What Do You Think of Gypsy?

Bwaybaby109
#0What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/29/03 at 8:19pm

I saw Gypsy like a month ago and I absolutely loved it! I was so upset that it didn't receive any awards at the Tony's, especially with Bernadette's unforgettable performance! Did you think it was because of Bernadette's illness that the critics didn't give her the best reviews? If you saw Gypsy, what did you think of it? Personally, I thought she was outstanding! I thought her performance was so unique, people are like "Well she's no Ethel Merman!" But it's not fair, because she's not Ethel, she's Bernadette! Anyways, she was great in my opinion and I was upset that she didn't get Best Acress! If you saw the show, what did you think?

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"
Updated On: 6/29/03 at 08:19 PM

broadwayguy2
#1re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/29/03 at 8:21pm

I think the problem with Bernie's perf, as many people have said, is that the whole tome she is up there, you see 'Peters doing Rose'. Not just 'Rose'.

I enjoy David Burtka. The best part of Gypsy!

Bwaybaby109
#2re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/29/03 at 8:24pm

I understand what they mean, but I disagree. I think it's ok for an actor/actress to put a little bit of their personality into the character, as long as it fits the character. She made Rose more sexier, and that's why she is so unique from all other Roses. But yeah, David Burtka was awesome, but I loved Tammy as Gypsy, she was great!

Updated On: 6/29/03 at 08:24 PM

broadwayguy2
#3re: re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/29/03 at 8:30pm

I have loved Tammy since I saw her as young Judt Garland in Me and My Shadows.

Bwaybaby109
#4re: re: re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/29/03 at 8:32pm

Yeah me too! She was so great in it! I personally thought her performance was more believable than the older Judy! I met her and Bernadette after the show, but Tammy was such a nice person!

PJ
#5re: re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/29/03 at 8:33pm

I hope I am not tarred and feathered for this one; but I don't really like Ethel Merman on the cast recording. Her voice seems to, I don't know, manly or brassy or something. I haven't seen Gypsy but plan to, and from what I've heard Bernadette makes the character sexy where as Tyne Daly and Merman made them very butch-like and "get out of my way". I like that Peters is playing her Rose as sexy but still domineering as a driven stage mother. But I can see how people could only see THE BERNADETTE PETERS rather than the actual character itself. It's called star power my friends...
ALSO: It's worth saying that Angela Lansbury is my favorite Rose as of now... Updated On: 6/29/03 at 08:33 PM

broadwayguy2
#6re: re: re: re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/29/03 at 8:34pm

I agree. She nailed even more than the older Judy.
I also adore Kate Reinders, John Dossett, and especially ensemble member/ Gypsy-Louise understudy Julie Martell. Julie is fabulous!

PJ
#7re: re: re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/29/03 at 8:34pm

I've seen a clip of Tammy performing "Let Me Entertain You" on Broadway.com. She has a very good voice and a very expressive face. I like her...even though I have yet to see her.

PJ
#8re: re: re: re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/29/03 at 8:38pm

I keep rambling. Sorry. I always post my messages and then read them, ha. In answer to the first post, I think that Peters' illness did affect her chances.

Bwaybaby109
#9re: re: re: re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/29/03 at 8:38pm

Another young person in the show who completely stood out, was def Baby June, Heather Tepe! I have never seen a young performer like her! Her expressions are priceless! I have high expectations for her in the future! Also PJ, I agree with you about Ethel Merman. She is one of my idols, but she seemed very "manly" to me on the recording!

Updated On: 6/29/03 at 08:38 PM

Broadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/29/03 at 10:02pm

The whole cast was great in Gypsy......Your right little Heather Tepe was wonderful. We were talking to her by the stage door. She is very sweet and a real natural....re: re: re: re: re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

tpdc
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/29/03 at 10:24pm

I think it depends on when you saw Bernadette as Rose. I think it was even after the show's opening night that she was giving strong consistent performances in the role. I thought she was great. I have seen her on stage a lot, but this time she really threw out all her comfortable Bernadette mannerisms. She even offered us an often unlovable Rose. While I enjoyed Tyne Daly's Rose, I think Daly (and even Russell and Midler in the films) was working from the Merman blueprint. I think Bernadette, with the guif=dance of Sam Mendes, threw out the blueprint and started from scratch.

I thought Blanchard was sensational. I've never seen anyone as Louise who touched me more than Blanchard. I liked Burtka as well. Who knew I could ever enjoy him in anything as much as PLAY ABOUT THE BABY. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?

