Joseph at La Mirada in June

BwayLB
#1Joseph at La Mirada in June
Posted: 3/3/23 at 9:16pm

I’m thinking of getting tickets this June for La Mirada Theaters production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I’ve already seen the 90’s Donny Osmond filmed performance. Would you say it’s something of a classic that has aged well?

inception Profile Photo
inception
#2Joseph at La Mirada in June
Posted: 3/4/23 at 7:54am

If it is a show you grew up with, perhaps you might view it as a classic.

I think.it is a bit cheesey.  I saw the production last year at Tuacahn in Utah and they definitely went all out on the cheese and spectacle: a live camel on stage, ariel silks acrobatics, blond Mormons on rigging flying out over the audience.  It was something else.

But the time before that I saw Joseph was at a more traditional, regional theatre production, without all the extra special effects, and it was a snooze.  I personally don't like the heavy reliance on the narrator in this show.

BwayLB
#3Joseph at La Mirada in June
Posted: 3/5/23 at 4:40pm

^ Well I enjoyed the filmed performance. But sound like a mixed bag

tourboi
#4Joseph at La Mirada in June
Posted: 3/5/23 at 6:10pm

I'd say go. It's a fun show. I love the piece, and loved the 91 revival staging Osmond toured with, but did NOT like the filmed version. I'll take any live production (even a bad one) before the film. It would have been better had the original plan to film it on stage had panned out. 

BwayLB
#5Joseph at La Mirada in June
Posted: 3/5/23 at 6:45pm

^ Well it does look fun. Plus I’ve never seen an ALW show

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#6Joseph at La Mirada in June
Posted: 3/6/23 at 10:30am

"Joseph" is a really fun show.  Go and see it - you'll be glad you did.  

Updated On: 3/6/23 at 10:30 AM

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#7Joseph at La Mirada in June
Posted: 3/7/23 at 1:51am

It’s an enjoyable show and La Miranda rarely disappoints.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

BwayLB
#8Joseph at La Mirada in June
Posted: 3/7/23 at 8:53am

^ Over the course of almost a year, I’ve seen the Sound of Music, Young Frankenstein and most recently Grease over there. I’ve also seen Billy Elliot in 2015, Dreamgirls in 2016 and Singin in the Rain in 2019. So a total of 6 shows

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#9Joseph at La Mirada in June
Posted: 3/7/23 at 9:45am

Sounds like you'll be adding JOSEPH to your list of shows that you've seen there.  

A lifetime ago was fortunate to have done several musicals at La Mirada.  Very happy to be part of their history.  

BwayLB
#10Joseph at La Mirada in June
Posted: 3/7/23 at 10:10am

^ Ring A Ding Ding! I’m gonna try and get my tickets this week.