AMDA - song choice

FSUtheatre
#0AMDA - song choice
Posted: 2/28/05 at 12:02am

Hello,

I am auditioning for AMDA in late April. I know there has been a lot of AMDA posts, but I am curious as to what type of song choice is best for this audition. Not to sure about doing a comedy or ballad. If anyone has auditioned and could give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#1re: AMDA - song choice
Posted: 2/28/05 at 12:05am

I have a friend who just got his certificate from AMDA and is currently doing a Gershwin tour...I'll give him a call and see what he thinks. re: AMDA - song choice

C.

www.christopherviolett.com

FSUtheatre
#2re: AMDA - song choice
Posted: 2/28/05 at 12:09am

Thanks man, any advice I can get will be appreciated.

jarred03
#3re: AMDA - song choice
Posted: 2/28/05 at 5:12am

My AMDA audition is March 12 but I can't help you with a song because I don't have to sing just perform 2 contrasting monologues, but I knew 2 people who went to AMDA and the both sand ballads. I think you should choose whatever song you feel most comfortable performing.

showstopper
#4re: AMDA - song choice
Posted: 2/28/05 at 8:03am

Are you male or female? What is your vocal range?

truffleshuffle Profile Photo
truffleshuffle
#5re: AMDA - song choice
Posted: 2/28/05 at 8:36am

FSU,
Song choice for AMDA should be something your completely comfortable with, is within your range, and best shows off what you can do with a tune. They don't want to just hear you sing, they want to see you act the song. They want to see you find those moments in the piece, and make them your own. Make a connection to the tune, whatever it may be. So choose something your comfortable with, perhaps something you've done a lot in the past, something you know cold, and are really able to dig into. I graduated from AMDA a couple of years ago, and have been working ever since. It's a great school, you get out of it, what you put into it. Don't get distracted by the bu#$%^t, that comes along with going through a conservatory program in NY. Just enjoy the experience, and be the sponge! Learn all you can, there are some great professors at that school, who really know their stuff, and want to teach. So go for it! Break a leg!!

When dame fortune tosses me a curve, I never give away to despair, I hang on with every little nerve, trying to keep my balance as I dangle in air.

iluvtheatertrash
#6re: AMDA - song choice
Posted: 2/28/05 at 12:16pm

I sang 'Gethsemmanae' from JCS and got in.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

FSUtheatre
#7re: AMDA - song choice
Posted: 2/28/05 at 2:21pm

Hello,

Thanks for all the advice. I am a male, 20 years old, and my vocal range is a tenor. I have done the Kite for college auditions, but didn't really think that this song would be suitable for AMDA. The song "It happens to me" from Me and Juliet is also a favorite song of mine. Any other suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Videos