#50re: IS RENT CLOSING OR WHAT? YES OR NO
Posted: 8/5/05 at 10:54pm

Dat be Vin Diesel.

Urban
#51re: IS RENT CLOSING OR WHAT? YES OR NO
Posted: 8/6/05 at 7:27am

RENT closing?

If only we could be that lucky.

We got rid of BKLYN, now if we can get rid of RENT and Wicked, the world will be perfect.

nystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
#52re: IS RENT CLOSING OR WHAT? YES OR NO
Posted: 8/6/05 at 2:23pm

Like it or not, it if pure foolishness to put Rent on the same line as Brooklyn and Wicked.

DANDINI
#53re: IS RENT CLOSING OR WHAT? YES OR NO
Posted: 8/6/05 at 5:17pm

I don't like Rent at all and never have--just a hugely overhyped, overwritten mess with pretentious lyrics that use references that druggies from lower East Side would never use ("Carmina Burana"? Oh come on!), written to make suburban kids feel like they know the that culture. But I think Wicked, Rent and Bklyn are three awfully different musicals. Still, I would be happy to see Wicked and Rent closed.

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#54re: IS RENT CLOSING OR WHAT? YES OR NO
Posted: 8/6/05 at 5:24pm

I think it's pretty crappy when people who supposedly love theatre become HAPPY when any show closes, but ESPECIALLY one as phenomenal as RENT. I just hope you never know what it feels like to get a closing notice one day.

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

DANDINI
#55re: IS RENT CLOSING OR WHAT? YES OR NO
Posted: 8/6/05 at 10:03pm

I have dealt with closing notices several times, and probably know a great deal more about them than you do. Rent is, to me, a fraud, masquerading as a "Rock musical" when its style is not real rock, but what I would call "Comfy Middle Class Rock". I do not like theatres being empty, nor do I like actors being out of work. I DO dislike mediocrity being overpraised. And when such a mediocrity takes up the place in the theatre world that should be "rented" by a truly original work, I dislike it even more.

Sorry, it's only my opinion. It's not any more right than yours, but dear friend, do not consider yours any more right than mine.

aegeusrocks Profile Photo
aegeusrocks
#56re: IS RENT CLOSING OR WHAT? YES OR NO
Posted: 8/7/05 at 2:29am

While I dearly love Rent, IMHO it has overstayed its welcome. The original cast was amazing, I can't wait to see them in the movie, but since they left it's been a slow slide downhill, both performance-wise and attendance-wise. Even with all the buzz about the movie happening now, the numbers still havent perked up from their current slump hovering in the 60s. I would think that if the movie will have an impact, it would have at least shown some growth by now. Since it hasn't, I can only say that Rent should give way to a new musical sometime during the next season. It's the normal cycle.

#57re: IS RENT CLOSING OR WHAT? YES OR NO
Posted: 8/7/05 at 2:41am

Rent closed last night. Saturday August 6th was their last performance. It's been posted everywhere. Just do a search.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#58re: IS RENT CLOSING OR WHAT? YES OR NO
Posted: 8/7/05 at 2:43am

aegeusrocks, you couldn't be more wrong.

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#59re: IS RENT CLOSING OR WHAT? YES OR NO
Posted: 8/7/05 at 10:11am

Well, one thing is certain: This THREAD has overstayed it's welcome. At some point, the cynics invade and it drifts so far away from the initial discussion that it's best to just let the thread die.... You people don't like Rent. Good for you. Now can you move on? Bringing Wicked in to it is just an unnecessary tangent.

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

Forester Profile Photo
Forester
#61Rent is not closing
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:51am

Rent is not closing. It's making good money. It have a low overhead to run the show. The movie is comming out, which would boost ticket sales.

So, in a word: NO.