pixeltracker

West Side Story World Tour and other international tours

West Side Story World Tour and other international tours

Leisie93
#1West Side Story World Tour and other international tours
Posted: 3/12/24 at 1:52pm

How does the West Side Story world tour do the show in multiple countries where they speak languages other than English? Do they sing the show in English and display German supertitles and then use French supertitles when they move the tour to France? Do they focus on countries with a lot of English-speakers? I know that they'll often translate lyrics and sing them in the language of a country if they're doing, say, Hamilton specifically in Germany. But I would imagine that an international tour would be different.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#2West Side Story World Tour and other international tours
Posted: 3/12/24 at 2:25pm

Leisie93 said: "How does the West Side Story world tour do the show in multiple countries where they speak languages other than English? Do they sing the show in English and display German supertitles and then use French supertitles when they move the tour to France? Do they focus on countries with a lot of English-speakers? I know that they'll often translate lyrics and sing them in the language of a country if they're doing, say, Hamilton specifically in Germany. But I would imagine that an international tour would be different."

Supertitles, like opera.

Ensemble1709276860
#3West Side Story World Tour and other international tours
Posted: 3/13/24 at 9:16am

I watched West Side Story in Japan a few years back. It was performed in English and the surtitles were actually on the sides, as Japanese is commonly written vertically. I wouldn't expect many people to rock up without some sort of translation; even though the majority of Japanese people learn basic English at school, it's a totally different challenge when it's a musical!

gordi_92
#4West Side Story World Tour and other international tours
Posted: 3/13/24 at 10:32am

English is a universal language. They teach it in schools. If there is an Ensuite Sit down Production it will get Translated into german f.e. Lion King, Phantom, Hamilton, Mamma mia and so on. But we've also had multiple International english language Productions/Tours visiting germany. WSS already a few times, same with Rocky Horror Show. We had the Book of Mormon Tour here as well as the UK Bat out of Hell Tour. The Six UK Tour opened last night in Berlin and will play in Munich as well. The International Tour of Mamma mia is coming as well later this year. Sometimes they have the german subtitles on a Screen next to the stage. Sometimes not.