Defying Gravity

BarrettBean
#0Defying Gravity
Posted: 7/24/05 at 10:14pm

So, I saw Wicked for the first time last weekend, and liked it (I have a brief review on my blog at http://dramastream.blogposse.com/2005/07/25/wicked/), but one question I had: at the end of the first act, Elphaba didn't actually fly. I know when I saw the song done on the Tony's last year she took off, so has that been cut from the show, or was it just a problem the evening I saw it. Thanks

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#1re: Defying Gravity
Posted: 7/24/05 at 10:16pm

Wow. That's interesting. No, they didn't cut it. Something must've been wrong with the flying effects.

This is my signature.

timote316
#2re: Defying Gravity
Posted: 7/24/05 at 10:17pm

Its still in the show. Shoshana (I'm assuming she was performing) probably could not get herself properly restrained in the lift off device (which is essentially a cherry picker). If she doesn't latch herself in properly and completely, the device does not operate as a safety precaution. Stuff like that happens in live theater.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#3re: Defying Gravity
Posted: 7/24/05 at 10:50pm

There could have been a problem. I was going to lotto the nyc show today, but because there was a bomb threat we werent allowed to cross from 7th to broadway, it was odd.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

.LittleWing. 0224 Profile Photo
.LittleWing. 0224
#4re: Defying Gravity
Posted: 7/24/05 at 11:17pm

there was a review here a few days ago where someone said shoshana couldn't get the safety bar to click properly, so she didnt fly.... just walked down the center of the stage and sang the hell outta the song. and when that happens the ensemble have directions not to come out at the end. Sorry you didn't get to see her fly, its pretty amazing if its the first time you're seeing it.

theatrefanatic17
#5re: Defying Gravity
Posted: 7/25/05 at 10:04am

yes, that is definatly not supposed to happen. It sucks that you didn`t get to see her fly. However, I`m glad that she won`t "defy gravity" if she is not safely locked in. We don`t need any more rib injuries.

BarrettBean
#6re: Defying Gravity
Posted: 7/25/05 at 6:46pm

Thanks everyone for the info. The fact that she didn't fly didn't affect my take on the show very much. It wasn't till after the show I said "hey wait a minute, wasn't she supposed to fly?" But I got the impact of the song from the performance. I still have mixed feelings on the show, but as I've listened to it 74 times over the past week, I'm coming around. :)

Videos