Audition Songs

lilkoz
#0Audition Songs
Posted: 7/20/05 at 8:44pm

Just a quick question. If you are auditioning for a musical is it considered smart to sing a song from that musical or to pick something from another, or does your audition song have to be from a musical?

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#1re: Audition Songs
Posted: 7/20/05 at 8:47pm

Yes, it'd be very good to have the repetoire from musical theatre. Don't go and sing "Amazing Grace" or something.

As for singing a song from the actual musical, this has been debated, but it's usually been so that you SHOULDN'T sing it from the musical, unless specifically instructed to.

This is my signature.

Kelliexo90 Profile Photo
Kelliexo90
#2re: Audition Songs
Posted: 7/20/05 at 9:14pm

Ever see the Laguna Beach episode where Christina sings a Mandy Moore song auditioning for Wicked? Yeah, don't do that.

What is Broadway? A street? Some say it's a street. Some say it is the best street in the world. Others think its terrible. That's the beauty of it, it's terribly beautiful. Some hate it and don't know why. Others love it and don't know why. That's what makes it so wonderful, it's a mystery.

ChrisHerz Profile Photo
ChrisHerz
#3re: Audition Songs
Posted: 7/20/05 at 9:23pm

Agreed... generally, if there's something you REALLY want the creative team to hear you sing from the show, the best option is to walk into the room and say "would you like me to sing from the show, or would you like to hear..." and then have your musical theatre songs prepared. Important point: don't get your heart set on singing from the show.
Updated On: 7/20/05 at 09:23 PM

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#4re: Audition Songs
Posted: 7/20/05 at 10:02pm

I agree with the other two. Definitely sing something from a musical, but sometimes they will ask for a rock song also (maybe auditions for Tommy or Hair.) Unless assigned to, do NOT sing a song from the show that you're auditioning for. If you do that, you are a) looking like you have limited knowledge of theatr b)forcing yourself in that role when you might be better in another - it shows lack of versatility. Let's say you Carrie in Carousel, but you might make a better Julie. That way the auditioner can ONLY see you as the forced Carrie.

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

lilkoz
#5re: Audition Songs
Posted: 7/22/05 at 10:45pm

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Videos