pixeltracker

Broadway Singers who Smoke......- Page 7

Broadway Singers who Smoke......

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#150smoking
Posted: 6/7/06 at 8:33pm

Why does the persona of the poster who bumped this not surprise me?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Sondheim_Disney1595
#151smoking
Posted: 5/7/15 at 10:42pm

Thought this was an interesting thread and thought we should revive it.

Broadway Smoker I know of

Blake Hammond (Living on Love)

Any others?

Updated On: 5/7/15 at 10:42 PM

jonanthony2 Profile Photo
jonanthony2
#152smoking
Posted: 5/10/15 at 6:13pm

Liza Minnelli smokes if nobody has noticed what it has done to her once fabulous voice. Painful to listen to and very sad. But it is her choice.

forgetmenotnyc Profile Photo
forgetmenotnyc
#153smoking
Posted: 5/10/15 at 11:44pm

I have found a big difference between smoking cigarettes & smoking weed. Cigarettes, not so problematic. Weed? Really noticeable. I can usually hear the effects more in someones laugh than anywhere else. Especially when it's a deep chested laugh.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#154smoking
Posted: 5/11/15 at 8:10am

Most of the singers I know who smoke--including one opera singer who has been a soloist for 50 years--actually only smoke a couple of cigarettes every day.

I'm not sure even that is a good idea, but they aren't SMOKERS (like I was for 40 years).

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#155smoking
Posted: 5/11/15 at 8:17am

I thought this was that crazy hilarious thread about the cast of The Little Mermaid smoking in the alley.

Someone should bump that thread. I can't seem to locate it.

....but the world goes 'round

LarryD2
#156smoking
Posted: 5/11/15 at 8:18am

GavestonPS, I worked at a major US opera house for close to a decade, and unless something's changed, smoking is actually quite common among opera singers. I could rattle off the names of a dozen or more soloists who are or were smokers. That said, I've been out of the opera game for a few years now; smoking might not be as common as it once was these days. And it's probably worth noting that many of the performers I worked with who smoked were European, and smoking has remained more common and accepted in many European countries while it's become more derided in America.

That said, I'm really struggling to understand why so many people seem to care who smokes and who doesn't. (And this is purely speculation, but I imagine Miss Minnelli's vocal decline is related more to alcohol than smoking, as alcohol is far worse for the voice.)

Updated On: 5/11/15 at 08:18 AM