Lion King Question

erniesgirl96
#0Lion King Question
Posted: 6/25/05 at 8:43pm

I have a friend who works at a Broadway theater, and she heard that the Lion King might be mnoving to another theater so the New Amsterdam can be the new home of Mary Poppins when it comes in next year. Has anyone heard anything about this? I would think it would be very difficult to move that whole show to another theater.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#1re: Lion King Question
Posted: 6/25/05 at 9:00pm

plus it would be very expensive to build a new set.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

loganp37 Profile Photo
loganp37
#2re: Lion King Question
Posted: 6/25/05 at 9:44pm

Would they need to build a new set?

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#3re: Lion King Question
Posted: 6/25/05 at 9:54pm

or use a tour set. It's an equity rule that they must use a new set if they move theatres. Like Beauty and Beast uses the 1st national tour set when they moved to the Lunt.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

loganp37 Profile Photo
loganp37
#4re: Lion King Question
Posted: 6/25/05 at 10:00pm

That is really surprizing. This may be a dumb question, but why is that an Equity rule?

MTRBOI24
#5re: Lion King Question
Posted: 6/25/05 at 10:05pm

I heard of this. You know there is an extra set touring..... It goes from city to city. When the gazelle tour was in Buffalo the set when the buffalo engagement ended went to the theatre where the cheetah tour was going to play next in two weeks. and so on....does that make any sense?

#6re: Lion King Question
Posted: 6/25/05 at 10:09pm

Why would they move it out of the New Amsterdam when they are running at 101% Capacity every week? Do they think Mary Poppins could run at 120% or something? This has to be one of those wacky Broadway rumors.

MTRBOI24
#7re: Lion King Question
Posted: 6/26/05 at 1:34am

they aren't closing the show....they are just moving it to another theatre(at least thats the rumour).

FosseBoi
#8re: Lion King Question
Posted: 6/26/05 at 1:39am

That is one of the CRAZYEST things I have ever heard! I HIGHLY doubt that POPPINS would sell more tickets at every show than LION KING! Plus, that theatre is PERFECT,imo, for that show!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

apdarcey
#9re: Lion King Question
Posted: 6/26/05 at 1:40am

i think poppins would have been great for the marquis... much better than woman in white.

MTRBOI24
#10re: Lion King Question
Posted: 6/26/05 at 1:57am

Disney can't put their show in ANY theatre....they can only put them in certain theatres, I think (I remember someone saying something like this)

st8gemom
#11re: Lion King Question
Posted: 6/26/05 at 6:06pm

I heard that Lion King would like to move across the street to the Hilton Theatre, which is the largest (or close to it) seating capacity on Broadway. That's not good news for CCBB....which is a show I loved, btw.
Updated On: 6/26/05 at 06:06 PM

RentBoy86
#12re: Lion King Question
Posted: 6/26/05 at 6:14pm

Yeah I think Mary Poppins or Lion King should go to the Hilton. It needs a big show like that. Also, no one ever cleared up why that is a rule? What's the point of having to build a new set? sounds like a rule that's just a pain in the a$$

Swiftynifty15
#13re: Lion King Question
Posted: 6/26/05 at 11:10pm

Why is that a rule? What other kinds of rules do they have?
Updated On: 6/26/05 at 11:10 PM

Swiftynifty15
#14re: Lion King Question
Posted: 6/26/05 at 11:22pm

?

Videos