wicked and idina

RentBoy86
#0wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 8:16pm

Hey, I was reading one of the other Wicked threads and was wondering where the clip of Idina singing "defying gravity" acoustic is? It sounds really interesting, I just wanted to hear it. Thanks.

Joshua488
#1re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 8:18pm

Oh, boy, it is QUITE interesting.

Interesting to hear how one woman can be so flat and yell so much in just one song.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#2re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 8:19pm

I want to hear it now!

matthius202
#3re: wicked and idina

yeah...it's pretty bad

"Be not like dumb, driven cattle. Be a hero in the strife." A Psalm of Life...Walt Whitman

BSoBW2
#4re: wicked and idina

idinamenzel.net

My Fair Lady
#5re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 8:21pm

I found it! It's worse than the Tony Awards!

matthius202
#6re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 8:22pm

AND THAT WAS AWFUL!! haha

"Be not like dumb, driven cattle. Be a hero in the strife." A Psalm of Life...Walt Whitman

CatieElphie1 Profile Photo
CatieElphie1
#7re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 8:22pm

oh, honey, don't.
It's awful!!
she sounds drunk or something...she slurs all the words and it's just...bad.
no, I change my mind...she dosn't sound drunk, she sounds like she's trying to be all rocker or something.

Was that a fat joke?

My Fair Lady
#8re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 8:23pm

I KNOW!

"Unliiiiiiiiimiiiiiited, my future is unliiiiiiimiiiited."

Joshua488
#9re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 8:23pm

Isn't it?!?! The Tony Awards performance, of which I have the video saved on my PC, is INCREDIBLY disappointing.

The acoustic version blows the Tonys performance out of the park.

matthius202
#10re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 8:24pm

no you're right. she sounds drunk. actually, i have yet to hear a Broadway-calibur clip or SEE a Broadway-calibur clip of her to this date. I was in such awe of this woman when I heard her on the RENT CD and then The Wild Party and then Wicked. And now I'm just filled with disappointment.

My Fair Lady
#11re: wicked and idina

This is so awful! I'm up to the end! She sounds like she's trying to be country/rock and has pneumonia.

BSoBW2
#12re: wicked and idina

I just think the song wasn't right as an acoustic version

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#13re: wicked and idina

"Is ever gonna bring me DAHHH!!!!owwwwn!!!"

My Fair Lady
#14re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 8:26pm

I'm listening again. It, in a sick way, amuses me. I'm so happy I saw Eden.

BSoBW2
#15re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 8:27pm

She was TONS better in the show...

Joshua488
#16re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 8:29pm

In Idina's defense, I actually DO have a live recording of "Defying Gravity" in which she sounds phenomenal. Her voice sounds spectacular and crisp and she hits each note with ease. She does a few different riffs near and at the end, as well. I was very impressed by this recording.

matthius202
#17re: wicked and idina

where is it josh?

BSoBW2
#18re: wicked and idina

yes, I think the song itself isn't (and cannot be made) for the acoustic rendition....

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#19re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 8:57pm

I feel stupid, but what page on www.wickedonbroadway.net is the recording on?? I can't find it. Thanks.

RentBoy86
#20re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 8:59pm

I just heard it. I like it a lot. I really want the Wicked CD, maybe someone will give to me for my bday in March. I wish i could see the Tony's performance, but the clip for the site won't load on my computer, any other places i can see it?

BSoBW2
suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#22re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 9:04pm

thanks!

PJ
#23re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 9:10pm

I've heard this clip before and I think she just got caught up in the whole "I'm doing a rock concert" vibe and went a bit overboard.

And she was phenomenal live at the Gershwin. She effortlessly hit every note and then some.

Oh well. Can't please everyone, I suppose.

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#24re: wicked and idina
Posted: 2/20/05 at 9:51pm

I've heard her do it AMAZINGLY well. I've also heard it done not so well. This may come as some surprise to some of you, but Idina Menzel, or any other singer on Broadway, is not a machine. They have off nights and off shows. Who knows what the reasons are. I think I've said this before, but I've seen Heather Headly on many different television programs, "singing" and it was just...wow. Flat notes all over, veins bulging due to her screaming...but, then again, those just might have been her off nights...sadly it's all I've heard of her. Anyway, just my two cents.

-Vincent