TUTS Houston

Chevstriss
#0TUTS Houston
Posted: 1/18/05 at 10:31pm

does anyone know what theatres TUTS is connected with? at one time, they would trade off shows w/ another regional theatre, maybe 2 or 3 theatres.

In other words, if you got cast in a TUTS show, you would also play some other city? it justs escapes me at the moment. And they may not be doing it this season.

I'd fire you... if you weren't so g*dd*mn beautiful out there. - Blades of Glory blog

ProducerJeff Profile Photo
ProducerJeff
#1re: TUTS Houston
Posted: 1/18/05 at 10:45pm

I could be wrong, but I think one of them is the Starlight Theatre in Kansas City.

Letty2
#2re: TUTS Houston
Posted: 1/18/05 at 10:51pm

Im pretty sure they aren't doing it this season. I live in Houston and saw a TUTS production of A Chorus Line a couple of months ago and I know it only played in Houston.

Chevstriss
#3re: TUTS Houston
Posted: 1/18/05 at 10:53pm

i don't think they did it w/ every single show, often the 1st and last of the season. didn't they once trade off shows w/ Pittsburgh CLO? and someplace in Atlanta?

I'd fire you... if you weren't so g*dd*mn beautiful out there. - Blades of Glory blog
Updated On: 1/18/05 at 10:53 PM

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#4re: TUTS Houston
Posted: 1/19/05 at 2:31am

Most of TUTS' shows are only Houston productions (or they are hosting a tour). However, many of the CLOs across the country will share sets, costumes, and even leading actors to cut costs.

TUTS' sister theatre is the 5th Avenue Musical Theatre Company in Seattle. World Premieres will often be produced by both theatres. One in 98 was produced by those two with the Ordway (Hot Shoe Shuffle).

In 99, I was in a production of Grand Hotel that was done in proscenium in Seattle and then arena in Houston--we spent a week reworking the show for the new format. It was a thrilling experience. Half of my cast had just done productions of it in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with the same director and choreographer. The rest of us were either brand spanking new or had done it on Broadway, West End, and/or the 1st National.

TUTS is a great place to earn your Equity card. If you go to Univ of Houston or Univ of Texas, you can intern at TUTS to fulfill your MFA requirements. They are not only one of the few theatres that pay interns--they pay WELL. I owe a lot to the theatre as it has given me much education and experience. And as I said--more than half my Equity weeks were earned with them.

zbigner
#5re: TUTS Houston
Posted: 1/19/05 at 7:37pm

For a few years I think TUTS had full responsibility for programming 5th Avenue in Seattle, but I believe that arrangement has ended. The trend now is for regional theatres to do co-productions to save costs. In addition to the ones already mentioned, the most notable of these are the recent Big River tour and the current Peter Pan tour. TUTS just announced their 05-06 season, and I remember at least 1 co-production will be with Pittsburgh CLO.

I also heard an interview with the TUTS President who said he had a deal worked out last summer to bring the Assassins revival out on tour, but he could not find one other regional theatre to co-produce it which effectively killed the deal. I was really diappointed to hear that, but that's the reality with shows being so expensive now.

Pass it on - Take a kid to a show.

Videos