pixeltracker

RIP to the wonderful Sheila Smith (Mame, Company, Follies, Sugar)

RIP to the wonderful Sheila Smith (Mame, Company, Follies, Sugar)

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1RIP to the wonderful Sheila Smith (Mame, Company, Follies, Sugar)
Posted: 12/2/23 at 10:29pm

Seeing reports on social media from her agent and others close to her that Sheila Smith has passed away at age 90.

Sheila Smith's Broadway credits included Hot Spot with Judy Holliday, Mame (as both Mame and Vera), Company (standby Joanne), Follies (Meredith, and standby for Phyllis/Carlotta/Solange), Sugar (original Sweet Sue), 42nd Street (as both Dorothy Brock and Maggie Jones), The Five O'Clock Girl, and Hal Prince's revival of Show Boat; tours of La Cage, Equus, Sound of Music, and the title role in Mame; countless regional productions; and the starring role in the original Australian production of Fade Out/Fade In. She won a 1967 Theatre World Award for MAME (and I would love to know more about the circumstances surrounding that unique win).

I always have special admiration for people who stand by for multiple principal roles –– especially when covering the likes of Angela Lansbury, Bea Arthur, Elaine Stritch, Alexis Smith and Yvonne De Carlo.

Here's audio of her I'M STILL HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWZa-CjZxRU

Updated On: 12/2/23 at 10:29 PM

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#2RIP to the wonderful Sheila Smith (Mame, Company, Follies, Sugar)
Posted: 12/3/23 at 6:56am

I am genuinely sorry to hear this. I first became aware of her when PBS aired Taking My Turn in 1984 and later saw her in Harold Prince's 1994 Show Boat at the Gershwin. She was obviously a very dedicated performer. May she rest in peace.

Dom P
#3RIP to the wonderful Sheila Smith (Mame, Company, Follies, Sugar)
Posted: 12/3/23 at 9:59am

RIP Dear Lady. I remember seeing her as Sweet Sue in "Sugar".  Also sad to learn of the passing last week of Frances Sternhagen,the original Ethel Thayer in "On Golden Pond".

Jarethan
#4RIP to the wonderful Sheila Smith (Mame, Company, Follies, Sugar)
Posted: 12/3/23 at 2:38pm

She was fairly recently profiled in the NYT.  The very interesting story was about her friendship with a young woman who moved into the apartment next to hers and how they became close friends.  In the interview, she talked about lots of things, one being her relationship with Frank Sinatra.  I can remember pictures of her in the papers during the run of Mame...I am guessing that she may have taken over when AL was on vacation.  Fun read.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5RIP to the wonderful Sheila Smith (Mame, Company, Follies, Sugar)
Posted: 12/3/23 at 2:46pm

Jarethan, that was actually Sheila Sullivan (of Play It Again Sam and Golden Boy, and onetime wife of Robert Culp). But an interesting read nevertheless!

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/12/nyregion/nyc-eviction-tina-dupuy-sheila-sullivan.html

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#6RIP to the wonderful Sheila Smith (Mame, Company, Follies, Sugar)
Posted: 12/4/23 at 4:00pm

Playbill obituary link.

Ermengarde, thank you for making me aware of this sad passing.

I hope I posted the link correctly.

Sheila Smith

Jarethan
#7RIP to the wonderful Sheila Smith (Mame, Company, Follies, Sugar)
Posted: 12/4/23 at 9:57pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Jarethan, that was actually Sheila Sullivan (of Play It Again Sam and Golden Boy, and onetime wife of Robert Culp). But an interesting read nevertheless!

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/12/nyregion/nyc-eviction-tina-dupuy-sheila-sullivan.html
"

Thanks...it was Sheila Sullivan I was thinking of.

Videos