News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for sinister teashop

sinister teashop Profile Photo
Member Name: sinister teashop
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Jeremy O. Harris will lead Williamstown Theatre Festival [Broadway Journal]  May 11 2024, 09:49:57 AM

The “overlapping” managing directors have their work cut out for them. Harris’ appointment, like Gersten’s before, does not feel like a serious long term solution to an ailing festival with an aging audience which needs a fully focused year round artistic and managerial commitment at very little pay. There are probably plenty of great candidates out there but they’re not Jenny Gersten or Jeremy O. Harris.

What’s Next for the Palace Theatre?  May 9 2024, 12:14:23 PM

The interior of the auditorium looks fine but, at least from the images of the tiny common spaces they've released so far, it doesn't look like the renovation will make any kind of gala events possible. Forget about the Tonys ever being hosted at the new Palace. It was never a really good candidate for special events before its renovation but these images make it feel vault-like. The original foyer, as I remember it, was quite open to the auditorium and let in some natural light.

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 27 2024, 10:39:18 AM

And yes it does matter what Green likes since he's the only critic with some actual sense in his brain. His enjoyment of Strong and Chastain, especially over Comer is sadly a unique opinion when it shows how little people know about good acting. "Most acting", aka, hammy acting w/ yelling/crying, has garnered undue lovewhile subtler performances tend to get forgotten by the general public and dismissed as "bland".

There can be excellent &q

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 26 2024, 09:44:03 AM

It might have been from where I was sitting or that I saw it early in the run but I was not impressed with Jeremy Strong’s performance. I did not see a convincing through line in it to dramatize why he was doing what he was doing. Aside from stripping to his waist near the end (which was quite nice) I also did not feel he had a compelling stage presence. He was fine in my opinion but nothing beyond that. I did see Strong in "New Jerusalem"  where I thought he wa

Feel stressed when arriving to the theatre?  Apr 24 2024, 10:52:16 PM

jv92 said: "…wait till the last five or ten minutes before curtain to try to avoid the nonsense mentioned here.”

Maybe don’t do that if your seat is in the middle of a row?

UNCLE VANYA 2024 Broadway Reviews  Apr 24 2024, 09:58:01 PM

I’d say Green’s review had a lot of positive things to say about the production including that it’s an enjoyable evening in the theater. The reviews are all over the place in my opinion.

Feel stressed when arriving to the theatre?  Apr 24 2024, 12:37:36 PM

BdwayLife said: "First, we are lined up. At the 30 minute mark, we are yelled at from a megaphone at a foot distance from our ears,as the staff member walks by, telling us to proceed. Another staff member shouts to open your bags while they inspect them, and then you pass through a metal detector—in some cases, they have to pass a hand held detector up your legs, torso, and across your arms. You are then shouted at,to show your tickets, soon followed by someone demanding to see

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 22 2024, 09:16:35 AM

Owen22 said: "A London theatre website tries to make sense of it all:

https://www.whatsonstage.com/news/what-is-going-on-with-the-cabaret-reviews_1594068/
"

I think the article is right about one point that here in the US fascism is currently less "fascinating" because it's so close to home. 

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews  Apr 14 2024, 11:36:32 AM

Ensemble1696584123 said: "Someday I'll dig up that wonderfully researched paper that had made the point that the kind of depictions that Fosse's film and Mendes leaned into for the club, emphasising degradation, completely lacking in vigor and vitality, were actually barely above the Nazi propaganda about them. Though Fosse's film at least framed the customers of the establishment being fairly well-to-do."

I agree, the reason Isherwood and his fictional c

Rialto Chatter: Will OH, MARY! and JOB Transfer to Broadway?  Apr 11 2024, 07:04:33 PM

berniesb!tch said: "Based off what I have heard Oh Mary is transferring beginning Pride Weekend"

That would be a great kickoff date but it’s more of a Bottom-Pride and a Top-Shaming show.

UNCLE VANYA Previews  Apr 7 2024, 12:05:17 PM

Add me to the list of fans of the Conor McPherson "Vanya"... maybe not my favorite of the many versions I've seen but I liked it quite a bit. As for the British making class an issue in Chekhov, they don't have to look that hard to find it. Chekhov saw it and wrote about it in his plays but they are about many other things as well... so was Ian Rickson's excellent production of the McPherson adaptation. 

Funniest/Funnest Broadway (or Off) Musical Right Now?  Mar 27 2024, 11:13:00 AM

The Notebook.

Have you ever seen a musical on Broadway that didn't get a standing ovation?  Mar 24 2024, 02:00:40 PM

Yes, most of them before 2002. I remember noticing that the standing ovation started to get built into the curtain call post 2002 with lighting shifts, orchestrations, etc. I agree that it was influenced by American Idol, etc. But it was also part of the destination tourism shift of the newly renovated Times Square district and its attendant "luxury event" ticket pricing. It spilled into everything including concerts, dance, etc. The absence of a standing ovation now signals ei

AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Broadway Reviews  Mar 18 2024, 10:46:50 PM

Ibsen is big box office on Broadway. 

A great present to the playwright on his 196 birthday (March 20th).

CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments  Mar 17 2024, 06:17:05 PM

This musical sounds like my idea of hell but someone else's idea of profits. Is it too late to invest in this shameless steaming pile of crypto-Christian schmaltz? I want that money!

AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews  Mar 16 2024, 02:53:52 PM

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Something about this doesn't pass the smell test

this just happened to be during a press preview, this just happened during the town hall moment with all the lights on, nobody broke character...
"

I sympathize with the actors being put in that position but of course they broke character. 

Mayor Stockman would not have yelled "Go back to drama school" and Morten Kiil wouldn't have yelled "Y

AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews  Mar 15 2024, 11:07:32 AM

MemorableUserName said: "Video: https://twitter.com/hosseinisgeckos/status/1768475100767006929

Evidently it was climate protestors.

https://twitter.com/McHenryJD/status/1768460374087537027

Naturally the protestors were filming themselves and posted their own video:

https://twitter.com/hosseinisgeckos/status/1768477758491861069

"

Too immersive?

Steppenwolf announces 2024-2025 Season  Mar 14 2024, 09:48:00 AM

KJisgroovy said: "From 8 productions to 5. Noises Off?! I understand times are tough but... yeesh."

Agreed, and a revival of "Fool for Love" is a pretty safe bet as well. 

Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway  Mar 12 2024, 04:20:50 PM

inception said: "theblackumbrella said: "Is there merch?"

You can easily make your own Cole Escola Mary doll using this Helen Keller Barbie.

I don't get anything from this link.

https://www.amazon.com/Barbie-Inspiring-Women-Helen-Keller/dp/B08J4HYSRQ

"

Cole Escola as Helen in “Miracle Worker”?

Playwright on HIV Med Strike / NYTW Responds  Mar 7 2024, 09:16:49 PM

PipingHotPiccolo said: "sinister teashop said: "Good for this playwright and others who are raising their voices about the humanitarian disaster in Gaza. President Biden, it seems, is not only finally listening but taking action to lessen it."

Yes, after months of negotiations, desperate attempts for signs of life from the hostages, aid efforts with sixteen different governments about provision of food/water via a border hermetically sealed by the Israel

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You