High Tenor songs....? Help!!

arky
#0High Tenor songs....? Help!!
Posted: 7/16/05 at 6:30pm

Does anyone know a really good tenor song, anything up to a top c, i've been told i have quite a 'disney' sounding voice and also have been old i sound a little like Gavin Creel. Any suggestions would be most welcome. It just needs to sound impressive. Thanx xx xx xx

Broadwaygirl22 Profile Photo
Broadwaygirl22
#1re: High Tenor songs....? Help!!
Posted: 7/16/05 at 6:35pm

Maybe "Go the Distance" from the disney movie Hercules. Roger Bart sings that and he's a tenor. Or maybe "You Have It All" from King David. Another Roger Bart song but it's sung really well. Who's Gavin Creel?

"The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation."

arky
#2re: High Tenor songs....? Help!!
Posted: 7/16/05 at 6:42pm

Thanx! Gavin Creel played Jimmy Smith in the original broadway production of 'Thorouhgly Modern Millie', he also sings 'Talent' in 'Bounce' the stephen sondheim Musical although i have forgotten his character name. He was features on the 'fine and Dandy' revival recording. He has one of those voices that sounds high whenhes only singing f's and g's but he can keep going! He has a very adaptable voice but does suit the jazzy music of 'T.M.M'. Thanx for your help, i do quite like hercules so i might give it a go!

Blair
#3re: High Tenor songs....? Help!!
Posted: 7/16/05 at 6:52pm

How about "Lost in the Wilderness" from Children of Eden? On the cast recording, Darius de Haas sings it in a higher key than is written in the score, but you could always transpose. I might be totally wrong, but I think he riffs up to a C.

BabyJohn Profile Photo
BabyJohn
#4re: High Tenor songs....? Help!!
Posted: 7/16/05 at 7:00pm

Are you looking for a more classical piece or a theater piece?

KRISTEN CHENOWETH To show my gratitude, I'll offer you this pointy black hat, which is just like the one Original Wicked Witch Margaret Hamilton wore in the movie! IDINA MENZEL What a great idea! How about throughout the play, you continue to offer me things like a black cloak, or a black cape, or a broom to make me look more and more like Margaret Hamilton did! These attempts at humor will be painfully predictable from a mile away! AUDIENCE collectively groans.

roquat
#5re: High Tenor songs....? Help!!
Posted: 7/16/05 at 10:39pm

Pretty much any of the tenor songs from "Songs for a New World", although most of them go into falsetto, and they're also starting to get overused, but not a lot of people can sing them ("King of the World", "Steam Train", "Flying Home"). There are a couple of songs from Disney's "Hunchback" that rocket up to high C and possibly beyond ("The Bells of Notre Dame" and "Out There", definitely). "Love Can't Happen Quite so Quickly" from "Grand Hotel"--it isn't done so much anymore, and he hits a High B and holds it at the very end ("And I know!")

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#6re: High Tenor songs....? Help!!
Posted: 7/16/05 at 10:40pm

tick..tick..BOOM has some good stuff.

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

apdarcey
#7re: High Tenor songs....? Help!!
Posted: 7/16/05 at 11:14pm

songs for a new world are high tenor songs... king of the world, flying home, spanish sailing ship, steam train... those are the tenor songs.

arky
#8re: High Tenor songs....? Help!!
Posted: 7/24/05 at 9:40pm

thanx all, just bought 'songs for a new world' score. WOW! i'm learning 'king of the world'the top c can be belted so it sounds impressive. Thanx

RentBoy86
#9re: High Tenor songs....? Help!!
Posted: 7/24/05 at 10:10pm

"Pity the Child" from Chess and "What is it About Her?" from Andrew Lippa's Wild Party. hits an Ab. I did "What is it about her?" for a voice class and people were really impressed. its a very strong song.

Videos