pixeltracker

THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH Reviews- Page 2

THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH Reviews

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#25THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH Reviews
Posted: 4/26/22 at 11:45pm

jkcohen626 said: "Why?"

The review indicated that someone working front of house asked the reviewer is she was  planning to leave early.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#26THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH Reviews
Posted: 4/27/22 at 10:40am

UWS10023 said: "jkcohen626 said: "Why?"

The review indicated that someone working front of house asked the reviewer is she was planning to leave early.
"

It's worth looking at what she actually wrote:

"For some, this too muchness, married to Wilder’s bookish mischief, will pall. The intermission doesn’t come until nearly two hours in, and as I walked out into the lobby, an usher asked me if I planned on leaving. Apparently a lot of people do. But if you stick it out, you can find real power in the way the lush design garlands a profound suspicion of human endeavor. Blain-Cruz relegates Wilder’s emphasis on endurance for something more questioning, mostly by giving space to the questions that are already there."

Having seen the production recently, I can attest that there is a fair amount of audience attrition at intermission. I don't think anyone would infer from this paragraph that the critic reviewing the production for the New York Times was ever planning to leave.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#27THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH Reviews
Posted: 4/27/22 at 11:15am

I was not inferring that the critic was planning on leaving. It was just an odd thing for a staff member to say to any audience member.

ardiem
#28THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH Reviews
Posted: 4/27/22 at 4:08pm

To be fair, nowhere did Soloski write that the usher ambushed her with the question. The question could have come naturally over the course of a conversation they were having. The objection here makes it sound as if the usher was polling each audience member about their intentions as they were heading out for intermission.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#29THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH Reviews
Posted: 4/27/22 at 5:13pm

ardiem said: "To be fair, nowhere did Soloski write that the usher ambushed her with the question. The question could have come naturally over the course of a conversation they were having. The objection here makes it sound as if the usher was polling each audience member about their intentions as they were heading out for intermission."

I never insinuated any of this. In terms of customer service, however it happened, the topic of conversation seemed kind of negative to me.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#30THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH Reviews
Posted: 4/27/22 at 10:03pm

UWS10023 said: "I was not inferring that the critic was planning on leaving. It was just an odd thing for a staff member to say to any audience member."

The implication of what you wrote first was that Alexis would be the one getting a talking to. 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#31THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH Reviews
Posted: 4/27/22 at 10:56pm

HogansHero said: "UWS10023 said: "I was not inferring that the critic was planning on leaving. It was just an odd thing for a staff member to say to any audience member."

The implication of what you wrote first was that Alexis would be the one getting a talking to.
"

Oh I see. I guess I wasn’t being very clear. It was something that jumped out at me and I thought most folks would have a similar response but it appears I have been mistaken.

Updated On: 4/27/22 at 10:56 PM

Videos