Jelly's Last Jam

theatreguy12
#1Jelly's Last Jam
Posted: 8/4/23 at 11:03am

I was going through my Broadway collection of old CDs and put this on for the first time in quite a while. This still has to be one of my most favorite musicals.  Hines, Glover, David, Mathis and Pinkins were just so incredible in this show.  And the music, choreography and staging was just beyond. 

I did a YouTube search and found a really interesting documentary on the show, complete with interviews and insights from George C. Wolfe and the cast.  Really interesting. 

I don't visit the boards here that often but I do seem to remember that another production of this had been mounted somewhere fairly recently and was discussed here some time back.  Was a revival Broadway bound for this show? 

I sure hope this comes back to Broadway at some point.  

And let's have Savion play Jelly Roll Morton!  I just love him, and remember him so well as Young Jelly.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#2Jelly's Last Jam
Posted: 8/4/23 at 11:34am

It is going to be a part of the new season of Encores at New York City Center.

https://www.nycitycenter.org/About/our-programs/encores/

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 8/4/23 at 11:34 AM

theatreguy12
#3Jelly's Last Jam
Posted: 8/4/23 at 11:08pm

Thank you.

I thought I had read about it being performed somewhere in the near future. 

Would still like to see a full-fledged revival.

BoringBoredBoard40
#4Jelly's Last Jam
Posted: 8/5/23 at 12:28am

Pasadena Playhouse is also producing it at the end of their 23-24 season 

LINK

Jumpin_J
#5Jelly's Last Jam
Posted: 8/5/23 at 10:58am

I loved the show. I thought it should've won Best Musical that year over Crazy For You. 

jakethesnake
#6Jelly's Last Jam
Posted: 8/5/23 at 4:11pm

The Long Wharf Theatre did a very short run last year  that Patricia McGregor directed.  Sydney James Harcourt played Jelly. 

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#7Jelly's Last Jam
Posted: 8/5/23 at 6:37pm

jakethesnake said: "The Long Wharf Theatre did a very short run last year that Patricia McGregor directed. Sydney James Harcourt played Jelly."

I think it was only two performances and I think it was more in concert form.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

EvanstonDad
#8Jelly's Last Jam
Posted: 8/8/23 at 10:56am

This conversation peaked my interest so I listened to the cast recording of Jelly's Last Jam. What a terrific score! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I remember vaguely watching the Tonys the year it was nominated, but I was pretty young and for whatever reason just wasn't curious enough to explore it more at the time.

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#9Jelly's Last Jam
Posted: 8/8/23 at 3:37pm

Don[t be shocked if Pasadena's "Jelly's Last Jam" ends up a being re-cast version of the Encores production. They staged a re-cast version of the Encores/Broadway revival of SITPWG which was well received. 

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

Videos