#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/29/03 at 10:45pm

Folks, Let me say upfront that I haven't seen Bernadette's Gypsy except her abreviated "Rose's Turn" on the Tony's. I generallyadore her, after all she lives in my near neighborhood, but I stil think she's miscast. No one is addressing the fact of the character Rose. Rose is hard and cynical and determined from the moment of her entrance. Her thick veneer which has protected her through many years of vaudeville is cracked at the climax of "Rose's Turn." The problem with casting Bernadette is that her stage persona has always been one of being vulnerable. From "Dames At Sea" onward, even "Into the Woods." This is also why she was miscast as Annie Oakley, and failed to make the role her own, as Reba did when she succeeeded Bernadette. That being said, there are those of you who have seen this "Gypsy" and think she is terrific, and you're entitled to your opinion. It's casting against type. Some of agree it works and some of us differ on that point. To those of you who must see it, see it and enjoy it. It's one of the best conceived musicals in the cannon, which is why its hard to fail at "Gypsy" even in amatuer productions. So see "Gypsy" if and love it Some of us would rather spend our theatre dollars on another show. That's what makes Broadway a broad way.

Yours for a better Broadway! The Bulldog.

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/29/03 at 11:59pm

I don't know, but in my opinion you should first see Bernadette Peters in "Gypsy" before you make a decision that cannot be fully backed-up! Personally I do not agree with your opinion that Bernadette was to vulnerable in "Into The Woods", I thought she was amazing, and do not agree in the slightest!!! I do however agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but try to have the knowledge to back it up!!! Also one more question, does the fact that you can go pay to see different shows make Broadway a "Broad-Way", I don't really understand what the hell that means, but whatever!

See Ya!!!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

Bwaybaby109
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/30/03 at 12:06am

Ok, personally I STONGLY disagree with your opinions Bulldog. Especially when you were criticizing her past performances, esp when she did Annie Oakley. Who got Best Actress that year? Damn, you got issues buddy! Finally, her portrayal as Rose is absolutely incredible no matter what you say! You say you love her, but you're like totally making fun of every show she's ever done! You either like her or you don't. I'm sorry I'm being strong about this, but I feel that you're totally crossing the line here!

Updated On: 6/30/03 at 12:06 AM

LittleAngelMaker Profile Photo
LittleAngelMaker
#15re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/30/03 at 12:17am

I've never been a big BP fan, but I thought she was amazing in Gypsy. She nailed the role perfectly.

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#16re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/30/03 at 12:26am

LOL don't feel bad, everyone (for the most part) disagrees with Bulldog's opinions. re: What Do You Think of Gypsy? But he does have a right to them, and they should be respected (and disagreed with in a discussable manner). If he was posting that on her fan site he would be crossing a line, but not really here. Sorry.

I love the show (see icon pic), but hasn't this discussion been run into the ground already? It might be beneficial for new users to check old topics before bringing them up again. Chalk it up to me being in a bad mood (I hate summer when it's sticky out), but this board hasn't been operating very long and we're already repeating conversations.

Since I'm here, Bernadette is amazing in the role (she should have won the Tony). And may I ask how the "Best Rose" poll went? I know a bunch of us sent PM's to vote. What was the turn out...seemed Bette was in a high position from the posts?

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
Updated On: 6/30/03 at 12:26 AM

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#17re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/30/03 at 12:54pm

Broadway Bulldog:

Your post in this thread reminds me of a passage from Richard Greenberg's new play, The Violet Hour. Two characters are discussing a new hit Broadway play.

GIDGER:
It's utterly predictable. Predictable predictable predictable. You know what's going to happen from the second the maid enters with the bowl of roses --

JOHN:
Tickets are impossible to come by; when did you even see it?

GIDGER:
SEE it? Oh, I have no interest in seeing it. Seeing it might get in the way of my opinion.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

tpdc
#18re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/30/03 at 2:25pm

Bulldog, did you see GYPSY? If so, was it recently? When I saw it, Bernadette was hard and determined from start to finish, even after Rose's Turn. She not cynical though. (I didn't find Tyne Daly cynical either.) This is not your "standard Bernadette Peters performance" by any means. Reading about Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy in the papers today, someone noted that Tracy bent his various roles to himself. Many big stars do that. Bernadette has in the past, but this time I think she is really playing her very different concept of Rose not a variation on herself.

Dollypop
#19re: re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/30/03 at 5:38pm

You'll all notice that I have refrained from commenting on Bernadette's performance. I haven't seen it and I won't. I saw Angela Lansbury in the role 10 times and feel the only other person I want to see play the part is the Magnificent Patti LuPone. Until that happens I'll spend my hard earned money elsewhere.

Ta Ta!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Bwaybaby109
#20re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/30/03 at 8:50pm

Amen Magruder! re: re: What Do You Think of Gypsy?

Videos