pixeltracker

London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/4/22 at 4:06am

And at the (London) Sondheim theatre. AMAZING. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Owen22
#2London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/4/22 at 9:32am

I'm going to be in London during that time. I've signed up but I'm guessing tickets are going to be very hard to come by and/or very expensive. I have heard they are going to film it however.

lopside
#3London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/4/22 at 1:10pm

The line-up is just chef's kiss. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/18/22 at 12:22pm

Just got this email which hints at the show being filmed and live-streamed/aired. 

“We appreciate that many of you are disappointed not to have been able to purchase tickets, but we want to let you know that we are finalising plans so that you may be able to share this unique event with us.”

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#5London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/18/22 at 4:39pm

lopside said: "The line-up is just chef's kiss."

Never heard that expression before. Is it good or a 'blow it out your ass' sort of casual 'whatever'?

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#6London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/18/22 at 5:27pm

SweetLips22 said: "lopside said: "The line-up is just chef's kiss."

Never heard that expression before. Is it good or a 'blow it out your ass' sort of casual 'whatever'?
"

It’s like when chefs kiss the tips of their fingers to indicate the taste is perfect. It’s good lol

JSquared2
#7London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/18/22 at 6:17pm

lopside said: "The line-up is just chef's kiss."

That's not a thing.

Stop Trying To Make Fetch Happen Regina George GIF

Jordan Catalano
#8London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/18/22 at 6:22pm

People really don’t know what “Chefs Kiss” means? 

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#9London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/18/22 at 6:43pm

Jordan Catalano said: "People really don’t know what “Chefs Kiss” means?"

Shocking isn't it. Some people don't have the general knowledge that you purport to have. That's why I asked so 'chef's kiss' back to you, the Greek version.

Jordan Catalano
#10London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/18/22 at 7:24pm

My post wasn’t actually written as snark. So back attcha and all that.

kp
#11London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/19/22 at 5:16am

It’s conversations like this that make me an infrequent visitor to this board. The first post was interesting and deserved thoughtful comment. Instead it descends into an ill tempered, bitchy spat, which could have been avoided by ignoring or doing a bit of Googling. Tiresome.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#12London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/19/22 at 6:16am

In the vague tune of 'Last Midnight' and performed by Bernadette Peters as she prepares to fly to London for this concert and decides to read this thread, the time is the present. 

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

It's the last concert
It's the last dish
It's the last celebration
Soon it will be boom
Squish!
Couldn't get a ticket
Missing Steve
Are you?

No, of course what really matters is the snark
Someone you can snark
Fine, if that's the thing you enjoy
Giving the snark
If that's the aim
Give me the snark
Rub it in my face I wasn't nominated for a Tony in Follies or Into the Woods

(((No! (No))))
No?

I'm in a hitch
I'm aging and I can no longer sing the witch
Patti is singing Sondheim on Broadway
Like I should be
But oh, why bother
You'll just do what you do and snark

It's the last celebration
So, goodbye all
Coming at you fast, concert
Soon you'll see Judi Dench sing Clowns when it should be me
Here, you want to bitch?
Have another bitch
This concert was made to make Cam Mac rich!
Just let me sing out like Sam Mendes let me and I'll roar
But no doubt you'll say you wanted more
Well, you can blame the death of Elaine Stritch 

It's the last concert
The last before the hearse
Now, before it's past midnight
I'm leaving you my last curse

I'm leaving you alone
You can tend Broadwayworld it's yours
Separate and alone

All right, Steve, when?
Take me with you again!
Write a new show for me me the way you did then!
Give me vocal strain, crying and a Mandy punch
Just take me away from this bunch
I'll do Square One on Zoom
Or Sweeney in a small Room
Or The Goodbye Girl plume 
London, Here I COMEEEEE

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 3/19/22 at 06:16 AM

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#13London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 4/30/22 at 7:56pm

London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et alAnna-Jane Casey, Bernadette and Bonnie Langford rehearsing You Gotta Get a Gimmick [x]

binau Profile Photo
binau
#14London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 5/2/22 at 4:03am

Beyond excited to see Bernadette on stage again for the first time in over 4 years! 

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#15London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 5/2/22 at 9:45am

binau said: "Beyond excited to see Bernadette on stage again for the first time in over 4 years!"

just saw her in concert with the Toledo Symphony last month, and she is indeed in FINE voice!!!

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

White_Lotus Profile Photo
White_Lotus
#16London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 5/2/22 at 2:49pm

imeldasturn said: "London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et alAnna-Jane Casey, Bernadette and Bonnie Langford rehearsing You Gotta Get a Gimmick [x]"

Oh! We are in for a treat!

