Casting Calls

MidwestBWayBaby Profile Photo
MidwestBWayBaby
#0Casting Calls
Posted: 4/4/04 at 5:14am

Does anyone know of a way to know about casting calls? I JUST noticed that Avenue Q had one in Feb. in Chicago. Is there a website, newsletter- any way to be abreast of Open Casting Auditions? Please, let me know! Thanks everyone!

Belter
#1re: Casting Calls
Posted: 4/4/04 at 8:07am

Backstage is the newspaper most of us use. You can get it at almost any newsstand in NYC, but also you can find them online at

www.backstage.com (or backstageonline.com, not sure which)

You can join online and check casting notices via the website. They have regional memberships/notices, too, so you could know everything that's going on in Shy-Town, if you want!

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#2re: re: Casting Calls
Posted: 4/4/04 at 1:52pm

I was just wondering, and please anyone feel free to respond, I know there are actors/actresses on this boardwho are at various points in the careers, but what do you guys think about just being cast as film extras (non-paying, that kind of thing). I was helping out a friend by doing some extras casting for a indie film she's working on and I was surprised how many Broadway actors (there were a few, but Eric Gunhus (sp?) is the first one I can think of) have subitted their resumes and such for this type of thing....

Anyone?

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

lensman55 Profile Photo
lensman55
#3re: re: re: Casting Calls
Posted: 4/4/04 at 2:15pm

Does "Show Business" still exist? I remember getting "Show Business" and "Backstage" and going to Nathan's for pizza while I perused the casting calls! (Guess all that dates me!)

I used to like the editorials in Show Business, the editor seemed to be having fights with everybody from taxi drivers to the editors of Backstage (who apparently used to work for him.)

"Now and then life hits you on the back of the head with a sock full of wet porridge. How you handle that is up to you." - Tim Rice

IssaMe
#4re: re: re: re: Casting Calls
Posted: 4/4/04 at 5:37pm

Yes, the late wildman Leo Shull who founded and ran Show Business for years.

It went out of business - and then came back about two or three years ago (I believe still run by Shull relatives).

It is much, much smaller than Backstage - but it comes out earlier - Tuesday as opposed to Thursday - so it has many of the same casting notices, but two days earlier (not that it matters that much since most of them are posted somewhat in advance).

It also may have some casting notices for small non-paying theater groups that can't afford to place notices in Backstage. It can be found at various NY newsstands.

Videos