Today's Birthdays 5/12

do_re_milla Profile Photo
do_re_milla
#0Today's Birthdays 5/12
Posted: 5/11/05 at 7:45pm

Florence Nightengale 5/12/1820 - 8/13/1910 English nurse; reformed nursing profession and medical care for soldiers

Jules Massenet 5/12/1842 - 8/13/1912 French composer; best remembered for his operas; my fav Cendrillon (w/Fredrica Von Stade); I'll never forget Carol Neblett's bare-breasted 1976 Balto Opera Co. Thais (she accidentaly/on purpose allowed her bodice to fall, ala the orig Thais [Massenet's mistress]. The Co's reigning diva, Rosa Ponselle was displeased, to put it mildly!)

Gabriel Fauré 05/12/1845 - 11/4/1924 composer - my fav GF songs: En Priere(In Prayer), Au bord de l’eau, Le Roses D'Ispahan, Les Berceaux, Notre Amour, Prison, Apres un rive

Al Shean 05/12/1868 - Aug 12, 1949 performer; uncle of Groucho, Chico, Zeppo & Harpo Marx; 1/2 of the team Gallagher & Shean - Ziegfeld Follies of 1922; orig Music in the Air; Popsy (Joyce Van Patten); Doctor Social (Dean Jagger, Mae Questel)

Katharine Hepburn 05/12/1907 - Jun 29, 2003 performer; aunt of Katharine Houghton, partner of Spencer Tracy (1940 - 1967) his death, wife of Ludlow Ogden Smith (1928 - 1934) divorced - The Philadelphia Story; The Millionairess (Cyril Ritchard); Coco (Graciela Daniele); A Matter of Gravity (Christopher Reeve); The West Side Waltz (Dorothy Loudon); film's Academy Award-winning Actress: Morning Glory [1932-33], Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner [1967], The Lion in Winter [1968], On Golden Pond [1981]; Adam’s Rib, Pat and Mike, The African Queen, The Rainmaker, Rooster Cogburn, Suddenly Last Summer, Mary of Scotland, Love Affair

Gordon Jenkins 05/12/1910 - 5/1/1984 Lyricist, Arranger, Composer, Musical Director, Orchestrator, Conductor - The Show is On; Along Fifth Avenue; Judy Garland; Peg (Peggy Lee)

John Simon 5/12/1925 born in the former Yugoslavia and was educated in Yugoslavia, England, and America. Dr. Simon holds a B.A. in English and an M.A. and Ph.D. in Comparative Literature from Harvard University. He has taught at Harvard, M.I.T., the University of Washington, and Bard College. He has been a drama or film critic for several publications and until May 9, 2005 was a theater critic for New York Magazine beginning in 1968. Husband of Patricia Hoag-Simon.

Burt Bacharach 5/12/1928 Composer; husband of Paula Stewart (? - ?) divorced; Carole Bayer Sager (? - ?) divorced; Angie Dickinson (1966 - 1980) divorced - The Look of Love; Oscar-winning composer [w/ Hal David]: Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head [1969]; Tony award for score for Promises, Promises; Oscar-winning team w/wife, Carol Bayer Sager: Arthur’s Theme [1981]

Lindsay Crouse 05/12/1948 performer - daughter of Russel Crouse, named after Howard Lindsay (her father's writing partner), wife of David Mamet (divorced) - 1972 Much Ado About Nothing (Sam Waterston, Kathleen Widdoes, Glen Walken [Chris' brother]); 1991 The Home Coming; film's The Juror, The Arrival, Desperate Hours, Places in the Heart, The Verdict, Slap Shot, House of Games, Eleanor & Franklin, All the President’s Men, Traps

Bruce Boxleitner 05/12/1950 - Status Quo Vadis (Ted Danson); tv's & film's Scarecrow and Mrs. King, The Babe; The Last Convertible

Gabriel Byrne 05/12/1950 performer, husband of Ellen Barkin (1988 - 1993) divorced - 2005 A Touch of the Poet; 2000 A Moon for the Misbegotten (Cherry Jones)

Philip Hoffman 05/12/1954 performer - origs The Moony Shapiro Songbook; Is there life after high school?; Baby; Into the Woods; Falsettos; The Scarlet Pimpernel; 2004 Fiddler on the Roof

Ving Rhames 05/12/1959 performer - The Boys of Winter; tv's & film's Kojak; Another World; Pulp Fiction; Mission: Impossible I, II & III

SHOWS THAT OPENED ON THIS DATE:

1906 Gerald Du Maurier begins a signature performance as Raffles, the Amateur Cracksman. The story of the gentleman thief turned into a play by author E.W. Hornung and Eugene Presbrey will run 351 performances at London's Comedy Theatre.

1930 The New Yorker Theatre on West 54th Street in New York opens with a production of Ibsen's The Vikings. Later it will become Studio 54 which, in 1999, will become home to the revival of Cabaret.

1981 Lena Horne: "The Lady and Her Music"

1988 Stephen King's novel gets turned into a musical as Carrie opens on Broadway tonight at the Virginia Theatre. The Michael Gore-Dean Pitchford show stars Betty Buckley, Charlotte d'Amboise and Linzi Hateley as blood-doused Carrie.

1999 The wedded Eli Wallach and Anne Jackson, who've appeared in dozens of plays together, return to Off-Broadway and star in Tennessee Williams Remembered, featuring their own reminiscences of the playwright and scenes from the late dramatist's works. Wallach, who won a Tony for his role in the original production of The Rose Tattoo, made his stage debut and met Jackson in an Off-Broadway production of Williams' This Property Is Condemned.

ON THIS DAY IN:

1905 Theatrical producer Sam Shubert died today in New York. His brothers Lee and J.J. will honor him by naming many of the theaters they are to build after him. He was 35 years old.

1932 The body of the kidnapped son of Charles and Anne Lindbergh was found in a wooded area of Hopewell, N.J.

On May 12, 1943, during World War II, Axis forces in North Africa surrendered.

(sources: IBDB, NYT's ON THIS DAY, 440.com’s Those Were The Days, Playbill.com)

Milla
Updated On: 5/12/05 at 07:45 PM

InfiniteGirl Profile Photo
InfiniteGirl
#1re: Today's Birthdays 5/12
Posted: 5/11/05 at 8:18pm

It's sad that John Simon got fired right before his birthday.

RustyJusty830 Profile Photo
RustyJusty830
#2re: Today's Birthdays 5/12
Posted: 5/11/05 at 8:52pm

5/12 is my boyfriend's birthday- He's an aspiring director in the Theatre Production department at the Professional Performing Arts School(where I major in musical theatre!)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEPHEN!

"I need to know that someone out there cares...Are you there?"

OnTheAisle Profile Photo
OnTheAisle
#3re: Today's Birthdays 5/12
Posted: 5/11/05 at 9:25pm

k - it seems to me that we have two years starting today to plan for the centennial of Katharine Hepburn's birth - there best big a big splashy to-do about this!

"Not a day goes by..."

musical medea Profile Photo
musical medea
#4re: Today's Birthdays 5/12
Posted: 5/12/05 at 10:03am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO
ME-EE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!!!! sorry, but im all excited and i get to celebrate my birthday at rehearsal for a production of How To Succeed In Business!!! (i'm Miss Jones) then the celebration really starts tomorrow at Bradley's Downtown West Palm Beach til they kick us out!!!! only one more year til i can rent a car!!!! :)

do_re_milla Profile Photo
do_re_milla
#5re: Today's Birthdays 5/12
Posted: 5/12/05 at 2:47pm

bump

Videos