pixeltracker

TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof

TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof

broadway1564
#0TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof
Posted: 3/20/04 at 1:02am

So I heard they just completed auditions for this in NY. Did anyone audition? I heard it was an open audition format. I am pretty sure it is being directed by Sammy Dallas Bayes who recreated all the choreography for the revival of FIDDLER in '90 and was a part of the original company.

I also see from the TROIKA web site that they are soon to release a THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE non-equity tour. That should be cool.

Thoughts ...

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#1re: TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof
Posted: 3/20/04 at 5:25am

My guess is that the TMM will be released sooner than later, being the current Equity tour still has a lot of life in it and plenty of booked theatres.

I'd say the re-produced tours of CHICAGO and JCS have a better chance of starting up sooner. I'm interested for CFY. And I'm sure the FIDDLER tour will be fine as Sammy Dallas Bayes always does dependable work with those revivals.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#2re: re: TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof
Posted: 3/20/04 at 8:26am

Sammy (Dallas) Bayes was an original cast member of the original production, as the Fiddler. He directed a production a few years ago here in Melbourne with Topol starring. Let's hope they aren't doing it with him. He comes with his own scenery, and you have to use it if you want him, whether it fits the theatre or not (it didn't, too small for the stage).

Do Troika cut corners?

mother cabrini Profile Photo
mother cabrini
#3re: re: re: TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof
Posted: 3/20/04 at 8:37am

isnt troika a russian airline?!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#4re: re: re: re: TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof
Posted: 3/20/04 at 8:43am

They rehearse in a hanger near St Petersburg.

broadway1564
#5re: re: re: re: re: TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof
Posted: 3/20/04 at 12:56pm

I am pretty sure it is SAMMY BAYES ... I MAY be totally wrong, but that was the impression I was under.

FIDDLER is an amazing show ... so I'm sure it will have an excellent life on the road. I'm glad this new non-equity tour is going out with THIS show. I'm sure Sammy won't reinvision the entire production, by any mean, like Mr. Leveaux (who's work is incredible --- I very much admire his craft).

re: re: re: re: re: TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof

BwayTheatre11
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof
Posted: 3/20/04 at 1:24pm

I am starting to HATE non-Equity tours...you guys dragged me in. It is TOO SOON for TMM to become non-Equity!

CCM '10!

broadway1564
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof
Posted: 3/21/04 at 1:53am

What is the deal with him using his own sets? That's kind of strange. I guess it would save a lot of money, but who knows. Troika is a high-quality, low-priced company. They are oriented in traveling ANYTHING that is fairly affordable and rake in the money.

I have seen good Non-Equity tours. I saw the RENT tour and thought it was incredible. They cast was fab. I think it depends on the company and the casting. We'll see...

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof
Posted: 3/21/04 at 7:03am

Yes, the producers who did the show in Melbourne in order to have him (Topol) in it had to use sets and some costumes from the Israeli production he owned. Which he collected a hire fee for. The sets were approximations of the originals but built for a much smaller stage with a lower proscenium arch, so they had to tack on fabric on to the drops. Not good! They had some costumes which arrived complete with fleas, which then had to be decontaminated.

About a year or so ago Sammy Dallas Bayes was announced as producer for a tour (in the US) of Zorba which was going to star Topol. I guess this isn't going to happen now.

broadway1564
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof
Posted: 3/21/04 at 12:23pm

Oh, I thought you guys meant that Sammy was the one who insisted that they use his sets and costumes ... Oh well, that is pretty gross about TOPOL. I loved him in the movie. He was a genuine Tevye. I wonder what he was like in person, live on stage, performing that role.

Isn't TROIKA the company that had the big thing going on with THE SOUND OF MUSIC and Barry Williams. I don't know why they would cast Greg Brady in anything, really ... but, I thought that stuff was crazy on the part of Barry. I think he was trying to push equity, hadn't gotten any work and finally had a show and didn't care about equity ... he probably just needed the money.

Does anyone know what the living conditions for the actors are like on these tours? I'm sure Troika will pay for everything, but I've heard different things.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof
Posted: 3/22/04 at 10:28pm

I dont see why Troika would make a non-equity version of TMM so soon. Doesnt seem right to me. If there is a strong TMM equity tour out there, why compete with it? especially if people know it's non-equity.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

broadway1564
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof
Posted: 3/22/04 at 10:49pm

And, logically, with a FIDDLER production playing on Broadway ... why not wait until the new revival tour goes out, if it does.

But I would assume that TROIKA is working separately from the Broadway schedule ...

What is the typically non-equity contract? living conditions? etc.

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: TROIKA Presents ... Fiddler on the Roof
Posted: 3/23/04 at 8:53am

"I dont see why Troika would make a non-equity version of TMM so soon. Doesnt seem right to me. If there is a strong TMM equity tour out there, why compete with it? especially if people know it's non-equity."

I made a typo in what I said above...so in reply, My guess is that the TMM will be released LATER than sooner, being the current Equity tour still has a lot of life in it and plenty of booked theatres. Most likely, I'm sure they will wait until the Equity tour is just about and/or plain finished.

Videos