lots of cheers and applause, and inspired Nathan to pretend to answer the phone on the desk and tell him, "It's for you. Your balls are ready." This entire exchange (which continued on a little further, including the nailing up the fourth wall bit) got huge laughs. I didn't learn until intermission that the Bush women were there (and they were seated only about four rows behind me), so it was only then that I even realized that their presence had apparently prompted that part of the riff. I'm sure there were many in the audience who never realized they were there at all.

I'm pretty sensitive to rude or inappropriate comments, but the spirit of this whole thing seemed neither to me. And since it was the audience, not specifially the Bushes, that prompted the initial break from the script it seemed even less so. If anyone wanted to take issue with Nathan Lane that day, I would be more critical of the fact that he didn't pause between the stage door and his car to greet fans who stood waiting in the freezing cold for half an hour or so following the performance. But having read a number of postings on this site regarding rude celebrities, I am reminded that we have no way of knowing what circumstances might be behind any performer's choice not to be available to fans on any given day. Matthew Broderick was very patient about signing many autographs (and the crowd had waited nearly an hour for him to emerge) which of course elicited favorable comparisons, but in that respect he'd been given an easy act to follow.

CaTheatreGirl Profile Photo
CaTheatreGirl
#35re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: nathan lane was in laura's bush
Posted: 2/10/04 at 7:11pm

Thank you, eleven2. You jogged my memory of what I'd fogotten. The whole situation and Nathan's ad libs were exactly as you outlined and I thought it was very funny, as did the audience. We were howling with laughter and most unaware of who was in attendance to no doubt inspire Nathan. I, too, was in the front row and didn't know the Bush family was there until intermission while trying to get past those burly guys in the aisle (Secret Service agents) to get to other friends in the theater. It was interesting to see how Matthew did not really chime in with the ad libs and was obviously admonished by Nathan with the "your balls are ready" line.

I think it's apparent Nathan is being good about staying healthy and not lingering in the cold after the show. You know the outrage there'd be if he missed a show. At least there are signed Playbills being handed out. As before in their first run, Matthew is still the patient accommodating one, who shyly and quietly goes about signing Playbills and taking pictures. He's most gracious with the crowds and a class act. But I understand Nathan's situation, too.