The Boy From Oz - after Hugh

jo
#0The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 8:31pm

In an interview with Australian media, Hugh has indicated that he will be returning to Australia in September. This supports the speculation that his last performance will most likely be September 12.

What are the chances of the show continuing after Hugh leaves the show? Here's another interesting interview, also from an Australian source --

https://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/27/1082831564257.html

*It seems John Travolta had actually considered the role, but decided to pass.

*They may continue the show, if they can find someone suitable.

*Hugh ? Back to the movies ( Aronofsky's THE FOUNTAIN, not James Bond The Boy From Oz -  after Hugh)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 8:42pm

After Hugh leaves regretably R.I.P. for the show

My wife & I intend to see Van Helsing when it opens. I would love for a flock of vampires to swoop in on him & he opens his black coat & instead of a cross he has a Peter Allen Hawaiian Shirt & the vampires die a horrible death . Another scenario is when he meets up with Frankenstein, he shakes his marimbas at him

Poster Emeritus

DofB5
#2re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 8:46pm

Well, Jo at least I'll be able to say I saw the show.

It has one strike against it because the star isn't named 'Michael' but I'm open minded and will make allowances since my friends seem to like that Hugh what's-his-name fellow. I promise to give him err the show a fair shake.
re: re: The Boy From Oz -  after Hugh
D

jo
#3re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 8:47pm

And he challenges Dracula to a booty dance re: re: re: The Boy From Oz -  after Hugh

See ya at the movies! Updated On: 4/27/04 at 08:47 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#4re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 8:58pm

The last time all 3 monsters were together was Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein. It was one of their best movies & throughly entertaining. If Van Helsing is half as much fun, it should do nicely

Poster Emeritus

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#5re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 9:04pm

Whoopi Goldberg in THE GIRL FROM OZ! Updated On: 4/27/04 at 09:04 PM

PigletH13 Profile Photo
PigletH13
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 9:13pm

Oh DofB5...you are going to have such a good time at the show, you will accept that the Hugh guy is equally as talented as that Michael guy! Just you wait! re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz -  after Hugh Just ask Jo, she will tell you!

Also...I will continue to try to answer your PM...but seem to be having issues with the reply box.

addition to the serenity prayer: Help me hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off!!! :-)

Dollypop
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 9:21pm

Piglet, yoou also assured me that I'd enjoy the show and I didn't. The cast is marvelous but the material they are performing is the worst garbage I've seen on stage since GOTTA GO DISCO.

Did anyone really write the script for THE BOY FROM OZ or was it merely a matter of Cut and Paste?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 4/27/04 at 09:21 PM

PigletH13 Profile Photo
PigletH13
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 9:33pm

DP....I thought perhaps you would look beyond its faults and find what some of us "other" people have found in the show...which is a place to go and enjoy oneself. God forbid one should have a good time at a Broadway show!

addition to the serenity prayer: Help me hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off!!! :-)

CATSNYrevival
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 9:42pm

Or maybe they'll just call it Whoopi in OZ... Updated On: 4/27/04 at 09:42 PM

Dollypop
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 9:48pm

Piglet, I've had great times at WONDERFUL TOWN and the Encores! version of CAN-CAN. Both had great scores and delightful books. THE BOY FROM DOZE has neither.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

PigletH13 Profile Photo
PigletH13
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 9:56pm

Well DP I am terribly sorry you didn't enjoy yourself at BFO. Since you were that unhappy, should I ever win the lottery, I will certainly make sure you have your money back. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz -  after Hugh

I do thank the good Lord above for allowing me to be able to see btw the flaws of the book and still enjoy myself. Perhaps that makes me less educated regarding theatre...but I'll survive!

Love ya DP!

CATSNYrevival
BroadwayBound06 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound06
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 11:14pm

I think the show can run off of regular broadway people, not having to get big shots from the screen etc. I would like to hear the part of Peter Allen sung properly, no offense against Jackman, but you have to admit he doesn't sing that well, and tends to yell the top notes.

CATSNYrevival
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 11:21pm

I think he sounds a little like Elton John. I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult....

Plum
#15re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 11:25pm

Jackman is still a better singer than the actual Peter Allen.:)

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 11:25pm

Has this board been drinking tonight?

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

CATSNYrevival
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 11:31pm

I may be a bit tipsy from the paxil. No one has said anything about Whoopi. (or my logo). I think she'd be really funny in that show. It worked for '...Forum', c'mon......

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 11:32pm

Thank you Roger!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/27/04 at 11:43pm

I watch American Idol and I think that the red headed kid (cannot remember his name) would be a good Boy from Oz down the road. He sounds like Peter Allen...

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/28/04 at 1:14am

The producers need to face the facts. This show will plummet as soon as Jackman is out. Period. Sure some celeb will run it out for three months (tops), but they'll slide quickly, for no one is going to get the response he did. There are some very capable less famous people who could do it fantastically, but let's face it, without Jackman's name on it, the show wouldn't have made it this far. Again, period.

CATSNYrevival
HotTicket Profile Photo
HotTicket
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/28/04 at 10:34am

I love Hugh Jackman's voice. What do you mean he doesn't sing all that well??????????

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/28/04 at 10:36am

I absolutely love Hugh's voice as well. It's amazing!!

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Boy From Oz - after Hugh
Posted: 4/28/04 at 10:41am

I agree about his voice, if anything he doesn't get the right amount of credit for it, Oh, how I wish he was able to play The Phantom of the Opera in the upcoming movie version.

Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.
Updated On: 4/28/04 at 10:41 AM

Videos