pixeltracker

RENT at Papermill - anyone seen it yet?

RENT at Papermill - anyone seen it yet?

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#1RENT at Papermill - anyone seen it yet?
Posted: 6/14/23 at 1:58pm

Just wondering how this production is going. I’m seeing it end of June….

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#2RENT at Papermill - anyone seen it yet?
Posted: 6/14/23 at 2:36pm

I saw the matinee this past Saturday, and am remembering that it is the first week of previews of a brand new production (with a lot of new tech elements) while writing this.

Like I said above, it is not your typical production of Rent, there are nods to the original direction, but it is all very new. The set has a bunch of TVs (blocky ones from the early 90s) all over, as well as walls that can be projected on. This led to some really cool moments, like seeing visions of April during One Song Glory, but also had static a lot of the time, and I'm not sure if that was intentional or not. One area where this didn't work (at least last Saturday) successfully was Will I, the meeting takes place behind the loft set, which means it was about 95% obstructed. At points video (live I think) of the actors in the meeting could be seen on the wall, but it cut in and out repeatedly.

The other major issue was the sound board, levels were all over the place, and microphones were unmuted late CONSTANTLY.

I didn't love all of the director's ideas, but I did appreciate a new take on a show I love. The actors were mostly good to very good. Olivia Lux (Angel) seemed very tired, especially after Today 4 U, but I will attribute that to crazy schedule leading into the first week of previews and hope that they are better as performances continue. Leana Rae Concepcion (Joanne)  was incredible, and this is the second production of Rent I have seen recently where I rave about the Benny (Jordan Barrow in this case). Maybe I have just gotten to appreciate Benny more as I have gotten older.

The second act is far stronger than the first, my wife still cried during the I Will Cover You reprise, and at the end.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#3RENT at Papermill - anyone seen it yet?
Posted: 6/14/23 at 4:56pm

I think it was smart to make changes for a new production, otherwise it's the same thing again and again, I haven't seen this version though.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#4RENT at Papermill - anyone seen it yet?
Posted: 6/14/23 at 5:29pm

I was at the second performance, which had mic problems throughout the show even until the final scene with Mimi in Roger’s arms. There were so many mic miscues - moments where the leads were singing with mics turned off. It was very unfortunate and made for a disappointing night. I did think the actors playing Mark and Joanne were strong.