News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!

Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#0Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 12:23am

Hey all...
I was there tonight and was quite impressed. I was expecting a disaster, and though the show needs some work, it is definately not in terrible shape.

The first thing I noticed was that Christina is still on the the cover of the Playbill and very much listed in the cast. There was an understudy board in the lobby announcing that Charlotte would be playing Charity at this performance and there was a slip inside the Playbill also announcing her. My question is why there was enough time to add Jane LaManna and Kyra DaCosta to the Playbill, but not Charlotte. Hmmm...... Also saw Walter Bobbie, Wayne Cilento and the Weisslers in the house. They were stopping patrons (they asked me, I said 'no') to make remarks about the show for the camera. I guess they are making a commercial.

As for the show....first off, the score sounds great. I love a show with a great overture and entre'acte. The orchestra was hot and the singing was pretty terrific throughout. Charlotte was a bit hard to hear, but i'd blame that on mic problems. The lighting was spectacular and costumes were nicely tied into the look that the ad campaign projected. I thought the set was good...not great...but good. It looked a bit sparse at times. The choreography, while not completely Fosse, was very good. "Rich Man's Frug" was a huge crowd pleaser.

Charlotte was fantastic. I was pleased that she recieved some nice entrance applause tonight. She danced like a dream, was adorable, sang well and is a great physical comedian. I'm sure she will find laughs more easily as her run progresses. My companion's first remark at intermission was, "I don't think Christina Applegate could do that." I wonder if they have polished and beefed up the dancing for Charlotte. One would never know this was her first performance. Anyways, I know she may not sell as many tickets as Applegate, but she is a solid, endearing Charity.

Dennis O'Hare is marvelous. He doesn't appear until the 1st act is nearly over, but makes a huge impression by intermission. He's just adorable..and perfect..and Charlotte seemed the most at ease with him. The rest of the cast was very good. I'll single out Paul Schoeffler as Vittorio Vidal for giving the audience some great laughs. He has a great voice also. Honestly, LaManna and DaCosta were OK. Yes, just OK. Hopefully, they will grow in their roles.

My problem with the show is the direction. All the elements are there for this to be very good, but it just doensn't seem to be held together tightly. I knew very little about the show going in, so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but i'll say that it just felt a bit unfinished. I understand tonight's ending was new with Charity and chorus reprising an insturmental "I'm a Brass Band." It was clever, but I think it would be better with just Charity dancing it. Lord knows Charlotte can do it.

At the end of tonight's show, the audience seemed very pleased and gave Charlotte a generous standing ovation at her curtain call. I will say again, the music sounds glorious. I hope the show is fine tuned enough to have a healthy Broadway run. I assume changes will be made during the Boston run, so I hope to see it again just before it leaves. Many people seem to be working hard on "Sweet Charity" and deserve success.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"
Updated On: 3/19/05 at 12:23 AM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#1re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 12:33am

Thanks for the report! I'm glad to hear that Charlotte did a great job. But at this point, it doesn't sound like this revival is going to light New York on fire. I was kind of hoping to hear that the production itself had ironed out some of the problems from Chicago and Minneapolis, but it still sounds like just an "OK" evening of theatre -- and I can't imagine it getting the kind of reviews to be a hit in NYC if its simply that!

But they still have some time before April 21st
Updated On: 3/19/05 at 12:33 AM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#2re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 12:35am

Yeah, I agree with basically everything you said. It does need work, but it's in fine shape. How is the ending supposed to be? Does anyone know? I'm not familiar with the show at all, this was the first time I was seeing it.

They probably changed the Playbills for the other two girls already because they were cast before or during the other runs, so they had time to switch the names before the Playbills were printed.

And honestly, I really would like to see Christina do the role. I think it is something she could tackle. Well, you never know until you see her.

I'll probably be seeing the show again after it opens on Broadway. I'd love to see how it changes, cast-wise and production-wise. It'd be interesting.

By the way, where were you seated, Princeton?

~Steven
Updated On: 3/19/05 at 12:35 AM

Princeton78
#3re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 12:37am

I was in Balc. Row C
And yourself?

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#4re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 12:40am

Right Mezzanine, Row C.
Student rush, what what!

