pixeltracker

SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston- Page 3

SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#50SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/14/22 at 2:41pm

I loved this movie and really liked it at NYTW and while it was still enjoyable I didn't like the changes.

I miss the characters singing pop songs at the start and the Duran Duran. It was so effective to see the characters using songs from the radio as a soundtrack to their lives and then transitioning to singing their own songs. That idea is still there but I don't think it's deployed as effectively as it originally was. It also meant it really was a slow start until we get to the songs. 

I thought the relationship between the brothers was much stronger, clearer and made for a more powerful ending (though I thought the ending was quite wonderful at NYTW). I don't love how the parents and sister characters are now and feel like they don't make much of an impression. I didn't feel that way before. 

The lead gentleman is quite charismatic and talented but just doesn't feel believable in the role. He's a heartthrob and the character is not. He no longer looks like the "younger" brother which sort of warps that relationship. I wish they had roughed him up, altered the writing of the character a bit, or cast someone else. 

Something that sort of bothered me. Ireland at this time (and to some extent still is) was a deeply racist place. Casting this with actors of color and then not addressing what that would mean for those characters seems like a cheat. This is a show written about a real time and real place and verisimilitude is a part of the show. These actors are terrific and I'm glad they were cast... I just wish the production had done right by the characters. Feels like a half-baked diversity oopsie to me. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

barcelona20
#51SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/14/22 at 4:39pm

Something that sort of bothered me. Ireland at this time (and to some extent still is) was a deeply racist place. Casting this with actors of color and then not addressing what that would mean for those characters seems like a cheat. This is a show written about a real time and real place and verisimilitude is a part of the show.These actors are terrific and I'm glad they were cast... I just wish the production had done right by the characters. Feels like a half-baked diversity oopsie to me."

This is a ridiculous take. The show is not about racism in Ireland, it's not Hairspray. Not everything must be black and white, pun intended. I found the show deeply moving and honest.  One can quibble with a few things in the book, but overall it's a great piece of theater.  Like others have mentioned, I do wish Drive it Like you Stole it could have been a bit bigger, but not sure how with the smaller cast.  I think a reprise at the curtain call with the full cast and choreography from the movie might work instead. Finally, if you had told me the choreography was done by Steven Hoggett instead of Sonya Tayeh I would have believed you.  It was excellent, especially the couch ballets.

incomesabby
#52SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/15/22 at 10:13pm

anyone have any opinions on likelihood of them extending beyond the current extension of October 9th? (originally October 2nd closing)

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#53SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/16/22 at 7:10pm

I doubt it will happen due to Huntington's programming for the rest of the year.

incomesabby
#54SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/24/22 at 2:09am

Kinda embarrassed it took me this long to realize that the song Penny (the mom) sings in act 1 is "In Between Days" by The Cure....

This definitely changes my perspective on the show's "non-diegetic" songs (which I don't really view as such now) and score overall, for the better. In Between Days could just be viewed as Penny singing to herself outside, and Faith of our Fathers has always come across fine to me as a typical opening to a catholic school service/event (perfect for the subsequent events/song).

Also didn't realize at first that A Beautiful Sea was led by Raphina at NYTW (or at least on the cast album), which is different now. This should be my last update...

Act 1: Take on Me (just the recording), Riddle of the Model (band), Up (Conor/Eamon + band), Up (Raphina reprise), In Between Days (Penny/Robert), A Beautiful Sea (Conor + band, act 1 closer)

Act 2: Dream For You (band, act 2 opener), Girls (Anne + band), To Find You (Conor), Dream For You (Conor reprise + super short band reprise), Drive It Like You Stole It (band), Up (super short Conor reprise), Faith of our Fathers (Baxter), Brown Shoes (band), To Find You (Raphina/Conor reprise), Go Now (Brendan + most of the cast)

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#55SING STREET begins previews tonight in Boston
Posted: 9/25/22 at 8:43pm

I saw this over the weekend and thought it was decent. Definitely the best of the three Broadway-bound shows that have been in Boston recently (we've been so spoiled!). The start of act one is rough - get us to the music quicker! It reminded me of Sister Act where it took almost all of act one to get us to the singing nuns. Once the band came in to play, it definitely picked up for the rest of the act. Act two is messier.

The show feels overstuffed with too many characters that don't go anywhere. I would cut the sister entirely and even consider cutting the parents, or at the very least giving them something more to do. Our main character is already plagued by so many problems (the mean bully, the mean priest, his girlfriend moving away, his nervousness about his music skills, his nervousness about his stoner brother, etc.) and the parents divorce just doesn't seem to be too problematic to him. He has the one line about his parents not caring about his music, but that's all we get. Build on that more! Or take it out entirely. It's frustrating to see great actors given so little to do. 

I'm surprised not to see more rave reviews about Courtnee Carter. She is an absolute star and blew me away with her incredible voice. If this transfers, she deserves a Tony nomination. 

This review seems harsh, but I really did enjoy it! The staging is fun, the band sounds incredible, and while not normally a fan of videos on stage, I thought they really worked here. I think if they continue to focus the book and character arcs, they could have a hit. It's Spring Awakening meets Once meets Dear Evan Hansen - all best musical winners and ultimately audience successes. Best of luck to them all...... and I can't wait to see Courtnee Carter's career take off.