pixeltracker

John Lithgow to play Roald Dahl in London

John Lithgow to play Roald Dahl in London

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#1John Lithgow to play Roald Dahl in London
Posted: 3/4/24 at 7:46am

John Lithgow will star as Roald Dahl in a play about the writer's antisemitism.

Giant, written by Mark Rosenblatr and directed by Nicholas Hytner, is set in 1983, shortly before the publication of Dahl’s novel The Witches, as he comes under fire for his antisemitic views expressed in the media. In an interview with the New Statesman that year, Dahl said: “There is a trait in the Jewish character that does provoke animosity … Even a stinker like Hitler didn’t just pick on them for no reason.” 

Sep. 20 - Nov. 16

lilpunkin
#2John Lithgow to play Roald Dahl in London
Posted: 3/4/24 at 8:17am

Sounds interesting, and I love John Lithgow a lot, but I wish it wasn’t at the Court. The theatre with the worst reputation and history for antisemitism doing a play about a known antisemite could go badly wrong.

On the other hand, they have just had a change in leadership and while a lot of things about the current scandal are worrying, everyone I know says David is one of the genuine good guys. I hope that is the case and that the Court can start afresh.

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#3John Lithgow to play Roald Dahl in London
Posted: 3/4/24 at 8:43am

lilpunkin said: "Sounds interesting, and I love John Lithgow a lot, but I wish it wasn’t at the Court. The theatre with the worst reputation and history for antisemitism doing a play about a known antisemite could go badly wrong.

On the other hand, they have just had a change in leadership and while a lot of things about the current scandal are worrying, everyone I know says David is one of the genuine good guys. I hope that is the case and that the Court can start afresh.
"

That is exactly why the Royal Court is doing it. More “Theater of Reparations”.

lilpunkin
#4John Lithgow to play Roald Dahl in London
Posted: 3/4/24 at 8:56am

sinister teashop said: "lilpunkin said: "Sounds interesting, and I love John Lithgow a lot, but I wish it wasn’t at the Court. The theatre with the worst reputation and history for antisemitism doing a play about a known antisemite could go badly wrong.

"

"

Hmm, is that based on anything, or just an assumption?

I’m a Royal Court playwright and one of the artists invited to the Court during the antisemitism scandal, and two of my close friends are the playwrights who got caught up in the current (not related to racism) scandal. Admittedly I don’t know David well but until last November and the eruption of the current issue I was quite closely involved in all of this, and while I’m sure David is very aware of the tarnished legacy he’s inheriting, I’m not sure programming a play about an antisemite is “theatre of reparations”, especially when there’s an ongoing issue with lack of accountability and transparency.

sinister teashop
#5John Lithgow to play Roald Dahl in London
Posted: 3/4/24 at 8:58am

lilpunkin said: "sinister teashop said: "lilpunkin said: "Sounds interesting, and I love John Lithgow a lot, but I wish it wasn’t at the Court. The theatre with the worst reputation and history for antisemitism doing a play about a known antisemite could go badly wrong.

"

"

I’m a Royal Court playwright and one of the artists invited to the Court during the antisemitism scandal, and two of my close friends are the playwrights who got caught up in the current (not related to racism) scandal. Admittedly I don’t know David well but until last November and the eruption of the current issue I was quite closely involved in all of this, and while I’m sure David is very aware of the tarnished legacy he’s inheriting, I’m not sure programming a play about an antisemite is “theatre of reparations”, especially when there’s an ongoing issue with lack of accountability and transparency.
"

Owen22
#6John Lithgow to play Roald Dahl in London
Posted: 3/4/24 at 8:59am

Well, I don't know anything about the scandal, but besides their Caryl Churchill plays (and Ferryman), most everything I've seen at the Royal Court over the last ten years have been really bad.  But I trust John Lithgow so I've purchased.  And yes, I also trusted Kristen Scott Thomas on Lyonesse...

sinister teashop
#7John Lithgow to play Roald Dahl in London
Posted: 3/4/24 at 9:12am

lilpunkin said: "sinister teashop said: "lilpunkin said: "Sounds interesting, and I love John Lithgow a lot, but I wish it wasn’t at the Court. The theatre with the worst reputation and history for antisemitism doing a play about a known antisemite could go badly wrong.

"

"

"

I’m not a Royal Court playwright and don’t know David.

I suppose the reparations are for the recent scandal but also for the Royal Court’s long history of disputes over anti-Semitism. 

The problem is that the left tradition of the house is a tough knot to unravel dating back to the Balfour decision. It’s the same knot that destroyed the Corbyn Labour Party. The problem is a lot of anti-Semitic tropes are bound together with genuine opposition to zionism. I am not sure if a play about Roald Dahl’s antisemitism will do anything to unravel that problematic knot… which needs attention now more than ever.

Updated On: 3/4/24 at 09:12 AM

lilpunkin
#8John Lithgow to play Roald Dahl in London
Posted: 3/4/24 at 10:12am

I guess my question is whether this is reparations or not. It could be a total coincidence and not intended to be a response or a way of making reparations.

My sense is the Court feels that “Jews in their own words” was all the reparations they needed and they consider the matter long closed. I’m sure awareness of the Court’s history is playing a part, but I’m not sure they made a conscious decision to programme this play as an active part of restorative theatre. The current scandal has perhaps overtaken concerns over the prior AD’s run (my speculation only).

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#9John Lithgow to play Roald Dahl in London
Posted: 3/4/24 at 10:23am

The play was originally conceived for the Bridge