TONYS Aren't Everything

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#0TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:03pm

why is everyone saying TONY! TONY! TONY! as artists we do not perform for tony awards. as phylicia rashad said, they are nice and wonderful to have but when it(entertainment) becomes about winning awards it becomes something else. that something else she had enough class as an AKA woman to say. but this AKA woman does not. IT BECOMES A PIECE OF CRAP. so everybody jus stop screaming TONY! just because something wins a tony doesnt mean its good.

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

#1re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:05pm

Rashad is the most pompous, self-absorbed person on the planet...anything she says about entertainment not being about winning awards is utter crap
Updated On: 3/30/05 at 06:05 PM

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#2re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:05pm

I believe the "it" she was refering to was not entertainment, but ART.

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.
Updated On: 3/30/05 at 06:05 PM

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#3re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:06pm

marilyn- Are you serious? How do you know? She didn't give me that vibe at all.

Updated On: 3/30/05 at 06:06 PM

#4re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:07pm

I have my sources...and I just don't like her that much, anyways!

Gothampc
#5re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:09pm

AKA woman? Also Known As? Little help here?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 3/30/05 at 06:09 PM

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#6re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:09pm

Yeah i was thinking the same thing. What does that mean?

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#7re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:10pm

It's great to award great work, and it feels great to win things, but I feel like they can be a bit distracting at times. I'm referring to awards of any kind, not just Tonys.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

Joshua488
#8re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:10pm

Whatever, Tonya. We constantly discuss Tonys because competition is fun. I don't think anyone here actually lives by the Tonys.

And I totally get the pompous vibe from Phylicia Rashad. She always seems so phony and scripted, especially her Tony speech. I was so turned off by her. But she is definitely a talented woman. I don't have anything to backup my claim; it is just my personal opinion from what I've seen of her and heard from her.

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#9re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:13pm

*see signature for Gypsy's opinion*

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#10re: TONYS Aren't Everything

wow, I can't believe that, I get the total opposite! Not that either opinion is right, I just find that interesting.

ashley0139
#11re: TONYS Aren't Everything

Way off topic, but did anyone ever notice that TONY spells To New York. ? I've always thought it was interesting.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

#12re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:14pm

Her speech was a load of crap

Joshua488
#13re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:15pm

LMAO

I agree, Marilyn.

I was watching with my mom and mid-way through her scripted and rehearsed acceptance speech, we simultaneously gave each other this look that said, "What the &*$% is this?" I found it to be so phony. But whatever... she can do what she wants. She's Phylicia Rashad! Updated On: 3/30/05 at 06:15 PM

TonyaFanatic
#14re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:28pm

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. is the first Sorority created and by black women on the campus of Howard University in 1908. Ms. Rashad is a soror. she pledged at her college Howard University. If you havent guessed im also a soror and an actress. i look up to her and respect everything she stands for. she is an incredible actress, teacher, and person. she talks the way she does all the time, not just on tv.

Updated On: 3/30/05 at 06:28 PM

Joshua488
#15re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:32pm

Well, then she's a hardcore phony if she keeps that humble act going 24/7.

RadioTV2 Profile Photo
RadioTV2
#16re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:36pm

"TONYS Aren't Everything"

Yes they are. :)

Check out the Tony Awards Haven! www.tonyawardshaven.com

TonyaFanatic
#17re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:39pm

why because she's a humble person does she have to be a phony?
haters man

#18re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:39pm

Tonys are everything to Rashad because you know she'll eventually have to sell her award for food when she can't get work...

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#19re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:42pm

I hate when people accept awards by saying it's not about the award.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

#20re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:43pm

me too! Lets get MARRIED!

TonyaFanatic
#21re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:44pm

and who r your sources marilyn? i bet uve never even met the woman. i swear some people on this board hate to see a black woman on the top her game.

#22re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:46pm

oh shut up already

TonyaFanatic
#23re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:47pm

oh thats what i thought

Drew7810 Profile Photo
Drew7810
#24re: TONYS Aren't Everything
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:48pm

TONYs are something. To be acknowledged by your peers for doing something you love is an honor. Should we, as theatre artists, make our goal throughout our individual careers to win the TONY? No, not neccessarily, but one should strive to have their art be in the league of such greats also honored by those distinguished awards, like Jefferson Mays, Elaine Stritch, Lillias White, or even fellow Denison Univeristy alum, Hal Holbrook.

The Tony Award does not define the value or worth of a piece of art in theatre, but it celebrates it. And why not want to be apart of that celebration that we all love so much.

And Rashad, though possibly a bitch, is a damn fine actress whose Tony was well-deserved.

Videos