~Steven

Princeton78
#5re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 12:44am

There was a student rush? NO!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#6re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 12:47am

Was it full tonight? Did the audience "know" that Applegate was going to be out?

Princeton78
#7re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 1:03am

House was realatively full, but there were a few empty seats. The audience was aware of Christina's absense as there was an understudy board in the lobby and a large insert in the Playbill.

RentBoy86
#8re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 1:18am

Why were the other two girls cast? what happened to the originals?

Princeton78
#9re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 1:22am

I really have no flippin' clue. I thought the 2 girls tonight were very professional, very well rehearsed, but didn't have much *pop*

RentBoy86
#10re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 1:40am

Oh, so the producers just didnt like the other two girls? Weird.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#11re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 2:52am

Yes, there was student rush. =)

~Steven

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#12re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 3:00am

Thanks for the review princeton78! I know they are still working on the ending and beginning...I am still hoping for a great NY opening (with Christina or Charlotte). I have hope the changes implemented in this final town will be for the better.

Seems odd that the producers and directors would be asking people to comment for the camera....wouldn't there be some kind of assistant available for that?

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#13re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 3:15am

Yeah, I saw those cameras, I was wondering what they were for. I just walked past them. I was assuming they were doing some kind of commercial or advertisement or something. But comments, hmmm... a little strange but ohk.

~Steven

Princeton78
#14re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 1:36pm

There is a nice...and very interesting article about the D'Amboise/Applegate thing in today's Boston Globe..i'll have to look for the link.

Iris Chacon
#15re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 1:47pm

Thanks for the review Princeton. I do hope they finish straightening things out before NY. It is a shame about the two girls. They are great roles. One of them which got Bebe Newirth her first Tony. I would love to see Charlotte. I am a big fan. But Christina is a sweetheart so I am rooting for her return.

Kiss it baby. Kiss it now!
Updated On: 3/19/05 at 01:47 PM

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#17re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 3:49pm

O, that's such a great article. Yay for everyone and yay for Charlotte. It must have been so stressful, but she has done a fantastic job.

~Steven

Thesbijean
#18re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 3:52pm

Well, as long as it opens on time, it will be nominated for a Tony...

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#19re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 4:01pm

O it most definitely will, I can't imagine why it wouldn't be nominated.

~Steven

hedwig14 Profile Photo
hedwig14
#20re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 5:33pm

Thanks for the review. So glad to hear that Charlotte was well received. I think she is awesome!

Princeton78
#21re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 5:42pm

I really hope Charlotte shines in this role....she'll be another Shirly MacLaine...(Sp?)

timote316
#22re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/19/05 at 10:04pm

I too saw went Friday night. Hm, where to begin...

Charlotte was great. I knew she would be, given the glowing reviews by some here at BWW (munk), and she didn't disappoint. I found her singing to be a bit on the weak side, but overall did a great job (her dancing definately made up for it). I do agree with your takes on the other actors & actresses. Denis O'Hare was excellent (was he in it enough for a Featured Actor nom?), and Jane & Kyra were ok (which is ok, considering it was their first performance). I do have to disagree about Applegate not being able to handle it. There were several times throughout the show that I thought "wow, Christina would be great at that".

I need to comment about the choreography. I have to say I enjoyed it. Those dancers worked their butts off, especially during "Rich Man's Frug". I was actually disappointed the number had to end.

One thing I have to say was that the ending definately left me feeling somewhat empty. Some shows make you feel good, others bad (not BAD so-to-speak, but like in Fiddler). This one was in the middle. I would have loved something more, but I don't know what.

Oh, and Steven, were you by any chance sitting along the side wall, seats in the 20s? I was in Mezz Row B, seat 22, and there were very knowledgable people behind me re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!

Princeton78
#23re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/20/05 at 12:12am

Hey there....
So about these rush seats....are they students only?

timote316
#24re: Princeton @ SWEET CHARITY-CHARLOTTE'S FIRST SHOW!
Posted: 3/20/05 at 12:17am

Yeah, Broadway in Boston only allows one ticket per ID. Check out the site for details, http://broadwayinboston.com/studentrush.html

Videos