Dame Edna closing

MargoChanning
#0Dame Edna closing
Posted: 4/14/05 at 9:40pm

From Variety:

"NEW YORK -- Maybe once was enough.
Barry Humphries will pack up his gladiolas and close "Dame Edna: Back With a Vengeance" May 1.

The show marks the performer's sophomore effort on Broadway. "Dame Edna: The Royal Tour" opened in fall 1999 and ran 297 performances. "Vengeance" will have clocked in at 180.

"Back With a Vengeance" opened well at the Music Box Theater, grossing nearly $350,000 for most weeks in November and December 2004. Weekly receipts started to fall below $200,000 in March, however, and last week, the show grossed $154,329, playing to only 38.2% capacity.

Performing at the smaller Booth Theater, "Royal Tour" consistently grossed $200,000-$300,000.
Date in print: Thurs., Apr. 14, 2005, Los Angeles"

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#1re: Dame Edna closing
Posted: 4/14/05 at 9:41pm

THE TIMING
SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS.
You have no idea how upset I am about this.
Sad.
;-( Updated On: 4/14/05 at 09:41 PM

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#2re: Dame Edna closing
Posted: 4/14/05 at 9:44pm

I loved this show. At least I'll get to see it once more before it closes.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#3re: Dame Edna closing
Posted: 4/14/05 at 9:46pm

Well,
You can always wave gladiola's in your apt.
POSSUM.

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#4re: Dame Edna closing
Posted: 4/14/05 at 9:48pm

it is sad. I loved this show and i was dissapointing to see that when i saw it, the theater was half empty.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

iluvtheatertrash
#5re: Dame Edna closing
Posted: 4/15/05 at 3:30pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Where am I going to get my fill of Gerrard Carter now?!?!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#6re: Dame Edna closing
Posted: 4/15/05 at 3:36pm

Oh how sad! I hope they can muster up a tour. Jarico's always wanted to see Dame Edna. I took my parents (who knew nothing about Dame Edna) to The Royal Tour and they LOVED IT. My dad still talks about it to this day. He cracks up every time he thinks about Dame Edna referring to the people in the balcony seats as "Les Miserables" and "signing" her dialogue to them.

I love when she "accidentally" insults someone and when the audience laughs, she yells, "No! No!" as if she was somehow misunderstood. I have Dame Edna's Neighborhood Watch on DVD. Great stuff!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

MTRBOI24
#7re: Dame Edna closing
Posted: 4/15/05 at 3:52pm

This show IS touring. So, who knows. Maybe you can see Gerrard in another city. I know this will be in Buffalo and Rochester. Im sure there is somewhere you can find a tour schedule.

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#8re: Dame Edna closing
Posted: 4/15/05 at 3:54pm

It's sad when any show closes. re: Dame Edna closing

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#9re: Dame Edna closing
Posted: 4/15/05 at 3:54pm

I went twice.

Adoannie925 Profile Photo
Adoannie925
#10re: Dame Edna closing
Posted: 4/15/05 at 4:29pm

Awww. I loved the show and was hoping to see it once more. Oh well...all good things must come to an end. re: Dame Edna closing

MTRBOI24
#11re: Dame Edna closing
Posted: 4/15/05 at 4:43pm

You can see it, find out where it is touring too.

Videos