Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?

lovinlife2 Profile Photo
lovinlife2
#0Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?
Posted: 1/3/05 at 10:37pm

If Rachel York was cast in Wicked, do you think she would be good for Elphaba or Glinda?

luvWICKED416 Profile Photo
luvWICKED416
#1re: Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?
Posted: 1/3/05 at 10:39pm

oooooo good question. I'd have to say Elphaba

jmnpublications
#2re: Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?
Posted: 1/3/05 at 10:44pm

She could handle either, but I'd vote for Elphaba. She'd be a force! Can you hear her belting "Defying Gravity?" Wow.

lc

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#3re: Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?
Posted: 1/3/05 at 10:44pm

I would have to say Galinda. Only because I've never heard her belt though. I only saw her in Kiss Me Kate, and she sounded better for Glinda based on that and that alone.

jmnpublications
#4re: Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?
Posted: 1/3/05 at 10:48pm

Trust me, Billy. The girl can belt. And Elphaba would give her the chance to really break out with her acting, too. She has power to spare.

lc

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#5re: Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?
Posted: 1/3/05 at 11:24pm

I don't know or care, but Rachel York HAS to be on broadway....NOW! re: Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

jmnpublications
#6re: Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?
Posted: 1/3/05 at 11:35pm

chinkie,

I couldn't agree with you more! But she will be off-Broadway at the Lincoln Center in DESSA ROSE with LaChanze, Norm Lewis, and Michael Hayden soon. Previews start Feb. 17 and tickets go on sale later this month. It's Ahrens and Flaherty's newest musical, and I'm expecting great things.

lc

lovinlife2 Profile Photo
lovinlife2
#7re: Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?
Posted: 1/3/05 at 11:49pm

I could totally see her in the green makeup and costume! She would sing the best I'm not that girl!

jmnpublications
#8re: Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?
Posted: 1/4/05 at 12:22am

dd,

Last year I saw Rachel as Dorothy in "Summer of '42" in which she played a young war bride, and she was totally believable. (I understand Idina Menzel played the same role earlier off-Broadway). I think one of her great qualities is her versatility. She can play younger and older, partly because her voice is so adaptable, but also because she adopts the mannerisms of her characters so seamlessly. In "Sly Fox" she went from playing the seasoned prostitute to the virginal young bride and was completely convincing in both roles. In "Lucy" she aged from 22 to 50 and changed her voice, posture, carriage and facial expressions to convey the various stages in her life quite effectively.

Besides, if she were Elphaba, the green makeup would neutralize the age issue, I think.

I totally agree about the '40s movie star comparison, though. She does have that kind of elegance about her.

lc

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#9re: Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?
Posted: 1/4/05 at 12:29am

she's too good for it.

jmnpublications
#10re: Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?
Posted: 1/4/05 at 12:33am

Well, that is a good point, Cats!

lc

jmnpublications
#11re: Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?
Posted: 1/4/05 at 12:50am

Good points, DD. Although I have to say, she really did seem playful and youthful in '42. Of course, that was a role with many serious tones, so it can't really compare to the youthful qualities you talk about in WICKED.

I'd much rather see her originate roles rather than be a replacement, anyway. It's just fun to speculate.

And I knew you weren't slamming her. Sorry if I came across as if I thought you were.

And I completely agree with you about ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY. She would be fabulous in that! I saw a production of it recently in Massachusetts, and I was picturing her in it the whole time.

It should be very interesting to see how she approaches her character in DESSA ROSE. I have read the book, and she seems perfect for the role of Ruth that she'll be playing.

lc

jmnpublications
#12re: Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?
Posted: 1/4/05 at 1:12am

dd,

Funny you should say that about Ulla. I agree! Once again, when I saw the touring production of THE PRODUCERS in Boston last year, I kept thinking, "Oh, my, Rachel York would be so much better!"

I can't comment on the dancing. I've never seen her in anything that required really good dancing. In VICTOR/VICTORIA she was deliberately trying to dance like a bit of a klutz for the character of Norma, so that can't be my yardstick. I know she was in ANYTHING GOES in LA and supposedly did a knockout tap number. I also understand she played Cassie in A CHORUS LINE and Eva Peron in EVITA in regional theater, so she must be okay.

Glad you enjoy her so much. As you can tell, I do, too.

lc

belterboi Profile Photo
belterboi
#13re: Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?
Posted: 1/4/05 at 1:42am

Rachel York...amazing..saw her as kate in kiss me, kate..met her afterwards...so sweet! I would love to see her as anything! Elphie...she would look goregous in green! :)

luvWICKED416 Profile Photo
luvWICKED416
#14re: Rachel York-Elphie or Glinda?
Posted: 1/4/05 at 1:45am

I only saw her at a benefit this past Oct. but I would LOVE to see her in a show... she's incredibly talented

Videos