pixeltracker

Quick question about cover letters! Please Help!

Quick question about cover letters! Please Help!

xanado_girl Profile Photo
xanado_girl
#0Quick question about cover letters! Please Help!
Posted: 11/14/04 at 8:59pm

If I am sending a resume to a casting agency but do not know the specific agents name who should I address the cover letter to?

Dear Casting Agent:

or
Dear (casting agency):

or simply
To whom it may concern:
????

sorry if this is a dumb question I am just starting out in the business. Thanks in advance!

"Is it your booty? Is that what it is? Is it that booty of yours? I hope it is!"-Zanna, Don't!

timote316
#1re: Quick question about cover letters! Please Help!
Posted: 11/14/04 at 10:32pm

I'd imagine To Whom It May Concern, but I'm not qualified enough to know for sure

timote316
#2re: Quick question about cover letters! Please Help!
Posted: 11/14/04 at 10:32pm

double post Updated On: 11/14/04 at 10:32 PM

dancinfan
#3re: Quick question about cover letters! Please Help!
Posted: 11/14/04 at 10:33pm

Are you doing a mass mailing or writing to a specific agency for a specific reason (like someone recommended that you do so)? The absolute best thing you could do is find out which agent in the office handles which shows and address it to the agent you really want to target. If this isn't possible or you are doing a more general mailing, then I would recommend a To Whom It May Concern thing.

However, a mass mailing to Broadway casting agents will most likely be a waste of time - your expensive picture will go into the trash unopened at most agencies. (TV/soap agents are more likely to look at their mail for a pretty face.) The best ways to be seen by theatrical casting directors are to get into a class or showcase that they will actually attend; or to audition really well for them at an open call.

xanado_girl Profile Photo
xanado_girl
#4re: Quick question about cover letters! Please Help!
Posted: 11/15/04 at 2:21am

Thanks for the help. I'm not doing a mass mailing but I don't know the name of the agent who will be handling the show. Oh well, it has to be mailed by tomorrow so I think I will just do a "to whom it way concern" and hope for the best. I'm sort of doing this on a whim anyhow so I won't be totally dissapointed if they do throw it away. Heck, it's worth a shot.
Thanks again!

"Is it your booty? Is that what it is? Is it that booty of yours? I hope it is!"-Zanna, Don't!

grownupgroupie Profile Photo
grownupgroupie
#5re: Quick question about cover letters! Please Help!
Posted: 11/15/04 at 2:40am

Wanted to add: if it's a mailing for a specific show, I always mark that on the envelope...and if it's appropriate (and not limiting), mark which role I'm hoping to be seen for as well.

e.g.

Acme Agency, Attn: Opposite of Sex Casting
123 W. 45th St.
NY, NY 10019

And on the lower left corner of the envelope, I'd write,

Re: Opposite of Sex/"Deedee"

If I had the specific agent or CD's name, obviously I'd leave of the "Attn." part off of the address line, but still keep that "Re: Show/character" part on the lower left. A little Brian O'Neil ("The Business of Acting") tip for you:) Updated On: 11/15/04 at 02:40 AM

Videos