Phantom review 7/7/04

MegGiry Profile Photo
MegGiry
#0Phantom review 7/7/04
Posted: 7/8/04 at 11:26am

I saw the matinee with Hugh Panaro and Julie Hanson, and I LOVED it!! The special effects were wonderful, and the singing and dancing was wonderful!!

I laughed when Carlotta croaked like a toad and all the other funny parts, and I cried when Christine left the Phantom and during Think of Me I cried because that was beautiful. The Don Juan Triumphant scene was great, and I cried over the ending of PONR. I loved Notes as always, and there was no final bow music when they did their final bows.

I went backstage, shaking, and Hugh Panaro was in his dressing room taking his makeup off. Hugh was adorable--I thought his jokes were so cute. I told him I was shaking and then he said, "It's okay. It's a very emotional show." I agreed with him. Then he signed the playbill for me, and he was just so excited to see me. I got a handshake from him, and I left his dressing room with a big smile on my face. I was very very nervous about meeting him, though, but still, he was very very very very sweet.

http://groups.msn.com/The Jerry Herman Appreciation Society

bway_fanatic Profile Photo
bway_fanatic
#1re: Phantom review 7/7/04
Posted: 7/8/04 at 12:16pm

What a wonderful experience!!!!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

J. Profile Photo
J.
#2re: Phantom review 7/7/04
Posted: 7/8/04 at 12:23pm

You got into his ressing room? Cool. I've gona backstage but never in people's rooms.

secret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
#3re: Phantom review 7/7/04
Posted: 7/8/04 at 2:19pm

Isn't Hugh just the sweetest guy EVER? I love him. :)

Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!

#4re: Phantom review 7/7/04
Posted: 7/8/04 at 10:22pm

Thanks for sharing your great experience at POTO! Yes, POTO is a wonderful show and it's even more wonderful with Hugh! He loves embracing admirers of the show and of his work!

Your's truly,

Rosalynn

Juliette Capulet
#5re: Phantom review 7/7/04
Posted: 7/10/04 at 5:37pm

MegGiry...did you get my PM?

Tendres Baisers,
Juliette Capulet

shesings
#6re: Phantom review 7/7/04
Posted: 7/10/04 at 5:47pm

I haven't seen Phantom in ages... wow, I really must go see it sometime soon!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#7re: Phantom review 7/7/04
Posted: 7/10/04 at 5:53pm

My favorite "moment" in the show was during "All I Ask of You." It was the instrumental part where Christine and Raoul kiss, especially the second when the horns stand out (which I believe was the exact time of the first kiss...for those of you who have seen/heard it, hopefully you know what I mean).

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

ponine24601
#8re: Phantom review 7/7/04
Posted: 7/10/04 at 10:21pm

thanks for the review. when i met howard mcgillin when i was like....12 or something he took us on a tour and let us put his mask and wig on. it was great fun. he's so generous.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

MegGiry Profile Photo
MegGiry
#9re: Phantom review 7/7/04
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:45pm

Awww! You guys are "so generous" as well. Anyway, Hugh gave me good advice on my singing and sadly I forgot to tell him that my voice was improving.

I didn't meet the rest of the cast, which was sad, too. I loved it when Hugh smiled at me...those cute little dimples always appear when he smiles. I love that man...he's adorable.

Julie Hansen was wonderful in Think of Me, and she did a really good job in Angel of Music. All the scenes she did wer magnificent!!!!!

Plus, I have stopped smiling two days after the show because my mouth was getting tired
Meg

Updated On: 7/29/04 at 12:45 PM

Phantess Profile Photo
Phantess
#10re: Phantom review 7/7/04
Posted: 7/29/04 at 2:05pm

Wow GREAT review!! How did you get backstage? Did you donate money to BCEFA?

MegGiry Profile Photo
MegGiry
#11re: Phantom review 7/7/04
Posted: 7/29/04 at 2:45pm

My 7th grade LS teacher asked the stage manager if I could go backstage. The stage manager let me, so she, I and my friend who loves musicals went. But Hugh and I met cute backstage...awwwww... He was so adorable telling jokes and all that stuff. Our conversation was bubbly, cute, and well, fun!! He is so lighthearted.

No, I didn't donate money. I was kind of quiet about asking my teacher. I didn't ask her if I could do it. And I don't think I brought money...or did I? No... I didn't.

Meg

Updated On: 7/29/04 at 02:45 PM

Videos