pixeltracker

Rachel Bloom - Death, Let Me Do My Show - Lucille Lortel 9/6-9/30

Rachel Bloom - Death, Let Me Do My Show - Lucille Lortel 9/6-9/30

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#1Rachel Bloom - Death, Let Me Do My Show - Lucille Lortel 9/6-9/30
Posted: 7/30/23 at 12:49pm

Title change = as it is "Let me do my special" on the current tour. Previews at Lortel starting 9/6 and opening 9/14, ending 9/30

Saw this last night in Boulder - 90ish minutes. Pure Bloom. It's raunchy, tender, personal, hilarious and intimate. Several jokes/call-outs to musical theatre - as you would expect. It's clumsy at points. but an enjoyable and thoughtful evening. All songs appear new. Audience was enthusiastic - maybe a bit overly so before the show and for bows - and I expect audiences may act similarly in NY. I'm avoiding posting spoilers - but don't believe the press releases about the content of the show. One spoiler: 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

She discusses her working relationship/friendship with Adam Schlesinger.

Miss10036 Profile Photo
Miss10036
#2Rachel Bloom - Death, Let Me Do My Show - Lucille Lortel 9/6-9/30
Posted: 1/5/24 at 12:09pm

Bumping because I don't think there's another thread specifically about this show.

I saw this at the Orpheum on Tuesday and thought it was great!  As a fan of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Rachel Bloom's style/sense of humor I was definitely primed to like it, so I'm not susprised that it was up my alley.  It's personal and witty, mostly stand-up with maybe 6 or 7 songs.  Her new songs felt familiar after listening the 100+ songs that were a part of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend in the sense that they felt instantly identifiable as Rachel Bloom songs.  I especially got a kick out of the rainbow bridge and Dear Evan Hansen-inspired numbers.  (The projections, in particular, took me out.)  I don't know whether she has plans to keep tweaking this show, but if she does, I'd want to see the Death parts flow more smoothly with the rest of the show.  I get that they're disruptive by design, but some of these parts felt a tad clunky.

Bloom mentioned during the show and on her Instagram story later Tuesday night that they had plans to record this but had to postpone because members of the creative team and crew got COVID.  I believe she posted that they planned to record it 1/4-1/6, though the story expired.  Hopefully everyone has a speedy recovery and they're able to film soon!

Tking0012
#3Rachel Bloom - Death, Let Me Do My Show - Lucille Lortel 9/6-9/30
Posted: 1/5/24 at 1:14pm

Is this going back to Lucille Lortel in September?

JSquared2
#4Rachel Bloom - Death, Let Me Do My Show - Lucille Lortel 9/6-9/30
Posted: 1/5/24 at 1:39pm

I saw the show last week -- and am a huge fan of Rachel and CRAZY EX GF. Unfortunately I found sitting through this show an act of torture.  It's so "all over the place" and amateur looking, and is in desperate need of better direction.  Hoping that she does more work on it, as there were some really good ideas (that ultimately went nowhere).

Miss10036 Profile Photo
Miss10036
#5Rachel Bloom - Death, Let Me Do My Show
Posted: 1/5/24 at 2:03pm

Tking0012 said: "Is this going back to Lucille Lortel in September?"

No news about that, I just didn't update the title of the thread when I bumped it!  Updating it now so no one gets confused.