Wizard of Oz

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#0Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 12:40pm

How do you think the Wizard of Oz would do if it opened on Broadway (maybe changed slightly) after Wicked closed - which I know isn't for a long time.

Do you think it could do as well as Wicked?

Or if it opened in the Gershwin - then the Gershwin would spend decades in the land of Oz.

"I've often said I should put sweets in my chair - they'd spend less time on my a** that way....." ~F.W.B.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#1re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 12:44pm

WHY DO YOU ALWAYS START NEW THREADS WHEN YOU COULD HAVE SAID THAT IN THE THREAD ABOVE IT. **grumble, grumble, grumble. throw things, throw things, shout, shout, calm down, drinks a mountain dew.** re: Wizard of Oz

Um, if it opened now, it would get compared to Wicked instead of the other way around. I think it would actually do pretty well. If I could get to Broadway, I would see it.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

#2re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 12:45pm

It wouldn't work out, because no one can play Dorothy like Judy. The thing with Wicked is that no one has a preconceived notion, and with The Wizard Oz, most people are going to expect the movie.

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#3re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 12:47pm

Sorry spider,
Perhaps because the last post was about Wicked!

By the by, she played Dorothy in high school, do you think Idina could play Dorothy? Although in 10 years or w/e she may be too old. I think that would bring in a lot of new ppl.

Remember, if this happened in say 10 years, it will be a new generation - people who grew up with Wicked lol. Scary.

"I've often said I should put sweets in my chair - they'd spend less time on my a** that way....." ~F.W.B.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#4re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 12:48pm

Didn't it do well on the tour that it was on (I think it was a tour), With Mickey Roony and Eartha Kitt.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 11/30/04 at 12:48 PM

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#5re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 12:49pm

jmaclover--I was just joking. Trust me, if I was serious I would not have spoken the actions and put a cute little winking icon beside it. GASP! here it is again, so cute-----> re: Wizard of Oz

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#6re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 12:50pm

I like Eartha Kitt - what a great Wicked Witch (I said Wicked Witch, not Elphaba - for all you little 12 yo she-devils).

Spider,
It's ok, I don't care (much)<--lol.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#7re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 12:52pm

hahaha. Much love, clover. Much love. re: Wizard of Oz

broadwayguy2
#8re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 12:53pm

Idina as Dorothy?? HELL NO. She is about 17 years too old for it.

I saw the tour with Jessica Grove, eartha Kitt, and Mickey Rooney. It was essentially a cut down version ofa regional staging (from paper mill). Jessica Grove was fantastic.

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#9re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 12:53pm

N......O...........T CLOVER~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm dying!!!!

I posted about this before and got yelled at "Don't post about ur name blah blah blah"

WELL I'M SORRY

J-MAC-LOVER

LOOK AT MY ICON - Joey McIntyre

LOL, ok

I am human again.

So, much love back!

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#10re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 12:56pm

FINE THEN, Mrs. McIntyre. **grovels at feet for forgiveness** re: Wizard of Oz

Anyway, I think people would love Wizard of Oz. I mean, your theatre going audience knows it is not the movie so I don't think that would be much of a concern.

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#11re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 1:01pm

I have the CD with Jessica Grove, Eartha Kitt

I like it so much!

She is good.

I hat lableing people as a role. Judy Garland was good, fantastic, amazing, but better ppl will come along.

Look, Natasha Richardson, to me, rocks Liza Minelli's Sally Bowles any day!

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#12re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 1:02pm

Well, hehe, groveling isn't necessary!

Barnaby12345 Profile Photo
Barnaby12345
#13re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 1:17pm

Is that you in your icon next to Joey, jmaclover?

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#14re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 1:19pm

Why?

And isn't that more of a PM?

Barnaby12345 Profile Photo
Barnaby12345
#15re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 1:46pm

SOrry I just wasn't sure if it was you or an actress, nevermind then.

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#16re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 1:51pm

Yea, it's me.

chauvelin128 Profile Photo
chauvelin128
#17re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 1:51pm

I think Wizard of Oz would be a great project for Julie Taymor.

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#18re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 1:53pm

Oh, lord, spare us!

chauvelin128 Profile Photo
chauvelin128
#19re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 2:01pm

Why not? Can't you just imagine the bunruku puppet munchkins?

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#20re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 2:03pm

My eyes are starting to burn!

gcal
#21re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 2:22pm

Didn't Roseanne Barr play the witch at Madison Square Garden around the same time as that tour?

broadwayguy2
#22re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 2:23pm

yes, Roseanne did. The show played MSG before the tour began.

FabalaCohen
#23re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 2:26pm

I think it would be interesting to bring to Broadway, but I say that people may compare it to Wicked.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a televised concert special a few years back featuring Jewel as Dorothy? All I remember is Roger Daltry as the Tinman (*mental brain flossing due to having watched Tommy one time too many*)

"During this performance, please feel free to let your cell phones and pagers ring willy-nilly. However, do remember that there are heavily-armed knights on stage and you might well be dragged up and impaled." (Pre-curtain announcement at the new Broadway musical Monty Python's Spamalot)

broadwayguy2
#24re: Wizard of Oz
Posted: 11/30/04 at 2:28pm

yes, it 1996 there was a concert version at Lincoln Center -- it was a benefit -- and ita ired on TV and the video and CD are available.

Videos