West End shows to see?

DebraR
#1West End shows to see?
Posted: 2/25/23 at 5:23pm

Contemplating what to see when our family visits London in May. If anyone has been recently, i'd love any fringe theatre suggestions, not sure how to find out what is really good.  Love musicals but also love discovering new shows.

So far on the potential list (not fringe):

Heathers (my college aged daughters love it)
Bonnie and Clyde
Once on This Island
Cabaret
Guys and Dolls (curious about the standing pit section)
Back to the Future - (not sure)

If anyone has seen any of these shows in London, which are stand outs?

:)

JasonC3
#2West End shows to see?
Posted: 2/25/23 at 7:55pm

For good insights about London and surrounding area shows, always check https://theatreboard.co.uk/.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#3West End shows to see?
Posted: 2/25/23 at 10:09pm

Standing at the sky’s edge 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#4West End shows to see?
Posted: 2/25/23 at 11:49pm

DebraR said: "

Contemplating what to see when our family visits London in May. If anyone has been recently, i'd love any fringe theatre suggestions, not sure how to find out what is really good. Love musicals but also love discovering new shows.

So far on the potential list (not fringe):

Heathers (my college aged daughters love it)
Bonnie and Clyde
Once on This Island
Cabaret
Guys and Dolls (curious about the standing pit section)
Back to the Future - (not sure)
If anyone has seen any of these shows in London, which are stand outs?

:)

"

There is a filmed version of te WE Heathers on Roku. But, per my daughter, it is quite the experience seeing it with the (vocal) audience.

We saw Bonnie & Clyde last summer at the Arts - mostly with understudies and it was terrific. But the Arts is much more intimate and the staging was minimal.  But, we really enjoyed it.

We also saw Cabaret last summer with Fra Fee and Amy Lennox. Best show we saw that trip. We did not win the lottery and splurged on table seats.  No regrets.

Seeing shows at Regents Park is fun, so Once On This Island could be good there.

Operation Mincemeat which opens at the Fortune 29 March has been well reviewed in prior versions. The Fortune is not a large theatre (its where Woman in Black played for decades).  Tickets change based on the day - not the seat location. Tuesday the least expensive (39.50GBP), Friday/Saturday the most (79.50 GBP)

There is much anticipation for The Motive and the Cue at the National. 

Almeida's The Patriots transfers to the WE but starts 26 May so you might miss it.

How to Succeed is at Southwark starting 12 May - I don't know if it's technically fringe.

The Union Theatre has Null Points starting 26 April - it's new and unknown. It's about Eurovision. If you don't know Eurovision, this might not be for you. I've not been to the "new" Union space.

The Hampstead has a new play Biscuits for Breakfast starting 5 May.

Menier has Marjorie Prime until 6 May - so may be dark for your visit

Groundhog Dog is at the Old Vic starting 20 May.

If you venture outside London to Chichester, in May they have The Vortex by Noel Coward and 4000 Miles by Amy Herzog. 

DebraR
#5West End shows to see?
Posted: 2/26/23 at 3:31am

Thanks so much, i'll look into them all!