pixeltracker

CANCELED - SUGAR HILL | THE ELLINGTON/STRAYHORN NUTCRACKER

CANCELED - SUGAR HILL | THE ELLINGTON/STRAYHORN NUTCRACKER

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#1CANCELED - SUGAR HILL | THE ELLINGTON/STRAYHORN NUTCRACKER
Posted: 11/7/23 at 2:21pm

https://www.nycitycenter.org/pdps/2023-2024/sugar-hill-the-ellington-strayhorn-nutcracker/

Unfortunately, the producers of SUGAR HILL | THE ELLINGTON/STRAYHORN NUTCRACKER are unable to present their upcoming performances at City Center at this time. All performances of SUGAR HILL from November 17 – 26, 2023 are cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience or disappointment this may cause, and truly appreciate your understanding.

If you have previously purchased tickets, the cost of your ticket(s) will be automatically refunded to the payment method of your original transaction. Please allow a few business days for your refund to process.

Sugar Hill is produced by Hello Entertainment, Dr. Ron Simons, Rob Quadrino, Valencia Yearwood, Willette Klausner, Dr. Yemin (Yuan) McDougal, Nicole Eisenberg, Chinese Performing Arts Production International, Carol Hefren Tillotson, Harris Ferris, Kathleen and Chip Rosenbloom/Mary Cossette, Brass Bull Productions, Billy Strayhorn Songs, Inc., and Schirmer Theatrical. A. Alyce Claerbaut and Robert Thompson serve as executive producers, and Christian McBride, Mickalene Thomas, and B'in Live are associate producers.

For any questions, email Info@nycitycenter.org or call 212.581.1212.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#2CANCELED - SUGAR HILL | THE ELLINGTON/STRAYHORN NUTCRACKER
Posted: 11/8/23 at 11:40am

Damn. I just saw an ad for this, for the first time, yesterday. I hope it’s really a logistics issue and not for a lack of sales. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3CANCELED - SUGAR HILL | THE ELLINGTON/STRAYHORN NUTCRACKER
Posted: 11/8/23 at 11:44am

They previously canceled the first few performance dates, so something must be up, creatively or logistically.

It didn't appear to be selling well at all, whether that's a reason for the cancellation or not. Their money must be close to raised and spent already considering all those co-producers involved.

Hopefully it will play NY at another point considering the talent involved with it.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#4CANCELED - SUGAR HILL | THE ELLINGTON/STRAYHORN NUTCRACKER
Posted: 11/8/23 at 12:31pm

This was in the City Center brochure for 2021-2022 and was cancelled. Then it appeared again this year so I was excited and bought tickets for 11/16, the first preview. Then I received notification that they weren’t ready and cancelled the performance on the 16th. I asked for a refund because my calendar did not allow me to reschedule. Some tool from City Center replied that they’d make this one exception and give me a refund. I was completely disgusted with the attitude from City Center.  I got my refund but I just don’t understand why they tend to err on the nasty side. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5CANCELED - SUGAR HILL | THE ELLINGTON/STRAYHORN NUTCRACKER
Posted: 11/8/23 at 12:51pm

In my experience canceling & moving tickets due to Covid (which is a little different than your situation) ––

the nonprofits will do everything in their power not to refund you because the money is all going into the same pot. Gift card, credit, consider it a donation, etc. When the commercial productions gave automatic refunds (by necessity), some of the nonprofits made buyers bend over backwards to get their money back. The nonprofit box offices have Managing Directors breathing down their necks; for Telecharge/Ticketmaster, the phone reps don't really care because they have no interaction with the producer.

Problems also arose because some of the nonprofits don't keep the money in Escrow until after the curtain goes down, they just spend it as they get it, which led to massive cashflow problems when months of shows were canceled due to Covid.

It all contributes to the "Nonprofit Industrial Complex" (and we have to remember that nonprofit is just a tax status).

Being that this NUTCRACKER is a commercial production and NYCC is just the venue, that's all just kind of eye-rolly. Glad they're doing auto-refunds for this cancelation, which should be the industry standard.

Updated On: 11/8/23 at 12:51 PM

JSquared2
#6CANCELED - SUGAR HILL | THE ELLINGTON/STRAYHORN NUTCRACKER
Posted: 11/8/23 at 12:53pm

Melissa25 said: "This was in the City Center brochure for 2021-2022 and was cancelled. Then it appeared again this year so I was excited and bought tickets for 11/16, the first preview. Then I received notification that they weren’t ready and cancelled the performance on the 16th. I asked for a refund because my calendar did not allow me to reschedule. Some tool from City Center replied that they’d make this one exception and give me a refund. I was completely disgusted with the attitude from City Center. I got my refund but I just don’t understand why they tend to err on the nasty side."

So you say "Some tool from City Center replied that they’d make this one exception and give me a refund. "

And THEY are the nasty ones??

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#7CANCELED - SUGAR HILL | THE ELLINGTON/STRAYHORN NUTCRACKER
Posted: 11/8/23 at 1:32pm

If I remember correctly, this one had international touring plans in the works. Surprised we haven't gotten a press release. I only knew because my friend is a dancer and lost her job before the holidays (with most Nutcrackers across the US already cast...) Hence why I posted here.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#8CANCELED - SUGAR HILL | THE ELLINGTON/STRAYHORN NUTCRACKER
Posted: 11/13/23 at 3:58pm

One of the producers just posted a rehearsal video... is this still happening? Just maybe not at NYCC?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9CANCELED - SUGAR HILL | THE ELLINGTON/STRAYHORN NUTCRACKER
Posted: 11/13/23 at 6:39pm

Voter said: "One of the producers just posted a rehearsal video... is this still happening? Just maybe not at NYCC?"

Interesting -- looks like the Chicago engagement is still happening in December:

https://mytickets.auditoriumtheatre.org/4355?queueittoken=e_tnewsafetynet~q_8c42c7fe-47bd-4621-b665-7e90564fbb14~ts_1699918915~ce_true~rt_safetynet~h_8a26eb1f930e9bd7db977db60cf1e882b2bc72a2064c85e5bf2037422a8a273c

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#10CANCELED - SUGAR HILL | THE ELLINGTON/STRAYHORN NUTCRACKER
Posted: 11/13/23 at 9:48pm

City Center should give Master Voices a permanent home. The mission statements and their educational outreach are similar. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#11CANCELED - SUGAR HILL | THE ELLINGTON/STRAYHORN NUTCRACKER
Posted: 11/13/23 at 10:08pm

UWS10023 said: "City Center should give Master Voices a permanent home. The mission statements and their educational outreach are similar."

I am sure NYCC would gladly sign a multi-year rental agreement with MasterVoices for X number of weeks per year if MV came to them with a good proposal. But it doesn't seem that MV (with an operating budget of just $1.9 mil) would be in the position to do that without scaling up fundraising strategy first.

Updated On: 11/13/23 at 10:08 PM