-J
"

Same! 
Curious if anyone caught last nights preview 

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#4Camp Siegfried
Posted: 10/27/22 at 11:50am

Can't speak of the new production off-broadway but I caught it in London last year and thought it was a really good play.

ccbway
#5Camp Siegfried
Posted: 10/27/22 at 2:36pm

jbm2 said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "just started last night, I will be there Sunday

-J
"

Same!
Curious if anyone caught last nights preview
"

I saw last night's first preview, and I enjoyed the production - it was a crisp 90 minute, no intermission play, held completely by the two young leads, making their stage debuts.  I thought that male lead was very good, and the female lead gave an interesting, slightly eccentric performance - but both were very good.  The stage and set were pretty cool, as they seem to have build a grassy hill on stage.  My only issue was that the setting of the play sometimes seemed a little tangential to the storyline and ending was perhaps slightly a bit unresolved and bit too quickly wrapped up.  But my reaction is still mostly positive.

chrishuyen
#6Camp Siegfried
Posted: 10/30/22 at 1:46am

I've found it tough to connect with slice of life plays overall with a few exceptions, and that's mostly what this is so I can't say I enjoyed it that much.  It's not a bad way to spend 90 minutes (the set itself I thought was worth the visit), and the characters are interesting enough but not necessarily compelling.  I was mostly disappointed in that it was described as a cautionary tale and seemed like it would go on to explore more about homegrown Nazi-ism but that part of the show seemed more sidelined outside of maybe a couple lines. 

The characters clearly each have their own personal traumas but it seems unclear how deep they go, and so for the majority of the show it feels as if this could've been taking place in any summer camp anywhere.  It wasn't until the last few scenes where I wondered more about the purpose of this specific camp and what was being done there, but it happened in a way where I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be thinking about that or if it was just a stray thought on my end.  I can't help but compare it to something like This Beautiful Future, which while coming from a different perspective, I thought had a clearer idea of what the takeaway between the two main characters should be.  I think it would've been more interesting if there had been more of a sinister environment around the two characters, or a larger hint at the political climate, and maybe that wasn't the point, but all of it seemed very surface level, as if they were afraid of digging deeper. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#7Camp Siegfried
Posted: 10/30/22 at 6:34pm

Before I write anything else, I would highly suggest if you are going to see this, wait til after it opens, even at the talkback this afternoon Bess and David Cromer were saying they plan to work on it quiet a bit during previews

This is certainly not a slice of life play, this is a play about a real place that existed where fascism was running rampant...in America..in New York...in the 30s to the above posters comment, I think the sinisterness of it is more subtle

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

The idea of this play is essentially fascism has always existed in this country and people are so susceptible to it

Weirdly it is almost like a American version of This Beautiful Future but the themes and tone are kind of different?

The performances are quiet physically involved and I was impressed but will also say the show gets VERY sexually explicite which I certainly was not expecting, the set is unlike anything I have seen done to the space before  

this has the makings of something really impactful but clearly is still in need of revision which hopefully will come through during the preview process

Videos