News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for sinister teashop

sinister teashop Profile Photo
Member Name: sinister teashop
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews  Apr 14 2024, 11:36:32 AM

Ensemble1696584123 said: "Someday I'll dig up that wonderfully researched paper that had made the point that the kind of depictions that Fosse's film and Mendes leaned into for the club, emphasising degradation, completely lacking in vigor and vitality, were actually barely above the Nazi propaganda about them. Though Fosse's film at least framed the customers of the establishment being fairly well-to-do."

I agree, the reason Isherwood and his fictional c

Rialto Chatter: Will OH, MARY! and JOB Transfer to Broadway?  Apr 11 2024, 07:04:33 PM

berniesb!tch said: "Based off what I have heard Oh Mary is transferring beginning Pride Weekend"

That would be a great kickoff date but it’s more of a Bottom-Pride and a Top-Shaming show.

UNCLE VANYA Previews  Apr 7 2024, 12:05:17 PM

Add me to the list of fans of the Conor McPherson "Vanya"... maybe not my favorite of the many versions I've seen but I liked it quite a bit. As for the British making class an issue in Chekhov, they don't have to look that hard to find it. Chekhov saw it and wrote about it in his plays but they are about many other things as well... so was Ian Rickson's excellent production of the McPherson adaptation. 

Funniest/Funnest Broadway (or Off) Musical Right Now?  Mar 27 2024, 11:13:00 AM

The Notebook.

Have you ever seen a musical on Broadway that didn't get a standing ovation?  Mar 24 2024, 02:00:40 PM

Yes, most of them before 2002. I remember noticing that the standing ovation started to get built into the curtain call post 2002 with lighting shifts, orchestrations, etc. I agree that it was influenced by American Idol, etc. But it was also part of the destination tourism shift of the newly renovated Times Square district and its attendant "luxury event" ticket pricing. It spilled into everything including concerts, dance, etc. The absence of a standing ovation now signals ei

AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Broadway Reviews  Mar 18 2024, 10:46:50 PM

Ibsen is big box office on Broadway. 

A great present to the playwright on his 196 birthday (March 20th).

CBS Sunday Morning Did Not Ask Nicholas Sparks About Racist/Homophobic Comments  Mar 17 2024, 06:17:05 PM

This musical sounds like my idea of hell but someone else's idea of profits. Is it too late to invest in this shameless steaming pile of crypto-Christian schmaltz? I want that money!

AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews  Mar 16 2024, 02:53:52 PM

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Something about this doesn't pass the smell test

this just happened to be during a press preview, this just happened during the town hall moment with all the lights on, nobody broke character...
"

I sympathize with the actors being put in that position but of course they broke character. 

Mayor Stockman would not have yelled "Go back to drama school" and Morten Kiil wouldn't have yelled "Y

AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews  Mar 15 2024, 11:07:32 AM

MemorableUserName said: "Video: https://twitter.com/hosseinisgeckos/status/1768475100767006929

Evidently it was climate protestors.

https://twitter.com/McHenryJD/status/1768460374087537027

Naturally the protestors were filming themselves and posted their own video:

https://twitter.com/hosseinisgeckos/status/1768477758491861069

"

Too immersive?

Steppenwolf announces 2024-2025 Season  Mar 14 2024, 09:48:00 AM

KJisgroovy said: "From 8 productions to 5. Noises Off?! I understand times are tough but... yeesh."

Agreed, and a revival of "Fool for Love" is a pretty safe bet as well. 

Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway  Mar 12 2024, 04:20:50 PM

inception said: "theblackumbrella said: "Is there merch?"

You can easily make your own Cole Escola Mary doll using this Helen Keller Barbie.

I don't get anything from this link.

https://www.amazon.com/Barbie-Inspiring-Women-Helen-Keller/dp/B08J4HYSRQ

"

Cole Escola as Helen in “Miracle Worker”?