And is Bernadette ever not adorable? 

"Opinions are very interesting because we all have different ones. You are entitled to your opinion, but that does not mean you should always give it to others, especially when your opinion is not necessarily grounded in truth, but in what you believe or want to believe."
Updated On: 5/2/22 at 02:49 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#17London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 5/3/22 at 4:35pm

So far it has been a genuine surprise - Bernadette makes an entrance in a red cape (we don’t know it’s her at first), and then sings “I know things now” in character. She then gets to act in character again while someone sings “hello, little girl”. Then sings Children Will Listen as Bernadette in concert. Act one ends with Sunday, Bernadette as Dot and Daniel Evans as George. Jenna Russel nearby. Just beautiful.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#19London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 5/4/22 at 3:37am

Surprisingly despite the understated marketing Bernadette probably had the best role in the concert. In the second act she was in ‘Broadway Baby’, ‘You Gotta Get a Gimmick, Losing my Mind (solo) and Not a Day Goes by. Broadway Baby was hilarious - opened by Julia McKenzie doing an audition then Bernadette walks on acting obnoxiously to upstage before someone else trying the same on her - the song ending as a very impressive group number. Helena Bonham Carter sings a few very off pitch lines (I think intentionally?) and then the joke is 'she gets the part' despite being clearly the least talented at singing, which I thought was a very 'good sport' thing for her to do (somewhat mirroring her role in the Sweeney Todd film).

Bernadette played Mazeppa in Gimmick and she was still acting the whole song, even while in the background and others doing their bits which I loved. Her Losing My Mind had soo much emotion and was so indulgent in the best possible way ('you said you loveeeeeeeee meeeee' so delicately is always Bernadette showing why she is Bernadette for me). I’ve seen her do the song a few times now and listened to many recordings - it’s the same interpretation but you can really feel she is quite affected emotionally by the song and it’s really resonating with the audience in a way I didn’t expect. Those orchestrations just soaring to the audience from the stage even when she wasn’t singing was just so overwhelmingly beautiful. A moment that will stay with me forever. 

And she sings Not a Day Goes by (with a group) to photos of Sondheim!!! She managed to be centre stage for the ovations of every song she was in including end of act one and two. Was this concert written for me?

There were a few other special parts - such as Judi Dench singing Clowns and Michael Ball/Maria Friedman doing some highlights from Sweeney Todd on some of the les mis set. 

When the recording comes out some might notice how much Cam Mack made the show surprisingly about himself. He performed a few lines, has an opening speech, played that old ALW/Sondheim video they made about himself. Just a bit much. I also found it so funny for Imelda Staunton to come and tear the house down with 'Everything's Coming Up Roses' in character straight after Bernadette's 'Losing My Mind' - she did a great job but between this, Cam Mack, Bernadette I couldn't help but chuckle whether we are watching the ego cogs turn of these stars as they get their moment.

Updated On: 5/4/22 at 03:37 AM

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#20London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 5/4/22 at 3:50am

Sounds a lot like they've just taken the whole Sondheim portion from Hey, Mr Producer and gone from there.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#21London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 5/4/22 at 3:55am

Stage/curtain. They had like 5 cameras so I'm sure this will be released one day?

Bernadette at the end of 'Losing My Mind'. Already feels iconic.

Dollypop
#22London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 5/4/22 at 1:30pm

Charlie Stemp was in this but apparently didn't do much.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

imeldasturn
#23London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 5/4/22 at 1:49pm

Dollypop said: "Charlie Stemp was in this but apparently didn't do much."

He sang a couple of lines from Waiting For the Girls Upstairs but he was mainly there to walk Petula Clark on and off stage.

This is a lovely picture:

binau Profile Photo
binau
#24London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 10/20/22 at 5:55pm

Footage of Bernadette's entrance has appeared on YouTube. God it really captures the surprise - I just wasn't expecting it myself and was so exciting!! Has the full "I Know Things Now" too. I would not say it fits her voice well as much as some of the other songs she sang in concert, in particular Losing My Mind - but it is always great to see Bernadette do something new as it doesn't happen often. SHE WAS TRULY THE STAR OF THIS CONCERT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqo_TdnIl6s

Hoping this has a professional release soon. 

A bit surprised nothing similar happened in NYC London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al.

imeldasturn
#25London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 11/29/22 at 4:05am

https://twitter.com/WhatsOnStage/status/1597506933921316864

to be broadcast by BBC over Christmas

Updated On: 11/29/22 at 04:05 AM