Evita

DollyGirl Profile Photo
DollyGirl
#0Evita
Posted: 10/24/04 at 10:13pm

We're doing Evita for my school musical. Just curious, is Peron's mistress a decent sized role? I know she sings a song, I just want someone to elaborate. Thanks!

I've got forty more minutes of home economics Then down with the text books And up with the comics

CurtainUp2 Profile Photo
CurtainUp2
#1re: Evita
Posted: 10/24/04 at 10:19pm

Small role (one scene) but she has one solo; "Another Suitcase in Another Hall". Beautiful song.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. - Nelson Mandela
Updated On: 10/24/04 at 10:19 PM

DollyGirl Profile Photo
DollyGirl
#2re: Evita
Posted: 10/24/04 at 10:20pm

It sounds like a fun role though. I love the song!

I've got forty more minutes of home economics Then down with the text books And up with the comics

chunchun
#3re: Evita
Posted: 10/24/04 at 10:30pm

i think the mistress is a awesome part =) Really tho, what other female roles are there really besides eva and some of her family? Well, that arn't chorus roles

erikaamato
#4re: Evita
Posted: 10/24/04 at 11:29pm

I played Eva in high school (yep, my HS did it too!), and there aren't any other female principal roles. Just Eva and the Mistress. And yes, it's just one small scene, but it's a poignant scene, and a GREAT song. Good luck!

timote316
#5re: Evita
Posted: 10/24/04 at 11:36pm

I love Another Suitcase... I've had the song stuck in my head since I first read this thread lol

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#6re: Evita
Posted: 10/24/04 at 11:37pm

It's one of my favorite songs from that show, actually. I'm glad they gave it to Madonna (yes, the only real Eva Peron) to sing because she did a gorgeous job with it.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

B.B. Wolf
#7re: Evita
Posted: 10/24/04 at 11:53pm

I couldn't agree more, Matt_G. I thought Madonna was wonderful in the film version. I have NO idea why the song was not originally given to Eva to sing. It makes no sense structurally for the mistress to sing Another Suitcase. It's a memorable song and an incredibly prominent solo for a character that only appears in ONE friggin scene. But if it must be it must be, I guess. Break a leg! re: Evita

Word. Word, indeed.

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#8re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:01am

Matt -- you will pay for that one -- you will pay dearly my friend....I see a crazy diva called LuPone running through our nation's capitial looking for the nutcase who said Madonna was Eva.....

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#9re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:04am

DAMNIT, WOMAN! I told you not to read this thread!!!

Madonna IS Eva Peron and always will be.

She had to let it happen
She had to change
Couldn't stay all her life listening to LuPone
Shrieking out of the speakers
Shrieking into her ears
So she sang better.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#10re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:06am

well, maybe I could agree with your "song" Matt if Madonna sang the damn score in the key it was written!

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#11re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:07am

She had to change the score some
She had it changed
Couldn't sing in that wrong
Dreaful key
That was written for Patti
Who fuc*ed it all up
Madonna's brilliant.

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#12re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:10am

and yet you are wrong again -- as amazing as Patti WAS -- the score was not written for her....let alone that broad from Michigan!

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#13re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:11am

Bitch, you gon' get on Matt_G's last nerve. Madonna is not "FROM" Michigan. She is from the heaven's and was sent to us on a cloud of love and delivered upon us to spread joy and happiness. Oh, and I do know it wasn't written for her, but I was going for humor.

So BOO-YA!

Updated On: 10/25/04 at 12:11 AM

#14re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:11am

Matt..... oh no you didnt!!

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#15re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:13am

pity matt -- you live this pipe dream that this braod from Michigan actually has talent... re: Evita

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#16re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:14am

Why don't you get off here and go home to your wife since you've obviously turned straight!

CurtainUp2 Profile Photo
CurtainUp2
#17re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:17am

I couldn't agree more. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a HUGE Madonna fan. And while Madonna may not be the greatest actress that ever lived (yes, I know... that's an understatement), she was born to play Evita in the movie version. IMO Evita is a highly underrated film and Madonna's performance is first rate. And her performance of the song Another Suitcase in Another Hall is heart breakingly moving. The parallels between Evita and Madonna, in regard to how they are perceived, are such that Madonna could have been singing about herself, which only adds to the emotional impact of the song and the scene.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. - Nelson Mandela

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#18re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:20am

Whatcha gotta say to that, Mr. KMF?

#19re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:24am

Matt,

Get over yourself. Madonna is no LuPone and never will be!! A one octave range does not a diva make!!

BITCH!!

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#20re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:26am

OH.
HELL.
NO.

CurtainUp2 Profile Photo
CurtainUp2
#21re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:26am

And who the hell in their right mind would want to see Patti Lupone on a 20 foot high screen in close-ups anyway??? re: Evita Not to mention that she was old too old for the part by the time they got around to making the movie. There's a big difference between stage and film. And while I wouldn't have wanted to see Madonna perform it on stage, IMO, for the movie, she was perfect in every way.

#22re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:28am

Matt,

You're lucky my mood enhancers are kicking in otherwise I'd be so p*****!!

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#23re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:29am

I could have been a better Eva than Madonna.....imagine that from a 5'9 bass-baritone gay man!

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#24re: Evita
Posted: 10/25/04 at 12:34am

Put your money where your mouth is, sweetcheeks.

Videos