Playwright on HIV Med Strike / NYTW Responds  Mar 7 2024, 09:16:49 PM

PipingHotPiccolo said: "sinister teashop said: "Good for this playwright and others who are raising their voices about the humanitarian disaster in Gaza. President Biden, it seems, is not only finally listening but taking action to lessen it."

Yes, after months of negotiations, desperate attempts for signs of life from the hostages, aid efforts with sixteen different governments about provision of food/water via a border hermetically sealed by the Israel

Playwright on HIV Med Strike / NYTW Responds  Mar 7 2024, 07:26:30 PM

jv92 said: "Ke3 said: "jv92 said: "But without Kramer and ACT UP, this fellow would not be in the fortuitous circumstance he’s in, that too, too many were not— and never could be.

Kramer was the public face of ACT UP and certainly important to its founding and growth but ACT UP was a collective enterprise and a child of left culture. The same culture that today is advocating for the same demands that Victor I. Cazares is advocating for.

Don't take my word for it, read any history of ACT UP including Sarah Schulman's comprehensive Let the Record Show.

Playwright on HIV Med Strike / NYTW Responds  Mar 7 2024, 02:17:51 PM

Good for this playwright and others who are raising their voices about the humanitarian disaster in Gaza. President Biden, it seems, is not only finally listening but taking action to lessen it.

Playwright on HIV Med Strike / NYTW Responds  Mar 6 2024, 03:35:52 PM

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "And I hate to break it to you, but in the grand scheme of things, a statement from some off-broadway theater company means NOTHING in terms of shifting actual events in this war, or public sentiment around it. "

Oh, I can assure that if it meant "NOTHING" as in the ubiquitous Land Acknowledgements, NYTW would do it in an instant.

Playwright on HIV Med Strike / NYTW Responds  Mar 6 2024, 02:29:32 PM

I don't know the playwright but I do think their request/demand seems reasonable enough when theaters are trampling all over each other to win the reparations olympics when it comes to Land Acknowledgements, correct pronoun use and DEI. But no love for Gaza and the nearly 30,000 civilians who have been massacred with US weapons? I'm not talking about Hamas leadership who are scum but the millions of civilians who are currently starving to death. 

LCT's UNCLE VANYA will star Steve Carell, Alison Pill, William Jackson Harper, Alfred Molina and Anika Noni Rose  Mar 6 2024, 02:20:07 PM

I like the designs. I like the use of the whole stage as a playing space with the back used as a place setting projection. Simple, functional and rather self-effacing. The focus, for better or for worse, will be on the performances. 

John Lithgow to play Roald Dahl in London  Mar 4 2024, 09:12:37 AM

lilpunkin said: "sinister teashop said: "lilpunkin said: "Sounds interesting, and I love John Lithgow a lot, but I wish it wasn’t at the Court. The theatre with the worst reputation and history for antisemitism doing a play about a known antisemite could go badly wrong.

On the other hand, they have just had a change in leadership and while a lot of things about the current scandal are worrying, everyone I know says David is one of the genuine good g

John Lithgow to play Roald Dahl in London  Mar 4 2024, 08:58:31 AM

lilpunkin said: "sinister teashop said: "lilpunkin said: "Sounds interesting, and I love John Lithgow a lot, but I wish it wasn’t at the Court. The theatre with the worst reputation and history for antisemitism doing a play about a known antisemite could go badly wrong.

On the other hand, they have just had a change in leadership and while a lot of things about the current scandal are worrying, everyone I know says David is one of the genuine good g

John Lithgow to play Roald Dahl in London  Mar 4 2024, 08:43:50 AM

lilpunkin said: "Sounds interesting, and I love John Lithgow a lot, but I wish it wasn’t at the Court. The theatre with the worst reputation and history for antisemitism doing a play about a known antisemite could go badly wrong.

On the other hand, they have just had a change in leadership and while a lot of things about the current scandal are worrying, everyone I know says David is one of the genuine good guys. I hope that is the case and that the Court can start a

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You