Pacific Overtures

Angel Dumott Schunard
#0Pacific Overtures
Posted: 11/8/04 at 5:03pm

I am considering buying tickets for this show but I'd like some info about it first. How is the music? The tickets I have found are $33 and are in the Front Rear Mezzanine. Are they considerably good seats?

sean martin
#1re: Pacific Overtures
Posted: 11/8/04 at 5:08pm

Can only speak for the original production and the ENO production, but the score is arguably one of his best. The lyrics range from the incredibly dense ("Man in a Tree"/"Four Black Dragons") to the simply lovely ("Pretty Lady"). And the more you know about Japanese theatre, the more you'll enjoy it.

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#2re: Pacific Overtures
Posted: 11/8/04 at 5:08pm

It's not a big theatre. You can see from everywhere. The music is beautiful with a distinct Japanese influence infused with Western melodies. The book is fascinating and should they go with the Kabuki-esque staging, it should be visually stunning. I saw the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre production and it was very much a worthwhile event. The show does not get produced often, so I'd catch it while you can.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 11/8/04 at 05:08 PM

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#3re: Pacific Overtures
Posted: 11/8/04 at 5:09pm

The music is influenced by Japanese theater. It is beautiful, although hard to swallow for some. I'll be seeing it this Saturday. I have tickets in the front mezz, which is where I always sit when I'm at Studio 54, so I'm not quite sure where front rear mezz seats would be. It's a small theater, so those seats can't be too bad.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#4re: Pacific Overtures
Posted: 11/8/04 at 6:01pm

But keep in mind - they just re-did the entire interior of Studio 54. No one's seen it yet, so the rear mezz might be much closer or much farther away, depending on how they designed it.

I can't wait for this show.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Chrysanthemum62001
#5re: Pacific Overtures
Posted: 11/8/04 at 6:05pm

AAAAAAHHHHHH! DON'T SAY THAT!!!!!
I know it's true, but I only found out a couple of days ago! I haven't had time to accept it yet. (May the tables rest in peace...)

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

munkustrap178
#6re: Pacific Overtures
Posted: 11/8/04 at 6:06pm

Haha I'm happy they're gone - it didn't work for ASSASSINS. It was like half of CABARET was still there and it made me feel like it was just a temporary, brief production. It made me feel uncomfortable.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

tpdc
#7re: Pacific Overtures
Posted: 11/8/04 at 7:51pm

The tables are still there. I am sitting at one Sunday night. I just hope they re-do it before STREETCAR opens. I can't imagine watching a play while sitting at a cabaret table. It was tough enough at ASSASSINS.

This production of PACIFIC OVERTURES is based on the Japanese production that played the states briefly two years ago. It was the best thing I saw that year. Less of a spectacular pageant than the thrilling original production, this production was warm and personal.

munkustrap178
#8re: Pacific Overtures
Posted: 11/8/04 at 8:12pm

Ah, interesting, I thought they got rid of them - finally.

Yankeefan007
#9re: Pacific Overtures
Posted: 11/8/04 at 8:16pm

cant wait to see this. when does the run start and end?

Plum
#10re: Pacific Overtures
Posted: 11/8/04 at 8:17pm

Maybe they didn't have time to get rid of the tables, too. We'll see. I agree that they don't really work for the vast majority of shows, and certainly don't make sense for Pacific Overtures. But I'm really looking forward to seeing this show on my Thanksgiving Break- the score is lovely, and the production sounds fascinating.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#11re: Pacific Overtures
Posted: 11/8/04 at 8:37pm

REALLY looking forward to this show !!! Just got $20 tix...

Click below, and enter promo code : POTELE

http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?organ_val=410&group_id=83470&schedule=list

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#12re: Pacific Overtures
Posted: 11/8/04 at 9:06pm

I am seeing it on friday night!
-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

Videos