News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ProducerJeff

ProducerJeff Profile Photo
Member Name: ProducerJeff
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Favorite 'Entire town singing' Songs?
 Aug 4 2008, 08:39:43 PM
"Tradition" from Fiddler
"I've Got Rhythm" from Crazy For You

re: Those quirky moments in community theatre you love
 Aug 20 2007, 04:04:20 PM
In a production of Crazy For You there are a couple of scenes in Lank's Saloon where cowboys get into a fake fight and shoot each other.....well the gun wouldn't work so my actor thought it would be funny to just throw it at the other person....which he did. The person falls over dead as if he'd been shot.

While this was mildly amusing the first time (the audience didn't mind), he then did the same thing again a few nights later (this after being told not to do it again). Couldn't r

re: Shows You've Done
 Aug 7 2006, 08:54:15 PM
While many shows have been memorable, none more so than a production I just finished a few weeks back. We were the first in the area granted amateur rights for CATS and besides producing, I also had the pleasure of having the role of Bustopher. What made it memorable is hearing the compliments night after night that we were better than the touring productions that had come through over the years. Not bad for a community theatre and a prodcution such as CATS.
re: Original Choreogrpahy being used in other productions
 Aug 1 2006, 02:07:29 PM
It has been a while since we did it, but as I recall the contract from MTI for West Side Story says you must use the original choreography from Jerome Robbins.....I don't remember the exact phrasing but it was along those lines.
re: high school musical
 Jul 27 2006, 07:36:23 PM
I find it amusing that people keep saying that their school is doing the show or that rights are too expensive for them to do it, etc. Unless I am missing something I don't know how a school is getting quoted royalties on HSM let alone say they are doing the show as has been mentioned in previous threads.

MTI does indeed have the rights and anticipate taking license requests sometime in the Fall....but according to my area rep at MTI they are NOT quoting fees or issuing performance lic

What show would you do?
 Jul 19 2006, 11:02:56 PM
We are getting ready to select a production to do next summer. We have a 57 year tradition of producing an outdoor summer musical that draws thousands each year.

Our Board has selected a few shows from which to select from. They are:

Crazy For You
Guys and Dolls
42nd Street
Singin' in the Rain
Footloose
Seussical

I am not worried about finding the talent necessary to do any of the shows....fortunately we don't have a problem finding the actor/danc

re: Audition for CATS?
 Jul 18 2006, 03:20:20 PM
I just got done producing a production of CATS and was also a part of the cast. I have to be honest in that when it was determined we were doing the show I listened to the cast recording and thought to myself 'WHY'? After being in it I would say it was a wonderful experience and I actually like the music and would say I had more fun doing this production than any I have ever been a part of.

But the experience is only as good as your fellow actors and your director and choreographer.

re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
 Jul 15 2006, 12:03:51 AM
You know I don't care much about the show...in fact I find it quite boring and I dislike the music. That being said my daughter LOVES the movie and constantly sings the songs as does nearly every other girl/teen in school. It is immensely popular.

That being said, as a producer of community theatre I have to admit that I am considering putting this show up next summer if rights do indeed become available as they appear they will be from MTI. Why? Beacause the show is a gold mine a

re: How hard would CATS be?
 Sep 15 2005, 10:08:34 AM
THANKS for all of your input.....not sure if we will do it or not now, but your comments will help in the decision making process and make for lively discussion and discourse.
How hard would CATS be?
 Sep 14 2005, 03:39:44 PM
A community theatre group I work with is very interested in doing Cats in the upcoming months. R&H is handling the rights and they will be avialable early 2006. My question is (not being overly familiar with the show) how hard would it be to put up? Hard to sing? I would guess choreography is hard? Obviously costuming is a key element.

Also your thoughts as to if it would be a successful draw?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

re: Ok, Grease!!
 Aug 8 2005, 08:14:15 AM
This is a tough one......personally the music is not my cup of tea and the book is fair at best. However, having recently produced the show for eight nights--we had some of the best crowds we've had in a while---so needless to say the show made this producer very happy!
re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
 Aug 5 2005, 09:25:42 AM
I produced WSS for a local community theatre a couple of years back....and in the contract I signed with MTI it does state something to the effect that the original Jerome Robbins choreography should be used....etc., etc. (not sure on the exact wording and I am too lazy to dig up the contract).

We did keep to the spirit of the Robbins choreography, however it is hard when you don't have dancers that have the training necessary to do some of the moves.

re: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Info
 Jul 22 2005, 03:52:50 PM
Thank you for your input..... I appreciate those who took time to respond!
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Info
 Jul 21 2005, 02:13:04 PM
There is a possibility a community theatre group that I work with will be doing Seven Brides for Seven Brothers....what are your thoughts on this show? I am not overly familiar with it and am wondering if it is a show that even has any appeal to the public....any insights you have would be appreciated.

THANKS!

re: My Audition- Not Called Back. Now What?
 Feb 16 2005, 03:07:44 PM
My answer would be its hard to say. Just because you didn't get a call back does not mean you are not getting a role. Conversely just because one gets a call back doesn't mean one is getting a role. Bottom line is you need to sit tight and wait until the cast list is posted. I would guess that since you did not get a call back that if you are offered a role it will be a smaller role or an ensemble role. Either way think of it as a learning process and just enjoy it all.

What show wa

re: Dream Roles
 Feb 3 2005, 07:07:32 AM
Tevye or Nathan Detroit....I would also love the part of Max in The Producers.....sadly as one gets older, the choices get limited.
re: TUTS Houston
 Jan 18 2005, 10:45:06 PM
I could be wrong, but I think one of them is the Starlight Theatre in Kansas City.
re: Other actors on the board?
 Sep 15 2004, 08:29:00 PM
Rath & Link,

A Fiddler support group would be great! I have been suffering from Fiddler withdrawal for a couple of months. I produced and acted in a recent run of the show here in Nebraska.

Rath--you will love the role of Hodel. I was Mordcha the Innkeeper (not a huge role, but alot of fun).

re: Other actors on the board?
 Sep 12 2004, 09:41:30 PM
I'm a part time actor/producer....I know, odd combination. At any rate, you rock Erika! :)
re: Cure for Chiggers
 Sep 1 2004, 02:13:55 PM
Keep the area clean with soap and water and apply calamine lotion to control the itching. Try not to scratch much as you can easily cause a secondary infection. Hydrocortisone might help as well. You could also try taking some Benadryl to help releave the itching.

--'Dr.' Jeff

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You