Forester
#0Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/10/05 at 1:11pm

list them here folks.
Updated On: 7/10/05 at 01:11 PM

Jon
#1re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/10/05 at 2:32pm

Do you mean plotline cliches, staging cliches,or actual musical composition cliches?

One that falls into both of the last two categories is at the pak of a production number, when the tempo pulls way back, and the chorus breaks into a kickline.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#2re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/10/05 at 2:36pm

I love the cliche of characters talking - and then just starting to sing....

Oh, wait...

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Cruel_Sandwich
#3re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/10/05 at 2:36pm

As soon as a song is over, everyone resumes their lives as if nothing had happened. (This is funnier in movies because they don't have to stop for applause)

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#4re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/10/05 at 2:38pm

Not sure if this is cliche, but I love the fact that people can just fall in love in musicals after singing one song.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

joeybiltmore1
#5re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/10/05 at 5:48pm

My favorite show cliches are trenches. OK, so they're a choreographic cliche, but what the heck. It's this simple running/arm swinging thing, but audiences always go nuts for it.

My other favorite cliches are song cues. Awkward lines that are usually said as the intro is fading and the actor is about to take a breath and sing the first line.

Nath
#6re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/10/05 at 7:52pm

someone always walks across the stage pushing a clothes/costume rack... lol

One Song Glory
#7re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/10/05 at 8:00pm

A tango song. There are so many musicals with tangoes in them.

I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.

BabyJohn Profile Photo
BabyJohn
#8re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/10/05 at 11:10pm

Don't get mad...THE SONG THAT GOES LIKE THIS.

KRISTEN CHENOWETH To show my gratitude, I'll offer you this pointy black hat, which is just like the one Original Wicked Witch Margaret Hamilton wore in the movie! IDINA MENZEL What a great idea! How about throughout the play, you continue to offer me things like a black cloak, or a black cape, or a broom to make me look more and more like Margaret Hamilton did! These attempts at humor will be painfully predictable from a mile away! AUDIENCE collectively groans.

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#9re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/10/05 at 11:15pm

My favorite musical cliche crosses over from movies to the stage.

The entire reason for the plot/show is "miscommunication" between the characters.

Examples:
I thought you meant, I misunderstood the message/cablegram/card, I heard from Nancy that you said such and such so I assumed, and so on.

The entire plot is based about the miscommunication issue and if the characters had just talked to each other, there would be no "reason" for the problem.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

Urban
#10re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/10/05 at 11:51pm

My favorite cliché is actresses always seem to reach that impossible high note just before they cark it.

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#11re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/11/05 at 12:15am

If there's a nightclub scene, you can guarantee a big chorus song and number in that scene.

Boy meets girl in the beginning of Act I. Boy loses girl at the end of Act I. Boy gets girl back before the final curtain.

The lovesick, insecure male is ALWAYS a tenor!

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

BreakingTheCircle07 Profile Photo
BreakingTheCircle07
#12re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/11/05 at 12:20am

When HUGE chorus numbers come out of nowhere and take your breath away.
ie:
This is the Hour ~MS

When a song ends on "oooos" or "ahhhs" instead of words and it sends shivers up & down your arms.

ie:
The Producers
Les Miserables

Variations on a Theme blog: http://panekattack.blogspot.com/

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#13re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/11/05 at 12:27am

From Urinetown:

"Sometimes, in a musical, it's better to focus on one big thing rather than a lot of little things. The audience tends to be much happier that way. And it's easier to write."

"He's the hero of the show, she has to love him"

"The information must be oozed out slowly, until it bursts forth in one mighty cathartic moment! Somewhere in Act Two. With everybidy singing, and things like that."

"It's the Act One Finale...It's a big song-and-dance number involving the entire cast."

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#14re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/11/05 at 12:35am

I call this cliche "Jerry Herman Syndrome": A huge production number involving the arrival of a leading character into a show or to a familiar haunt (See HELLO, DOLLY!, MAME, MACK AND MABEL). "Here I Am" from DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, "Sid Ol' Kid" from TAKE ME ALONG and "Gee, But It's Good to Be Here" from HAPPY HUNTING are other examples.

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#15re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/11/05 at 7:15am

In a rousing, super-major chord chorus number, I love seeing cast members give little shoulder jerks/vamps, in conjunction with what I like to call 'Fame eyes' (the eyes that you'd do if you're singing "I'm alive...and I will survive" from 'Hard Work' in Fame The Musical

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#16re: Your favorite Musical cliches.
Posted: 7/11/05 at 12:59pm

In an ALW show all the msuic is the same.....Whoops did i say that out loud!

Videos