pixeltracker

Useless info I thought I'd share...

Useless info I thought I'd share...

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#0Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 12:46am

So, after listening to The LAst five years for the millionth time, I began to hear that almost every song in the show repeats a melody within the other songs...
I don't know if I'm making sense, but I started writing things down...
Like Shiksa Goddess has elements of "Summers in Ohio", etc., not to mention the obvious ones like "See, I'm Smiling" has "We Can do Better" or "If I Didn't Believe in You" has "Still Hurting",
And then there's "Moving Too Fast" which has "Still Hurting" as well...
Anyone else notice this? (I'm sure you do, as I'm a little late in picking this up...probably because I kept skipping Norbert's songs for the first thousand earplay's.)

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#1re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 12:47am

Ahh thats one of my favorite things about...

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#2re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 12:52am

Am I the only one here who hasn't been able to get through one full listen of L5Y?

musicnmath
#3re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 12:52am

why did you skip Norbert's songs? Even pre-Norbertmania, I loved the feeling and delivery of Jaime's songs. I find myself skipping Sherie's more often. I think I enjoy her more live than on a recording. That's neither here nor there.

I saw a so-so production of this show. I really would like to see a good one.

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#4re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 12:56am

Some of my now favorite CDS ever, I got bored listening to the 1st time 'round...

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#5re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 1:01am

Music...
Even though I could relate to both characters (I have experienced both sides), I felt Sherie's pain more. Honestly, it took me awhile, listening to the whole thing to feel any kind of emotion for Jaimie...One day, as I was really listening to his words (especially towards the end), the realization hit me that he's an a$$hole, and since then I began to appreciate his songs more..probably because I finally got his depth.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#6re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 1:26am

Well, I noticed dead off that Goodbye Until Tomorrow/I Could Never Rescue You has Still Hurting in it.

Like I said to Blu in the Greg Jbara thread.

This CD is like air to me. I can not live without it.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#7re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 1:34am

Agreed...
How many people's lives has this show mirrored?

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#8re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 1:48am

My life mirrors this show in many aspects! Except, I'm not really annoying like Cathy's character, lol. More like, guy loves girl, girl loves guy, they fight, never tell people how they feel, it's over. re: Useless info I thought I'd share.... So many true emotions in this show.

toodramatic
#9re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 1:54am

I think its one of the most complete shows I've ever heard. Its like everything u wanted JRB to get to he got to. Ive listened to it a thousand times and each new time I still find something new to connetect too.

I dont know if that makes sense, but you know what I mean.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#10re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 1:55am

See, now, I don't find Cathy annoying. I find Jaimie to be arrogant and self-centered. It's funny how people feel different for these characters

Nath
#11re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 2:35am

wasn't this show a touch of Art imitating life....

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#12re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 2:37am

Well, it was based on Jason himself...So, technically, yeah...

Nath
#13re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 2:51am

didn't it create a stir with his ex wife? the way she was betrayed?

wonderland
#14re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 3:45am

Last 5 is one of my favorite musicals to hear on CD and one of my least favorites to see on stage, mainly because no director has figured out how to stage it right yet.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#15re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 4:47am

Yeah, lol, I'm pretty sure she sued him? Correct me if I'm wrong. If she did, well, it's as much his story as it his hers so she has no right to sue, lol. But yeah, I found Cathy annoying and I didn't find Jamie self-centered. It's so funny how we all have such different interpretations on the characters. I'd love to just sit down with JRB for hours and talk with him about it. That'd make my life complete.

wonderland
#16re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 4:53am

There was no lawsuit, but one was threatened if changes weren't made, IIRC.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#17re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 5:04am

That's so stupid, lol. Sorry, but IIRC stands for...? lol.

wonderland
#18re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 5:05am

If I recall correctly. My fault... I hate people who speak in Internet "code" and I've become one. :)

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#19re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/7/05 at 5:09am

lol no problem. The more I listen to this show the more I love it. I feel bad for my parents, it's now the only thing I will listen to in the car. lol.

#20re: Useless info I thought I'd share...
Posted: 7/8/05 at 12:46am

Yah, we have different interps on the characters, but i'd say it also depends on which production you see. I didn't catch the original (dammit!) but in the other productions I've seen, it depends on whether Jamie or Cathy is a better actor. From just the CD I sided with Cathy. Then saw a production where Jamie was so good, he made you feel real sympathy for him and you sided with him because you feel like Cathy drove him to it.

What were people's thoughts who saw the original?
[I'd still love to see a reunion concert of this...]

Videos