It's Official!

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#0It's Official!
Posted: 8/24/05 at 1:13pm

It's about time this came to fruition!
NINE TO FIVE:THE MUSICAL

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#1re: It's Official!
Posted: 8/24/05 at 2:23pm

I cannot bring myself to be excited about this project. Are you looking forward to it? If so, why?

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#2re: It's Official!
Posted: 8/24/05 at 3:09pm

I love the film and I've always thought that it could transition to stage well. Dolly also writes in many different styles of music so I'm sure the score will be delightful and fun. Can't you just see Lilias White as Violet?

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#3re: It's Official!
Posted: 8/24/05 at 3:46pm

ok, yes..that would be cool..I love Lilias White. I guess I'm going to have to wait to hear about casting before I get excited. I, too liked the movie, but a Broadway show? It seems a little like "scraping the bottom of the barrel" for an idea, doesn't it?

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

yipper Profile Photo
yipper
#4re: It's Official!
Posted: 8/24/05 at 3:54pm

Actually, the film really touches on some serious questions about corporate accountability, worker solidarity, and the nature of capitalism... all wrapped in a very funny story about three female workers trying to surive in a world where your basic choice is rent ourself out to some undemocratic cooperation and submit to their rules and prejudices. I hope it succeeds

Follow the Fellow who Follows a Dream...

yipper Profile Photo
yipper
#5re: It's Official!
Posted: 8/24/05 at 3:57pm

P.S.
These are themes that the musical "Rent" tried to touch on, but, in my opinion, really never hit.

Follow the Fellow who Follows a Dream...

Flahooley Profile Photo
Flahooley
#6re: It's Official!
Posted: 4/23/06 at 12:19am

Has anyone heard anything more about this?

Malice Profile Photo
Malice
#7re: It's Official!
Posted: 4/23/06 at 1:06am

I hate to say it but Miss Chenoweth would be a perfect fit for Doralee Rhodes.

jimnysf
#8re: It's Official!
Posted: 4/23/06 at 1:18am

Yawn. Just what the world needs. Another musical based on a film.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

CurtisTaylorJr2 Profile Photo
CurtisTaylorJr2
#9re: It's Official!
Posted: 4/23/06 at 1:54am

Should be interesting to see what kind of score they'll come up with

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#10re: It's Official!
Posted: 4/23/06 at 2:01am

Ok so this is kind of embarrassing for me, because I'm extremely anti movie to stage...simply for the lack of creativity. But this, my friends, this sounds beautiful. I may even pay to see it!

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

Over_the_Moon
#11re: It's Official!
Posted: 4/23/06 at 2:10am

Very excited!

"what have we learned? Don't smoke... don't do drugs and don't sing 'Defying Gravity'." -CATSNYRevival

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#12re: It's Official!
Posted: 4/23/06 at 4:01am

I love the score to the film. I have a deep passion for the '70's Sound' and if that sound isnt represented in the score I'll be pissed.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#13re: It's Official!
Posted: 4/23/06 at 5:07am

"Yawn. Just what the world needs. Another musical based on a film."

It seems snobbish to me to say that it is wrong to adapt a film: how about books? Les Mis, Phantom, Lestat- I would have thought it would be better to judge each work on its own merit than making broad dogmatic generalisations.

Carousel was based on a play- does that make it unoriginal? Passion and Nine were based on films- were they the work of hacks? Whatever you musicalize, it involves artistic choices in transferring the story to a new medium.

I'm going to wait and see: it's a catchy title track, but what else will it offer?

BroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
#14re: It's Official!
Posted: 4/23/06 at 5:22am

I believe that there is a place for some movies on Broadway and at the same time some movies that have already been turned into Broadway Shows should have never become. This is one of those movies that will do well on Broadway. It's a great story.