pixeltracker

The Musical Of Musicals! (The Musical)

The Musical Of Musicals! (The Musical)

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#0The Musical Of Musicals! (The Musical)
Posted: 11/21/03 at 5:07pm

In this comic satire of musical theatre genres, one story becomes five musicals, each in a distinctive style of a different master of the form. June, an ingenue, who can't pay the rent, is threatened by her evil landlord. Will the handsome leading man come to her rescue? In an evening of variations on a theme, this basic plot is musicalized in the way Rodgers and Hammerstein's might have envisioned it, taking place in Kansas in August, complete with a dream ballet. The story is then done in the style of Stephen Sondheim, featuring the landlord as a tortured, artistic genius who slashes the throats of his tenants in revenge because they don't appreciate his art. When the story is presented in the style of Jerry Herman, the story becomes a splashy star vehicle, while the Andrew Lloyed Webber version is a rock musical, with borrowed themes from Puccini. The story is retold one last time in the style of Kander and Ebb, set in a speakeasy in Chicago. The tone of this evening of satire is lovely/irreverent "in a sorry grateful kind of way".

This was sent to me through email by the New York Times. Has anyone else ever heard of this? What do we think? Updated On: 11/28/03 at 05:07 PM

Audrey
#1re: The Musical Of Musicals! (The Musical)
Posted: 11/22/03 at 1:47am

Did ALW really "borrow" his music? If so, how much of it?

Very Curious...

etoile
#2 The Musical Of Musicals! (The Musical)
Posted: 11/22/03 at 12:00pm

Wow, flashback to the FaithPrinceFan days.

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.

FindingNamo
#3re: The Musical Of Musicals! (The Musical)
Posted: 11/22/03 at 12:03pm

You can say that again. But cleverer times ten.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#4re: re: The Musical Of Musicals! (The Musical)
Posted: 11/22/03 at 8:27pm

i think seeing it would be instructive. But i'd also like to see the musical theatre version of the story's source, Barry Manilow's THE DRUNKARD, again. Who's parodying all those composers?!?!?

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

Jidder
#5re: The Musical Of Musicals! (The Musical)
Posted: 11/28/03 at 12:07pm

THE MUSICAL OF MUSICALS starts previews on December 2nd at the York Theatre. I am involved in the production and have to say that it's the most fun I've ever had in the theatre!!!

Videos