News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Reefer Madness Hollywood

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#1Reefer Madness Hollywood
Posted: 5/31/24 at 5:32pm

Did anyone make it to opening night of the revised Reefer Madness in Hollywood? I'm really curious to hear about it since that show was one of my first proper fandoms.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#2Reefer Madness Hollywood
Posted: 6/2/24 at 9:42am

Also curious! Love the movie musical but never see the stage show produced… curious how this is!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3Reefer Madness Hollywood
Posted: 6/2/24 at 10:27am

They certainly had some big names at the opening, including Angelina Jolie.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#4Reefer Madness Hollywood
Posted: 6/7/24 at 10:53pm

Did anyone see this one yet? I’m really curious about the song list, because it’s fluctuated so much over the last three decades. Plus I think there are new songs in this version, but it’s cut to a ninety-minute one act apparently?

Owen22
#5Reefer Madness Hollywood
Posted: 6/8/24 at 4:19pm

Hopefully they interpolated "Mary Jane" from the TV movie, which instantly became the best song in the score.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#6Reefer Madness Hollywood
Posted: 6/8/24 at 5:13pm

I believe that was part of the revised version they workshopped in 2019. 
Considering the celebrities attached as producers, I’m surprised this production has had almost nothing in the way of press or reviews. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#7Reefer Madness Hollywood
Posted: 6/8/24 at 8:50pm

As soon as the movie was released, they created a new licensing version incorporating the best of LA, NY and the movie. I was in the show in 2008 at a community theatre and they had added in Mary Jane/Mary Lane by then, as well as the salsa dance in “Five and Dime.”

Dusoleilcanwhistle Profile Photo
Dusoleilcanwhistle
#8Reefer Madness Hollywood
Posted: 7/1/24 at 5:00pm

Caught this phenomenal production over the weekend and can't sing its praises enough! If you're in LA, do whatever you need to and find a way to see this!

The level of ambition here was nearly a 10 - they re-conceived the entire space in a brilliant way to make the show feel nearly immersive and the performers themselves were unanimously fantastic. Truly everyone was excellent, but special mention to Thomas Dekker who played every color of the rainbow over the course of the evening in the best way possible. Spencer Liff did an incredible job with the direction and choreography (some terrific dancers in the show) and clearly worked with the writers to pare the show down so it worked so well as a 90-minute one-act piece. Also, as a result of everything going on in the country right now, the show feels more timely than ever.

Christian Campbell spoke after the show about how this was a true LA production with LA-based actors, creatives, musicians, and crew and if this is any indication, we're going to have quite a renaissance of theater out here in LA.

Videos