pixeltracker

MEF on FRAN'S BED *possible spoilers*

MEF on FRAN'S BED *possible spoilers*

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#0MEF on FRAN'S BED *possible spoilers*
Posted: 8/31/05 at 10:54pm

I just got back from the second preview of James Lapine's new work, FRAN'S BED, at Playwrights Horizons. The work shows a lot of promise, and the acting-for the most part-is superb, but serious overhauling needs to happen by the September 25 opening.

The story centers around Fran (Mia Farrow), who lies in a comatose state in an Arizona hospital. Watched over my her husband Hank (Harris Yulin) and her two grown daughters-big city career woman Birdie (Julia Stiles) and small-town mom Vicky (Heather Burns)-Fran takes several trips down memory lane, trying to let the audience now how she came to her position as a member of the living dead.

I know what you're thinking, and you're right: More than once during the intermissionless 110 minutes of this play, you will say to yourself, "This is Terri Schiavo on stage". Sadly, most of the time, it is.

Ms. Farrow is brilliant as Fran. Her wispish, almost childlike innocence could win over even the most hardened theatregoer. In a season when so many felt that so much had to be spelled out to the most minute detail, her astonishing restraint is really a breath of fresh air. Uta Hagen would've been proud.

Mr. Yulin's role is seriously underwritten, but being the consummate professional that he is, he takes what he is given and does extremely well. Memo to Lapine: Beef up this role. There is a lot to be had under Hank's icy facade.

Ms. Stiles-an actress who, on-stage, I have mostly disliked-totally won me over here. Her grief, poise and strength is totally dead-on. This is the finest performance of her still-blossoming career.

That cannot be said of Ms. Burns, who is painfully miscast and needs to be let go immediately. This woman shows absolutely no emotion at all, be it pain or joy or relief or anything. I felt as if I was watching a cocker spaniel act whenever she was on-stage.

The rest of the cast-especially Brenda Pressley as Dolly, Fran's Bible-thumping caretaker with quite a few tricks up her sleeve-are all in top form.

The sets are spectaular, but I'm not totally sure that I'm in love with the conceit of using a prothetic "Fran" propped up in bed, as Ms. Farrow sits next to her on a stool. An empty bed, as Fran moves around and recounts her memories, could be more powerful and symbolic.

With the right script changes and possibly an intermission (they try to cram way too much into their one act), this show could really be something. See it for Mia Farrow's masterful performance, if nothing else, because not much else is likely what you'll get.

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#1re: MEF on FRAN'S BED *possible spoilers*
Posted: 9/4/05 at 1:32am

I just saw it tonight, and I agree with everything that you said. However, I really liked Heather Burns in it. I also thought that the actress playing Lynne was spot-on.

Mia Farrow... What an actress, and what a performance. I also agree that this is the best work that Stiles has ever done.

iluvtheatertrash
#2re: MEF on FRAN'S BED *possible spoilers*
Posted: 9/4/05 at 7:45am

I'm seeing it October 2nd and very excited.

Great review, MEF.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

melissa errico fan
#3re: MEF on FRAN'S BED *possible spoilers*
Posted: 9/4/05 at 7:51am

Thanks, Iluv!

86, there's nothing you can do but marvel at Ms. Farrow's immense talent. I really think that she is one of the most tremendous (and tremendously underrated) actresses at work today.

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#4re: MEF on FRAN'S BED *possible spoilers*
Posted: 9/5/05 at 1:09am

Absolutely. She was fantastic in this, and revealed unaccountable layers in this woman.

I've always loved Farrow, especially in Rosemaey's Baby (one of my favorites...).

Jezebel Profile Photo
Jezebel
#5re: MEF on FRAN'S BED *possible spoilers*
Posted: 9/11/05 at 6:06pm

I would so love to see this! Mia Farrow is incredible.

Do you think there is any remote chance of it being extended to, say, the end of November? October 9th seems like a quick closing, considering it only opens on September 25th!

Would it be a surpise to see a show like this extend?

melissa errico fan
#6re: MEF on FRAN'S BED *possible spoilers*
Posted: 9/11/05 at 6:12pm

Jezebel-

No extension is possible. Christopher Durang's new play Miss Witherspoon opens at PH's Mainstage Theatre, where Fran's Bed is currently playing, on November 11.

Jezebel Profile Photo
Jezebel
#7re: MEF on FRAN'S BED *possible spoilers*
Posted: 9/11/05 at 6:16pm

Thanks, MEF. That's so disappointing!

I hope I get a chance to see Ms.Farrow on stage at some point, at least.

Videos