Putting it Together

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#0Putting it Together
Posted: 7/24/05 at 2:35pm

So I popped in Putting It Together in the DVD player last night since I haven't watched it in a while, and was again blown away by it, especially Ruthie Henshall and John Barrowman. Both have such incredible voices, and their duet on Unworthy of Your Love (despite the incredibly lamely forced but I guess ultimately necessary "darling, darling") is like - well, like Buddy Fisher says in City of Angels - like your ears getting laid. And Ruthie - wow is she gorgeous. Not to detract from the other three performers who are all great, but the highlights for me are clearly Ruthie and John.
Why didn't they release this on CD? It's different enough from the Julie Andrews version - different songs, different "plot" as it were. I'm glad they put out the DVD, but I watch that WAY less than I would listen to the CD! Does anyone have the ability to make a transfer from DVD to CD who's done this that I could get a copy of it? I wouldn't think that would be considered illegal since I have the DVD, and the music is not available anyway (and if I had the ability, I'd do it myself...)

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#1re: Putting it Together
Posted: 7/24/05 at 3:36pm

Sorry jasonf, I don't know about DVD to CD transfer. I've often wondered about it myself. I would love to put the music from 'A Mighty Wind' into my computer/ipod from my DVD if possible.

Loved PUTTING IT TOGETHER live. The night I saw it John Barrowman sneezed and then Ruthie imitated his sneeze causing Carol to almost fall to the floor with laughter. Good thing it was near the end of the show because the entire cast never really gained composure. It was such fun I hoped it would be included in the DVD.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

Flight0017 Profile Photo
Flight0017
#2re: Putting it Together
Posted: 7/24/05 at 3:40pm

You just use DVD audio ripping software, like e.g. "DVD Audio Ripper" from Xilisoft. There's nothing to it, and it's not illegal. Good luck!

"Curse you, Lady Glyde!"

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#3re: Putting it Together
Posted: 7/24/05 at 3:42pm

I prefer the original cast album, with Julie Andrews, Michael Rupert and Rachel York. John Barrowman does nothing for me.

Flight0017 Profile Photo
Flight0017
#4re: Putting it Together
Posted: 7/24/05 at 3:46pm

I agree with you, LucilleAndLeoFrank. Rachel and Julie are sensational on that recording. I've driven many a mile in my car listening to that recording re: Putting it Together

"Curse you, Lady Glyde!"

pattifan2
#5re: Putting it Together
Posted: 7/24/05 at 5:00pm

I have never seen the Bway recording the whole way through. A friend has this on video and is there an out-take where Carol loses her skirt??? I saw Julia McKenzie's original concept of this show in Oxford some ^^£$* years ago. Diana Rigg was fantastic. She fluffed 'Getting Married Today' and stopped the show by saying 'I'm sorry Ladies and Gentlemen, but this is VERY difficult.' Then proceeded with the number and brought the house down. It was just wonderful.

...fragment of the day...

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#6re: Putting it Together
Posted: 7/24/05 at 6:37pm

I got to see it live (ironically, I saw it the same day I saw Kiss Me Kate - one of the only other shows preserved on DVD like this -- well, ever) and LOVED it, though Bronson Pinchot was out that day.

Anyway, yes, there is a blooper of Carol losing her skirt, but to be honest, John Barrowman's reaction to it is what makes it so funny.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#7re: Putting it Together
Posted: 7/24/05 at 6:39pm

Oops - should have included this in the last post -- Flight0017 - can you buy that software at BestBuy? Download it?

jam_man
#8re: Putting it Together
Posted: 7/24/05 at 6:44pm

It was on HBO or Cinemax a while and I watched it and thought it was great, but is it a common British singing style to never open your mouth and only smile while singing anything, or is Ruthie just weird?

BYW, Julie's "Could I Leave You?" on the CD is my favorite recording of that song!

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

Flight0017 Profile Photo
Flight0017
#9re: Putting it Together
Posted: 7/25/05 at 5:01am

jasonf: You can download it. You can try before you buy, but with the trial version I think you can only rip one minute per track, but it gives you an impression of what you're capable to do with the software.

I'm attaching the link to the only DVD audio ripper I've tried, but I'm sure there are others available out there too.
http://www.xilisoft.com/dvd-audio-ripper.html

"Curse you, Lady Glyde!"

nodaybut2day2007
#10re: Putting it Together
Posted: 7/25/05 at 5:39am

I took my iPod and put an audio out cable into a recorder for the iPod and got the audio that way. Turend out perfect CD quality.

Josh G
#11re: Putting it Together
Posted: 7/25/05 at 5:41am

A good program to use is: ImTOO DVD Audio Ripper. There are different versions but if you visit ImTOOs Official website im sure you can find one that works for you.

Videos